Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    An active AM here at ABW is able to send us reports via email of what sales were made on which dates. Included is also which products are being purchased. I challange every merchant to step up to the plate and be as active and do the same thing for verious reasons.

1) It allows us to see which items are being purchased allowing us to focus more time and energy on certain products which is a win, win situation for the affiliate and the merchant.

2) It allows us to compare our stats with what is being reported, which is also a win, win situation. It will allow us to be credited for sales that are rightfully ours and also will enable bugs, if any to be made aware of.

3) Feel free to add more reasons

Kudo's to the AM who is doing this now and hopefully he will be able to inform other merchants on how this can be done and why it should be done. I'll leave it up to him to add more input on this thread if he would like to. JMO of course

Merchant Coincidences, One of the Wonders of the World

Coincidence Me baby!

Another way of helping publishers would be if AMs sent out what products sold best in general on their sites. This would allow publishers to focus on driving customers to what is selling best vs the homepage and letting the consumers figure it out on their own.

I know some do this already but the more the merrier.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Todd, why don'y you just make it a requirment for AM's to feed that data back to us - don't you tell them which publishers do the best traffic and from what pages ?

Cheers

Richard

ABW Ambassador
    My question is why can't CJ provide this data to us in real time? LinkShare has absolutely no problem reporting which items where purchased, so I'm not quite sure why CJ can't do the same.

Michael

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Back in the good ole days, CJ used to provide some of that data, atleast if direct product links were used. I sure miss that feature. "Product Catalog 1" just does not cut it. On a positive note, the new features CJ has been unveiling are nice.

ABW Ambassador
    A merchant that sells mainly camcorders and digital cameras...I don't need to know which sales were cameras and which ones are camcorders. I'll already have all such products covered, and know they sell.

Do you seriously expect larger merchants like Catalog City to provide details to affiliates on all individual products sold?

Part of being a salesman is doing your own market research and knowing what products people are desiring.

If a Bart Simpson Booblehead is selling well, you probably already knew it was hot. Do you want the merchant to inform all affiliates then that Bart Simpson Boobleheads are selling? You could then concentrate more on pushing such an item, but so would every other affiliate informed.

Being informed by merchants of such details would be great if you were the only one being informed.

Find unique products on your own that sell well and keep it a secret.

Todd,

I agree. It is helpful when merchants let the affiliates know what are top sellers or what seems to be the hot seller at different times of the year. More and more merchants seem to be doing that. The more info an affiliate has the better chances of increasing sales. JMO!

Kit, it would be nice if we could get a data report from all of the merchants. Not what the same report that we receive from CJ, but a seperate one that the merchant has on our sales and which products. One merchant at CJ can do it so obviously others must have the capabilities also.

Emdub, thats what all of us are wondering I agree with DFLsports, some of the new features are nice, but for some reason it seems like CJ keeps taking a step backwards when it comes to giving us information that only makes sense, like product stats. Again, JMO!

Kelly, I'm talking about our individual stats. What products I sold for a merchant that is emailed to me personally.

Take the challenge merchants, GIVE US THE INFO WE WANT AND NEED!

Coincidence Me baby!

ABW Ambassador
    What I do is create a Hot List at Cj. I have phoned several merchants. And chatted with them on increasing my bottom line. In the process I ask questions like when is their highest selling season, and what products sell the best at which holiday etc.

YOu'd be surprised to what you hear.

Most merchants say "Whatever is on the front page or "top sellers" is what is selling hot.

But some do have intreasting ideas, and stuff.

Yes I run way to many sites and have too many merachants to keep track of what product I've sold. And it would be nice.

But even at LS. I could have someon come off of a computer site and buy a Ralf lauren sweatshirt at Overstock. Etc.

But with the help of sid's things should get easier. Now to spend time implementing those all in. YIKES.

"Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open." Thomas Dewar

ABW Ambassador
    "I'm talking about our individual stats. What products I sold for a merchant that is emailed to me personally."

You're wanting something that would have all affiliates getting these individualized stats showing which items are hot sellers.

If a product you don't concentrate on is found through such stats to be selling, it's most likely that many other affiliates of a particular merchant are getting sells for such items they didn't know were so hot as well...they will thus do just as you would do...push that item, and launch full SEO campaigns for such.

Martha Stewart had it right LOL...get the inside information that nobody else will get. Just make sure it is legal.

Which products are being purchased should be showing up in the affiliate tracking software!
    Am's could send out a list of their top 20 sellers and how much their top 20 affiliates made in a month. No need to mention affiliate names, but knowing how much others are bringing in from a specific merchant would help others get motivated.

Kelly,

quote:
    If a product you don't concentrate on is found through such stats to be selling, it's most likely that many other affiliates of a particular merchant are getting sells for such items they didn't know were so hot as well...they will thus do just as you would do...push that item, and launch full SEO campaigns for such.

First off, of course a merchant would want everyone to have that information about the top sellers. They would be nuts not to because they want everyone to sell as much as they can of their products. An am who doesn't want that should be fired.

Secondly, if you read my first post your missing what I am asking for. I want my individual stats. I want my individual sales and product stats. Not yours!

One report that was emailed to me from a very active AM had the information of what my visitors bought. It also showed a sale that wasn't being reported in my stats and the same was happening with other affiliates, thus the reason CJ is giving the 2% extra I believe to try and make up for lost sales or sales that may have been credited elsewhere.

If the merchants were to give us a monthly report of what they are showing, we would be able to compare it to what CJ and other networks are showing. Kind of a double checking system that would make me sleep better at night.

It also allowed me to see what products my visitors bought, not yours last month. One of which I was very surprised at that was selling this time of year.

Coincidence Me baby!

quote:
    One merchant at CJ can do it so obviously others must have the capabilities also.

Oh, if only all merchants ran the same backends on their sites...but this is not the case. The information that gets sent to CJ comes from somewhere, and that somewhere isn't the same from merchant to merchant. What could be simple for one is highly difficult for another.

I can give this information to affiliates that want it on a per-request basis. I do this manually and it takes some time. Email me at patrice@eastwoodco.com if you'd like more info.

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com
    v: 610.323.2200x2206
    f: 610.323.6268
    ::visit our private forum on abw::

Patrice,

quote:
    What could be simple for one is highly difficult for another.

I was afraid that would be the situation. Thats decent of you to make that offer even more so because you would have to do it manually. I haven't gotten in to your line of products YET but I am sure alot of your affiliates will appreciate that offer. Thanks for accepting the challenge

Coincidence Me baby!

ABW Ambassador
    Alright, I didn't know your site was that unique.

I was just thinking that I might get the same clues from my reports from that particular merchant that Boobleheads are hot. Maybe not.

I think what's playing in the background of my mind is that all these extras always costs someone (time is money they say).

All the bells and whistles at CJ... I don't need half of them. They're costing somebody...and it boils down to me and you.

The more CJ charges merchants, the less they can offer in commission, and yours and my income both goes down as result.

Can merchants do this on their own? Maybe. A few might. Larger merchants probably won't...they just aren't going to waste their time.

Getting a personalized e-mail of any kind from most merchants is hard to come by...and you expect personalized detailed disclosure of business transactions.

I applaud the basic concept of what you're proposing. Just wondering if you had pondered all angles of the scenario, other than simply how it would be convenient.

Kelly,

quote:
    I applaud the basic concept of what you're proposing. Just wondering if you had pondered all angles of the scenario, other than simply how it would be convenient.

It's really nothing to do with convenience, but rather it is another tool for us to use to help increase our income and also keep an eye on the reporting of sales to make sure everything is being reported or as close to everything that technology will allow. JMO of course!

I also get where your coming from with a top 10 seller list emailed network wide where it could be giving away a well kept product that we might be selling that doesn't have alot of competition Once again though, the original topic of the post is you getting only your stats and me getting only my stats from my merchants.

Coincidence Me baby!

Maybe I'm missing the point.

Why would it be difficult to report what item sold if you are using product specific links?

Is it really that much trouble to report? If they can show the price and link id why can't they show the item being purchased?

Like I said maybe I'm missing the difficulty in this.

You have to remember that the entry is not always the exit...they may have clicked on a blue widget but purchased a red one. If you record the click for the blue widget as if it were what was actually purchased, you'd get the wrong info and promote the heck out of the blue widget when it is the red one that is selling.

Let's not even get into them clicking on the blue widget but buying the red widget, the yellow ding dong and the chartreuse hee haw kit.

In theory, everything is easy.

-patrice

affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Packy,

We already report on BF and when i designed KB for our in-house prtion, that feature was built in. You can see what you sold and when you sold it.

Example:

SKU Product Imp. Clicks Orders Returns Net Orders
    M17-7510 TR Microsoft Office XP Professional OEM 30 Day Trial 4 4 4 0 4
    TC2-DDR-256 P PNY Premium 256MB PC2100 DDR 266MHz 3 3 4 0 4
    S457-1015 Speeze Socket A/370 Cooling Fan up to XP 2200+ 2 2 4 0 4
    TC1-1026 Intel Original P4 (478) Cooling Fan up to 2.53 GHz 3 3 3 0 3
    TC1-6001 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive 3 3 2 0 2
    TC1-9115 CD-ROM / CDRW Audio Cable 7 8 2 0 2
    KBM-BL Chieftec Wireless RF Infinity Blue Keyboard and Mouse 3 5 2 0 2
    tc1-9200p Gigafast EZ500-S 5-Port 10/100 Palm Sized Switch 6 9 2 0 2
    L40-1150 P Lexmark i3 Color Inkjet Printer 12 26 2 0 2

As always, we have the affiliates best interests in mind. There is no excuse for not having open 2 way communication and that includes reporting of sales data as well to help you do your job.

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com

Parasite Free in 2003!

That's defnitely spells it out for me!

It would be a nightmare to implement something like that on a large scale.

Thanks for answering Patrice, you've been very helpful.

Jeremy

ABW Ambassador
    Who would have ever know such products were hot?

Taking notes...windows XP, cooling fans...

Which such inside information you'd be the smartest affiliate this side of BeFree.

You're welcome, Jeremy.

Like I said, some merchants are set up so that it is relatively easy to report that way, some are not.

Along with the per-request item detail reporting, I will try to be more proactive in mentioning what items are bestsellers. That will be in the Eastwood forum.

-patrice

affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by kelly626:
    Who would have ever know such products were hot?

Taking notes...windows XP, cooling fans...

Which such inside information you'd be the smartest affiliate this side of BeFree.

Kelly, whever you want, you can call me and i will give you so much that you too will be on my top 25 list every month.

The biggest problem we face as AM's sometimes is that affiliates "don't" want to do the research or work to promote the right products. I can count with both hands how many partners have "asked" me what to promote based on their site content. Those are the ones you frequently find in the top 25 list

As much as i preach 2 way communications, sometimes it's the AM doing all the communicating landing on deaf affiliate ears...

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com

Parasite Free in 2003!

Hey guys and gals sorry I'm jumping in late... was fixing a major problem on my private network this morning.

Dapackster is referring to me I send out detailed reports several times a month (depends on partner volume), detailing all items sold with a list of referring URL's. This reporting system was implemented into the reporting section of our intranet after many months of me begging for it. I don't know if *every* merchant can do it since it requires new database functionality and having the PID recorded in the data table and searchable. The easy part, which any merchant running on their own platform can do, is grabbing the PID. CJ gives merchants the option to have CJ pass the PID on every click. When the PID is passed to your system, your system grabs the PID and writes a cookie or does some other tracking magic and it can be retrived at checkout and recorded in the reporting table.

That is as much info I'm giving away. If you want to see one of the reports, you'll have to join tne EssentialApparel.com program, make some sales and I'll send you a report

Thanks Dapster!!

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager
    EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! <
    SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! <

I still think if we can get enough merchants to do what Akiva is doing we can get a better idea as to where some of the problems are. JMO of course. Things still just don't stack up IMO. Way too many high and low points going on with CJ and not the others. Just don't make sense.

Coincidence Me baby!

As I mentioned, if you'd like this type of reporting from me for a specific period of time, just let me know.

-patrice

affiliate.manager
    eastwoodcompany.com
    aim: patricemilligan
    ::visit.our.private.forum.at.abw::

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast