ABW Ambassador
    So is this actually ever going to come?

I would like to move some stuff back to CJ so I get paid on time again, but am not looking forward to the mails of - "Dude your site is broken".

We have been patient Todd, how many months has this been a "priority" for CJ?

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    A backward compatible solution should be deployed in 1 day. I have submitted a possible implementation but it seems that they are developing at CJ times, %$#%$# I am angry

Todd: I have submitted 2 corrections to W3C HTML offical specs that have been accepted, so Im not an idiot telling nonsense solutions, I would like to hear what the person in charge of that code deployment have to say about the incredible delay, or is that person not accepting help besides not doing the homework?

Fer

ABW Ambassador
    I don't have any hosts file. It's unneccessary and dangerouse, so I deleted it.

carneol

Don't be too harsh on CJ, we know they *are* dealing with it. Can you imagine the amount of testing and checks they need to make to ensure that it works? If they rush the implementation and people lose commission, you can be suer that they'll get roasted.

I'd prefer that they take their time and get it right. Although *soon* would be nice

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

ABW Ambassador
    delete it!!!!!!In times of cable and DSL nobody needs it. Totally unneccessary.

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    Ok Carneol,

I will write a script that deletes every single visitor's hosts file from thier computer before they visit my site. (I Wish)

Deleting your own hosts file is not going to improve your sales.

Also even if a customer had previously deleted their hosts file the Supertrick that comes with Kazaa-Lite would create a new hosts.sam file so deleting it would be of no consequence.

ABW Ambassador
    It will not affect sales in any way, positive or negative but it will avoid beeing blocked from viewing special sites. My sons downloaded kazaalite and that made a lot of entries into the hostsfile which directed to local port so I was unable to surf to sites like cj.com, linkshare.com, ebay.com etc, or I was redirected to sites I did not want to surf. Of course I could edit this hosts file every day, but the solution I found was to delete it and all my troubles were gone. Since now kazaalite did not yet install another hostsfile. The purpose of the "microsoft hostsfile" is to accelerate surfing, but in times of DSL and cable there is no need of that at all.

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    I'd rather that the people at CJ take their time to test this change thoroughly, making sure it is error free in all possible circumstances, even get independant testers to try crashing the system before they even think of rolling it out.

CJ, take your time and do a great job. We're counting on you.

ABW Ambassador
    I understand testing, taking your time etc - but the fix was going to be delivered back in June. It is August. At this rate, this Thanksgiving I will not be giving thanks for the CJ host file fix.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    It will not affect sales in any way, positive or negative but it will avoid beeing blocked from viewing special sites. My sons downloaded kazaalite and that made a lot of entries into the hostsfile which directed to local port so I was unable to surf to sites like cj.com, linkshare.com, ebay.com etc, or I was redirected to sites I did not want to surf. Of course I could edit this hosts file every day, but the solution I found was to delete it and all my troubles were gone. Since now kazaalite did not yet install another hostsfile. The purpose of the "microsoft hostsfile" is to accelerate surfing, but in times of DSL and cable there is no need of that at all.

Hi Carneol,

The whole point of CJ creating dynamic qksrv URLS is to prevent the supertrick that comes with kazaalite from blocking delivery of CJ ads on a users computer when he is surfing your site. IF this was implemented then theoretically you would get more sales as surfers who are getting the adds blocked on visiting your site would no longer leave in frustration thinking your site is broken and possibly make a purchase.

Try running the supertrick again that comes with kazaa-lite and then go and look for the existence of the hosts file you deleted.

All the best, DPG

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by carneol:
    The purpose of the "microsoft hostsfile" is to accelerate surfing, but in times of DSL and cable there is no need of that at all.

Carneol,

The purpose of a hosts file is to translate a machine name (or a web domain name in case of web surfing) to an IP address. So you do not have to enter the easy-to-forget numbers to access that host or web site. Not to "accelerate surfing" directly. Well you can accelerate a little bit not looking at the DNS (domain name server) to resolve domain name to the appropriate IP addresss. This will accelerate may be 1%.

The issue of hosts file blocking access to CJ or other networks link-directed sites is because of the hosts file which resides on the surfer computer. Nothing to do with publisher's computer. If you delete you hosts file, you will be able to access those links/sites. But what happens to million others who got this crap in their computer.

Secondly, deleting a hosts file may not work well for everybody. I use the hosts file so that I can access a host through an alias . This host is not available in the public DNS.

CJ's dynamic DNS is the answer. The question is when we are going to see it at work.

ABW Ambassador
    I see some fans of the hostsfile. So keep it and keep the anger with it. DPG, what's with the script? I am waiting for it. I can not imagine that parasites don't know that issue and for avoiding beeing blocked they will dynamically change their ipadress within a certain address room. I am convinced they will do this. But keep the hostsfile if you are convinced you need it.

KCE: Of course I am a surfer and a publisher too and I do know that it has to do with surfers computer. I discussed this in a broader common view.

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I see some fans of the hostsfile. So keep it and keep the anger with it. DPG, what's with the script? I am waiting for it. I can not imagine that parasites don't know that issue and for avoiding beeing blocked they will dynamically change their ipadress within a certain address room. I am convinced they will do this. But keep the hostsfile if you are convinced you need it.

KCE: Of course I am a surfer and a publisher too and I do know that it has to do with surfers computer. I discussed this in a broader common view.

carneol

LOL! I give up.

KCEdit... great post

lhosts=machine name to friendly URL
    hosts= IP Address to friendly URL

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread