And once you learn how, tell me how it's done! My Commission Junction stats on my "home" page have been silly for the last few days. I've been consistently getting four times as many clicks for each impression. This is impossible of isn't it? How can I get more clicks than the number of times the ad is seen! For example, yesterday I had 122 clicks and 26 impressions.

The other thing I've noticed is that my stats only get updated once a day. So today I see my stats for yesterday, and I'll see those numbers all day.

Anyways, I thought you'd get a laugh out of this. What do you think, should I write an internet marketing e-book?

thx

ABW Ambassador
    You can get more clicks than impressions if the same person clicks on more than one link. The impressions will stay the same, but the click throughs will go up.

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

quote:
    Originally posted by cjshoppingnetwork:
    You can get more clicks than impressions if the same person clicks on more than one link. The impressions will stay the same, but the click throughs will go up.

http://www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Could you elaborate a bit? A sample scenario would help. I guess they need a new animated icon for "egg on face" emoticon.

thx

You can also get more clicks than impressions on your text links if you don't have the "invisible" web beacon / 1x1 pixel gif in your code. (you may not have properly copied it into you html, or accidentally deleted it.

If you have more than one text link like this, one properly coded with the 1/1 beacon, the other not, this will skew your stats.

Apollo

ABW Ambassador
    The impressions are counted by banner displays.

A typical banner link has the main link which begins with: www.qksrv.net/click

and the banner image which begins with: www.qksrv.net/image

A CJ computer delivers the banner. So when the browser delivers the banner, they increment your impression count. When the user clicks on the image link, they increment your click count.

You are getting four clicks for every impression because something is causing your images not to display. In your next post, you happen to mention that sometimes you don't display the image. Mystery solved.

You will notice in the text only link, that they generally include a one pixel image for tracking.

Many affiliates don't bother displaying the one pixel images with text links. These affiliates have a high click to impression ratio.

For the most part, affiliate marketing is concerned only with the clicks. I suspect that there are a few merchants that follow the impression count.

sound thinking

quote:
    Originally posted by Apollo:
    You can also get more clicks than impressions on your text links if you don't have the "invisible" web beacon / 1x1 pixel gif in your code. (you may not have properly copied it into you html, or accidentally deleted it.

If you have more than one text link like this, one properly coded with the 1/1 beacon, the other not, this will skew your stats.

Apollo

Apollo,

Then perhaps its because I've been creating my own links with just the SRC URL as the target. (see my other thread titled "Am I royally screwing up...")

thx

androidtech,

Take a look at the following example of a merchant TEXT link:

IMG SRC="http://service.bfast.com/bfast/serve?bfmid=SITEIDHIDDEN&siteid=SITEIDHIDDEN&bfpage=TargetCo" BORDER="0" WIDTH="1" HEIGHT="1" NOSAVE

a target="_blank" href="http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=SITEIDHIDDEN&siteid=SITEIDHIDDEN&bfpage=loan_link" onMouseOver="window.status='Report.com'; return true" onMouseOut="window.status=''" Click Here to Receive Your Free Report.[/b]

For a merchant text link, the bolded text is the web beacon/tracking pixel, and the second part is the actual hyperlink. If you don't include the web beacon as part of your HTML, your stats are going to be off.

Apollo

Apollo,

Thanks for the detailed reply! That really helped.

:dance :

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Many of the top earning affiliates show no impressions and very few clicks. Seems like this riddle can be solved by a short and sweet poem....

I'm a HO
    Your a HO
    Ever want to B-a-HO

God I'm losing it .... pass me the blue pills Charlie.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Click three times on the banner if you love me ...twice on the back button if you ain't goin to show

Tony Orlando and Dawn ...

I got a lot of clicks and sales everyday but 0 impression.

I have removed the impression tracking pixel for the last 8 months.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread