ABW Ambassador
    Have searched the forums for some time and can't seem to find an answer to this question.

The CJ tracking 1x1 pixel is the same tracking id for all links for a particular merchant.

If I have multiple links to the same merchant on CJ, does the CJ tracking 1x1 pixel have to be inserted with each link? Or can I just include the 1x1 pixel tracking link once and not have it for other links to the same merchant that I may have on the same page? So if I have 5 links to a specific merchant, can I show the pixel tracking link for the first URL link and not show it for the other four?

ABW Ambassador
    Don't change the link code. The merchants will not pay you for any sale on changed links.

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    Carneol - Thanks for the reply. We all want to be paid for what we do.

What I'm thinking though, is since the pixel code is identical for every link (as long as it's the same merchant), the CJ server only needs to receive the pixel tracking code once to record a sale. Any additional pixel tracking links would just record impressions and not sales.

So for link intensive pages (for the same merchant) it might be a way to cut down on bandwidth.

ABW Ambassador
    as a newbie you should read carefully: don't change the code!

carneol

quote:
    as a newbie you should read carefully: don't change the code! carneol
    ??? An arrogantly worded and incorrect piece of advice. The 1X1 pixel tracking link does NOT need to be included for each and every identical link. Merchants will pay you just fine if you create 100 product links on a page and then only include 1 tracking link. What idi@t puts 100 identical tracking links on a page?

If you have the following links...
    http://www.qksrv.net/click-XXXXXX-YY...hantslink1.com
    http://www.qksrv.net/click-XXXXXX-YY...hantslink2.com
    etc

only put this image one time:
    http://www.qksrv.net/image-xxxxxx-yyyyyyy" width="1" height="1" border="0"

Other impressions are reduntant. (I don't even think your browser will download the image more than once, even if your page calls it 100 times. It will download it once and then use that cached copy to fill in the other 99 places.)

ABW Ambassador
    ToughTurkey - thanks for the support and information. Totally agree with you. I had shown a single link for multiple products about a month ago and I continued to get sales on those links. Then the well dried up. Guess it was just a dry period.

ABW Ambassador
    Bob, read the cj.com TOS and then decide on what TT sais and what he knows.

carneol

quote:
    Originally posted by carneol:
    Bob, read the cj.com TOS and then decide on what TT sais and what he knows. carneol

I agree with Carneol. It probably doesn't matter what is technically possible, or would make more sense. Its best to follow the TOS.

Apollo

ABW Ambassador
    Read the Publisher Service Agreement...it mentions impression data. According to the agreement - it is wrong to take the impression tracking images out.

In reality, alot of affiliates get away with removing the impression images. Whether they have a special previlege or what have you...it have never been fully explained.

Tod has been point blank asked about this...and has never said that it is OK to leave the 1x1 pixel images out. Oh course, we know he is company obligated not to contradict the Publisher Service Agreement.

I hate the stupid little images myself, but I include them with what CJ merchants I feel need for.

This rule has left me with being inspired to seek out new networks such as Performics where no impression tracking is necessary.

I hate anything that makes my pages download slower, or tends to freak my visitors out with paranoid thoughts as they stare at their status bar.

it is my observation that the tracking cookie is not required.

naturally it is against the TOS and i would recommend that anyone stick to the rules.

People, the key word in this thread is IDENTICAL!

If you are curious about how your browser handles mutliple identical tracking images why don't you create a page with 100 identical tracking images - and then upload it to your server. Type in your new url - mypage/test.html - and watch the bottom of your browser. Your browser WILL NOT load identical images! It will download the tracking pixel one (1) time, and one time only - and as I said before will use the cached copy to fill in the rest.

I am not saying discard all tracking images, but what bob95603 said was
    quote:
    The CJ tracking 1x1 pixel is the same tracking id for all links for a particular merchant.

and in such a case (such as onlinesports), there is no need to inflate the size of your pages with redundant images.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread