ABW Ambassador
    CJ has a 5-element bar scale for ranking network earnings (payouts to publishers, actually) of advertisers.

Anyone know what each element of the bar scale represents, and is it a linear scale?

Are four-element advertisers heavy payers, or is this a green smokescreen?

Good question...
    I'd like the answer t othat one as well.
    I had "5" prior the the last "upgrade" and now I'm at "4". I know of several affiliates that had the same experience.
    CJ is harder to figure out than Google theese days

It's bogus. I have been at 4 from almost the day I opened my account! And, Goddess knows, I sure wasn't earning squat in the beginning.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

I thought this was covered in a thread from six months ago. The understanding, from where I have no idea, was that the center bar was equivalent to the earnings of an average affiliate. At that time I was doing a 3-month of about $5 and showing to the center bar.

If that was/is true, then times are tough all over. (I heard even the subways were in the hole)

_____
    She was only a stableman's daughter, but all the horsemen knew her.

ABW Ambassador
    Network Earnings
    This ranking shows how you rate with other publishers in the network based on the volume of commissions earned. Ranked using the "$", the Network Earnings are based on a scale of zero-5 "$". New publishers are ranked as "New" for their first three months in the network. Publishers earning zero commissions are excluded from the overall calculation and given a "blank" rating. The ranking is calculated relative to the entire network based on the same revenue number used to calculate 3-month EPC. The specific ranking is as follows:

$$$$$=95th percentile and above
    $$$$=80-94th percentile
    $$$=60-79th percentile
    $$=40-59th percentile
    $=39th percentile and below
    Blank=No commissions earned

That's for us publishers. Assumption (& you know what they say about that) would lead me to believe that advertisers have the same scale.
    source - You might need to be logged in.

Pete,

Thanks for the response. Six hours to get the answer - not bad.

On a side note, the number of publishers and the range of earnings in the fives and fours is pretty broad. That is why you sometimes hear of one publisher stating they are a four yet their earnings are rather low and then you may hear of another four with much higher earnings.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Is it just me or WhizNot is asking about ADVERTISERS' NETWORK EARNINGS bars, and what they represent, not affiliates' earning bars.

I also would like to know what advertisers' network earnings indicators represent.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, I was really wondering about the scale for advertisers, not publishers, but thanks folks.

One reason I asked was because I believe if you want to catch fish, you have to go where the fish are. So I was just trying to get a better handle on how big the school is for three and 4 $ advertisers. I've found the 5$ scale to be generally a good indicator of a strong affiliate program but the lesser $ ones seem to often be on shaky ground.

ABW Ambassador
    From the same link I posted above.

quote:

Network Earnings
    This is the total monthly volume of commissions paid by this advertiser (subtracting any charge-backs) relative to the rest of the network. This is done using a "dollar sign" rating system. The system uses the following criteria:

$$$$$=95th percentile and above;
    $$$$= 80th-94th percentile;
    $$$=60th-79th percentile;
    $$=40th -59th percentile;
    $=39th percentile and below;
    No rating means that no commissions were paid out by this advertiser.

quote:
    Originally posted by Whiznot:
    I've found the 5$ scale to be generally a good indicator of a strong affiliate program but the lesser $ ones seem to often be on shaky ground.

The 5$ merchants are generally good programs. Many times they are from large companies that have a wide assortment of products. Simply by having 1,000's of products, their gross sales will be large, putting them in the 5$ range.

Many of the 3$ and 4$ merchants also run solid programs that convert well. Many are niche sites that will never compete with the gross sales totals of the big boys. They often have better customer service or unique products that the bigger companies don't. Many are under exposed compared to the 5$ merchants, and there is less competition for getting good ranking on links to them.

As far as the 1$ and 2$ ones go, there are also some diamonds in the rough. Some of the new programs hover near the bottom until they find a few good affiliates to boost their sales. A good EPC is an indication that they might be worth looking at. Of course if they have had a program for years and are still near the bottom, it's not a good sign.

Just my $0.02.

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

Todd, can you check the PM I've sent you a few days ago?

Re. fact that significant number of publishers may have dropped (like 5 to 4) earlier this year. Would that have been due to CJ starting the policy of a fee for idle accounts? If that winnowed out deadwood occupying the lower tier and raised bar overall?

ABW Ambassador
    Wait a moment Pete:
    if cj.com has 1000 affiliates and they earn $10000 in commission the average amount per affiliate is $ 10. If I earn $8 I get the $$$$ if I earn $10 I get $$$$$ and If I earn $15 I also get $$$$$.
    Did I understand this correctly?

carneol

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    If the average is $10, and you get $10, that would put you smack at the 50th percentile. (The average of something is always the "50th percentile.")

That's only TWO bars/$$.

Someone who actually thinks math is fun can figure out which percentile $15 would be in your scenario...

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread