Hi!

I was wondering what everyone's experience with reversal rates at CJ for clothing merchants have been? I realize that returns do happen, perhaps more frequently than with other types of goods. But I've got several at CJ that are running close to the 50% mark on reversals. NOT HAPPY.

I don't have this problem with ANY of the clothing merchants on other networks at all. In fact, others perform better overall, both in conversion rates and lack of reversal/return rates.

What have other affiliates' experiences been with CJ clothing merchants? Close to 50% reversal sound as high to you as it does to me, even when you factor in the type of merchandise?

ABW Ambassador
    Same here. I now have no CJ clothing merchants running...Because none of them could keep pace with the least producing clothing merchants at Performics.

I could leave a Blair CJ link up for 3 months and be lucky to see one sale. I put up a Blair Performics link and see lots of sales every single month.

Big Dogs at CJ ...one day they decided they wanted to start reversing every sale I got for them. Goodbye!

Sheplers at CJ ...they send out a complaint e-mail to all affiliates warning of bidding on their name ...coincidently they then stopped reporting alot of sales thereafter. Goodbye!

Elisabeth by Liz Claiborne and CWDkids ...sign up with them at CJ and see sales immediately within 24 hours ...then nothing thereafter. Coincidence? Goodbye!

Rochester Big and Tall at CJ ...no reported sales ...also notice they like to make out like their site is broken alot at night time, and give customers an 800 number to call. Goodbye!

I could go on and on. CJ clothing merchants are a complete joke.

Come on Akiva, get on this while it's hot!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The plus-size *women's* clothing places I have tried all suck without exception. (Yes they are at CJ). When they manage to sell, it usually reverses. More than 50%! They're on multiple sites, so it'll be a pain to rip their links, but I may get the urge eventually.

But Rochester Big & Tall has been an exception. They sell quite a bit (when those pages are ranking well in Google and someone's seeing them, anyway), for a clothier.

Rochester does have a lot of site downtime at night, though. But since most of my viewers don't buy anything from *anywhere* late at night anyway, I'm not worried about it.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ElegantPlus, first of all hi

==== BEGIN PITCH ====

EssentialApparel.com is a great program! I don't mean great for me, I mean it's green for affiliates! (which is great for me) Our top ABW member earned $1,253 for July alone! I bet we can work on something together and get some more cash flowing your way. Send me an email with a CJ PID and I'll give you access to our private forum here at ABW and I will work with you as I've done with many others.

==== END PITCH ====

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager
    EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! <
    SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! <

quote:
    Originally posted by kelly626:
    I could go on and on. CJ clothing merchants are a complete joke.

Saying all CJ clothing merchants are bad is not a fair statement. Not every one of us is a 50% reverser.

Speaking for my program, our returns are very low. Most of them are exchanges. Neither results in a reversed commission to the affiliate because the rate is so low.

I have seen industry papers that indicated that some of the large mail-order clothing companies do have 40% return rates. Personally, I find it hard to belive that they can still be profitable with 40% returns, but they make it work.

Most likely return rates are affected by the items and the audience. A couple examples:

How many pair of pants does someone try on before they find one they like? Answer: several
    How many pair of underwear does someone try on before buying them? Answer: usually none
    How many ties does a man try on before he buys one? Answer: usually none

Like the Video Professor TV ad says "Try my program. I'm sure you'll like it".

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

I must clarify, I meant plus-size women's outerwear merchants in my post which agreed with the general bleakness of the clothing landscape.

I can't really say anything about underwear until Google stops ignoring the existance of certain pages or I break down and pay Inktomi to send Slurp by.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Since Blair.com has programs with both CJ and Performics, I felt it would be beneficial to add my 2 cents.

Both programs are treated exactly the same way. Currently, there are very few instances in which a sale is reversed, regardless if it came as a result of a partnership through CJ or Performics. One instance is when I receive a duplicate order. This generally happens more frequently through the CJ interface if a shopper clicks the buy button twice. It doesn't seem to be a factor with the Performics interface. Another instance is if an order can't be processed, mainly due to a problem with the credit card submitted.

Chris Park
    Affiliate/Partnership Manager
    Blair.com
    cjpark@blair.com
    (814)726-6074

ABW Ambassador
    "I don't have this problem with ANY of the clothing merchants on other networks at all. In fact, others perform better overall, both in conversion rates and lack of reversal/return rates."

Exactly.

You clothing merchants at CJ that are the exception ...you're like a church goer in a bad crime ridden part of town ...you've adapted to your bad surroundings and think you're somehow safe.

I just bought another 20 clothing related names recently and they'll all feature Performics merchants.

Good luck with your newbies and their untargeted free traffic.

quote:
    Good luck with your newbies and their untargeted free traffic.

I am certainly not a newbie and the traffic the good guys will get, once listed, will be highly targeted!

ABW Ambassador
    I think when he said "Good luck with your newbies and their untargeted free traffic." he was referring to "You clothing merchants at CJ"

Performics clothing merchants convert the best tho.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Thanks to everyone that took the time to reply. And thanks for the welcome.

First let me say, I wasn't refering to any of the merchants that replied to this thread. Although I find Kelly626 comment about the differences with Blair between CJ and Performics interesting. I don't doubt that they run a clean program both places (I use them through Performics which I agree does PERFORM). But if that is the case, why is he finding a better conversion rate at Performics with the same merchant? If it's not the merchant, what is the problem in that particular instance?

This gets to the crux of what I am trying to sort out. 1.) Is it the merchants abusing a reversal system? 2.) Is there some problem with CJ tracking? 3.) Is there some difference in CJ rules that allows more reversals -- like their ability to *Extend* transactions for a longer period before it locks. Junonia does this. I hate that. 4.) Is there a problem with the merchant site itself that is causing people to leave before buying? 5.) Is there some problem with the merchants information -- like do they have ACCURATE size charts? If not, I can see why so many returns. 6.) Is it a merchandise quality issue? 7.) Is there something about CJ link building that can get screwed up more easily on the affiliate end that causes tracking problem? (Does anyone else dislike the one pixel thingy when they build their pages? Often causes things to look messy.)

All of these things are worth asking and could be causing the poor performance with clothing. I don't have the answers, but I'm beginning to ask the questions. If it is something I can fix on my end, I'll do it. If it's not something I can fix, I'll boot the "problem children".

And again, I wouldn't have begun asking if clothing merchants on other networks (Performics rocks) didn't perform so noticeably well in comparison!

ABW Ambassador
    Lots of questions ...they could go on and on.

One thing we know ...what works. No need to bother with CJ's problems.

Yesterday I switched over to Performics for an electronics merchant that stopped reporting sales at CJ. This morning I checked Performics and found a $120 commission for that merchant. Coincidence?

"(Does anyone else dislike the one pixel thingy when they build their pages? Often causes things to look messy.)"[/i]

I had a nightmare last night ...a one pixel CJ image was attacking me ...my computer had this gigantic status bar and I was on a dial up connection.

ABW Ambassador
    Akiva, you might be wise to listen to some of the other people on this forum.

I don't want to offend you because I respect you and your contributions to ABW, but my CJ apparel experience mirrors that of some other members here.

Maybe it's just coincidence but whatever it is, they say money talks and bulls..t walks!

IMO having a top player just breaking $1K/mo isn't bragging stuff.

ABW Ambassador
    1.2k/mo?

A handful of clothing merchants at Performics does that for me. I don't even know what I'm doing yet. I'm certainly not a top affiliate.

I had a 120 dollar commission from an electronics merchant yesterday, and today a 88 dollar clothing commission.

When's the last time you guys had a big commission at CJ that you felt confident wasn't going to get reversed?

Obviously Performics is picky with who they have on board ...and it shows.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread