I had a reversal from GoCollect (a HUGE amount) and asked them what was that unqualified lead they say.
    This is the unbelievable answer they kindly gave:

"First, CJ limits the reasons for why we reverse sales in CJ. In our program, an "unqualified lead" means that you weren't the affiliate that sent us the sale. Now, how that can happen is if your cookie is sitting on someone's computer, which is active for 45 days, and then that same customer comes back a few days later, via a different affiliate's link, and makes a purchase. Sometimes CJ gives both of you credit, sometimes the wrong person gets credit. We go through each sale and verify who gets credit for each sale. If CJ & our internal reports don't match up, we then go to the URL that was last used before going into the GoCollect.com site. This then 100% guarantees that the correct person receives credit for each sale."

Did I say unbelievable?
    Yes it is to me, because it neglects all the things I used to believe make the AFFILIATION a serious way to earn money, and CJ a serious partner to work with.

Please give me some feedback on this.
    Monica

p.s. last minute update: all this months sales trough GoCollect were reversed!

Update e-mail from them:

"Hello,

I was further looking into the sales over the past week and I did find the route of the problem for the sale you mentioned below and some other sales that I came across.

It appears that one of our Customer Service representatives has your cookie on their computer. Therefore, when they have taken some orders over the phone, it is tracking through our internal reports as a customer service call sale while it is tracking through Commission Junction as a sale through your site.

I am contacting the customer service rep who's computer has your cookie stored. I will have them clear their cookies so this problem does not occur again. You might notice a couple of more sales being reversed today so I wanted to explain, in advance, the reason for the reversals."

The exact same thing happened to me...and they sent the exact same message. I do not know what to think, if what they say is true then why aren't I seeing "unqualified Leads" accross the board, with other merchants? I see a few, but nothing like what I get with GoCollect!
    Tami

Monica & Tami,
    Thanks for the posts. It’s so simple; anytime they want to reverse affiliate sales they just say that the orders came from their Customer Service representatives.
    If nothing changes, I’ll reduce the space on my sites for GoCollect!

IRS

Don’t ask why the ball doesn’t come.

ABW Ambassador
    I recently removed 1,600 Gocollect pages from my site. I had 1,000 click throughs, and ZERO sales. I have done much better with collectibles today

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

I am always looking for new merchants with data feeds to promote. But just looking at GoCollects forum on ABW is enough to keep me from ever promoting them. I mean the evasive answers to legitimate questions (if any answer at all), the removal of posts, reversals, and last but not least being their affiliation with parasites.

I would run not walk away from that outfit.

quote:
    It appears that one of our Customer Service representatives has your cookie on their computer. Therefore, when they have taken some orders over the phone, it is tracking through our internal reports as a customer service call sale while it is tracking through Commission Junction as a sale through your site.

I say that sounds like a load of BS! Anyway, it's their mistake, if their customer service reps are too stupid to clear cookies before placing an order...well...they should get another j*b!

Besides, why are their customer service reps placing orders through CJ? It just doesn't make sense. If the rep is accepting the order over the phone, and keying it straight in, how could CJ get it in the first place?

Like I said...a load of BS!

Drop 'em, and promote their competitors!

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Concerning the cookie issue, and the "last site visited" explanation...

ok.. whoa.. this puts makes me hot! I have been getting more reversals this last year from shoplifestyle.com. More, and more the reason is for unqualified leads. My understanding is that they are heavily promoted through... EBATES!

What did Arsenio Hall use to say? hmmmmmm

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    Famous Last Words
    "Hold my beer, and watch this"
    "What does this do?"
    "You're married?!"
    "I think I made a wrong turn"
    "Say! This stuff tastes nasty!"
    "No. I am not from around here. Why do you ask?"

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Besides, why are their customer service reps placing orders through CJ? It just doesn't make sense. If the rep is accepting the order over the phone, and keying it straight in, how could CJ get it in the first place?

Exactly!

ABW Ambassador
    This aint the first time. I had a gardening site (cj advertiser) do this about two years ago to about 100 dollars in commissions! They said basicaly the same thing.

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    Famous Last Words
    "Hold my beer, and watch this"
    "What does this do?"
    "You're married?!"
    "I think I made a wrong turn"
    "Say! This stuff tastes nasty!"
    "No. I am not from around here. Why do you ask?"

If it looks like cow manure, smells like cow manure ... well, you get the point.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

ABW Ambassador
    same here !!! every sales got reversal coz unqualified !!!

Time to reconsider the relationship

but anyone know others collectible merchants ?

Please explain something to me, because I am not just getting this, if you were credited a sale, and they say their rep is taking the order over the phone, and the rep has your cookie on thier machine, it would seem to me, that they asked the customer, "how did you hear of us?" and the customer replied "oh, im surfing and I am on www. blah blah. com and so the rep confirms this.....why wouldnt you get the sale?

the last referrer comment- if they use ebates, and the sale was first credited to you, and then the ebates cookie comes along, and they tell you, "oh we credit the last referrer"....
    that is no better than if they were using GATOR to Intercept your traffic and steal your money.

So my problem is this, if this is happening and I hear your solutions to the problem "Ill reduce space on my website" or "Ill drop them altogether" this isnt making sense to me. How come you are not taking them to small claims court and getting your money?

If a pickpocket came and took your wallet out of your left rear pants pocket, you dont say hey next time Ill put it in my right rear pants pocket, thatll fix em. Baloney, you go after the pickpocket dont you.

By not taking some sort of financial reparation action, you are allowing them to do this over and over and over. And the providers, laugh at you.

Bradley Professional Business Services
    P.O. Box 8413
    New Haven, Connecticut 06530

quote:
    Originally posted by Bradley Professional Business Services:
    Please explain something to me, because I am not just getting this, if you were credited a sale, and they say their rep is taking the order over the phone, and the rep has your cookie on thier machine, it would seem to me, that they asked the customer, "how did you hear of us?" and the customer replied "oh, im surfing and I am on www. blah blah. com and so the rep confirms this.....why wouldnt you get the sale?

the last referrer comment- if they use ebates, and the sale was first credited to you, and then the ebates cookie comes along, and they tell you, "oh we credit the last referrer"....
    that is no better than if they were using GATOR to Intercept your traffic and steal your money.

So my problem is this, if this is happening and I hear your solutions to the problem "Ill reduce space on my website" or "Ill drop them altogether" this isnt making sense to me. How come you are not taking them to small claims court and getting your money?

If a pickpocket came and took your wallet out of your left rear pants pocket, you dont say hey next time Ill put it in my right rear pants pocket, thatll fix em. Baloney, you go after the pickpocket dont you.

By not taking some sort of financial reparation action, you are allowing them to do this over and over and over. And the providers, laugh at you.

BPBS, I think that you got the point.
    Unfortunately, I'm from Italy and I can not take law action against their sale rep stupidity.
    I'm aware that at least the first sale was referred by my website and should be given to me (the huge one ) - and maybe the following ones are really the result of the cookie persistence, but I did not like how the things happened.

Monica

Some merchants that allow phone ordering use their own web sites to place the orders. They use IE or Netscape, shop their site and then go through the check-out. It sounds like that is what this merchant is doing.

It also sounds like their customer service rep had some free time and surfed the net. Somehow they ended up on an affiliates site and set the cookie. With unlimited actions, the affilaite would be getting credit for every phone order.

Are you entitled to those commissions - probably not. If they were going to reverse a bunch of sales because of their screw-up, they should have contacted you first and explained the situation.

Of course - this does not take into account whether they credit affiliates for phone orders or not. That's a whole different discussion.

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

Scott:
    For isolated incidents, that would be fine, but there seems to be a disturbing trend with this merchant, i.e. high percentage of reversals. Either they need to tighten their SOP or they're going to lose affiliates.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

quote:

It also sounds like their customer service rep had some free time and surfed the net. Somehow they ended up on an affiliates site and set the cookie. With unlimited actions, the affilaite would be getting credit for every phone order.

Scott,
    do you really think that with over a billion webpages out there that guy landed on my small website?
    I don't think so. I think that half the people that surf the net for shopping prefers to see the item online but hen places the order by phone ("you know that item, in red, this big, this tall, that large, as I saw on www.xxxxxxx") - thus the cookie.

I'm affiliated to your program, too, Scott. There's something I should know about your sales rep's cookies?

Monica

quote:
    Originally posted by Monica:
    Scott,
    do you really think that with over a billion webpages out there that guy landed on my small website?
    I don't think so. I think that half the people that surf the net for shopping prefers to see the item online but hen places the order by phone ("you know that item, in red, this big, this tall, that large, as I saw on http://www.xxxxxxx") - thus the cookie.

Maybe they were doing research onto who was ranking high in their category and you happen to rank well for one of the keywords. Maybe they were giving you credit for a sale. If they were giving you a credit for a sale and didn't delete the cookie after giving you credit for the first sale, would you be entitled to the other ones that did not originate from your site? Phone orders could be coming from a variety of sources.

I can only speculate at possible reasons. I was trying to explain a possibility from a merchant's perspective. There does not seem to be much feedback from merchants explaining how we run a business from "our-side".

quote:

I'm affiliated to your program, too, Scott. There's something I should know about your sales rep's cookies?

Monica

We don't offer telephone ordering, so affiliates get all the credit. Your cookies are safe with us, at least for the 60 days after they are set. Even the parasites can't get them.

Actually, I have goofed once or twice and left an affiliates cookie on a pc I used to place a test order. Generally they were small, so I just paid the affiliate.

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

quote:
    Originally posted by Scott Marino:
    We don't offer telephone ordering, so affiliates get all the credit. Your cookies are safe with us, at least for the 60 days after they are set. Even the parasites can't get them.

Yupeee for Scott!
    Monica

ps: your webundies sell like crazy

WEll, I was also given the phone order reason in a reply dated 28-Aug-2002.

Either their staff spends far too much time surfing our sites or they reallllly need to design a different method of taking phone orders. That is, if you really believe this is the problem.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread