I have two competing merchants for the same goods that I want to be an affiliate for.

Affiliate A offers 15% but no customer tracking. That is, if the customer doesn't buy _that day_ coming from a direct link from my site, and buys on some later day returning on their own, I don't get a commission at all.

Affiliate B offers 6% but will give me credit for the sale for up to 45 days from the time that the customer was referred by my direct link.

Since I don't have any metrics or statistics on how many sales are made on a return visit by a customer, I don't know which one of these agreements will be better for me.

What does your experience tell you? I'd appreciate some details please so I can judge how similar your situation is to mine.

thx

ABW Ambassador
    Most likely you won't know until you give them both a shot.

Neither merchant will tell you upfront how honestly and accurately they will report sales.

Additionally, one may have all the goods in stock they advertise on their site ...and excellent customer service ...and the other may not.

Bad merchants have a talent for offering the moon ...plenty of incentives, etc. Cheap merchandise requires lots of advertisment they say ...So do cheap and crooked merchants.

A few years ago on a different forum, a merchant had said, "now, if we can just find a way out of paying our affiliates". I have never forgotten that statement ...and have come to know it is the motto of most merchants ...sad to say.

It the products are impulse buys, you're probably better off with A. But if it's a "bookmark this site and think about it" product, then B.

That assumes both are equally honest about paying what they're owed.

Not necessarily a safe assumption.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    now, if we can just find a way out of paying our affiliates
    Dayum. DAYUM! DAYUM! They got some balls... that's f*cked up.

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    www.webproconnect.com

ABW Ambassador
    Do lots of trial and error to locate your core merchants. These should have great conversions and payout no less than 15%. I don't care what they are selling but it has to be high demand and 15% or more. No point scratching around for chicken feed.

If you keep searching and testing you will find these merchants.

Beware of the merchant that starts off at a high % and promises to keep it there then drops it by 5% per month till it is in the dust with the rest of the merchant's corn scraps that they offer you for your efforts.

Know Google as you know yourself and you will live to fight many battles - Sun Tzu

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Try sending an email to merchant A, asking him to increase his cookie duration, and ask why do they not have plenty of referal days, chances are - that they may just provide you with that option.

---
    "What we think, we become."
    -- Gautama The Buddha

On one of my aff sites, I switched from a 1 day cookie to a 30 day cookie merchant, loosing 2% in commission percentage. Sales were noticibaly better and in the long run resulted in more dollars.

Personally, I rarely give the 1 day cookie guys a second look. Based on how I comparison shop, I often take a few days to research before I make a purchase. I'm sure I'm not the only one who shops this way. A one day cookie would expire before I made the purchase.

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I agree with MissDonna.

As for the merchant who wanted to get out of paying his affiliates, all he'd have to do is say that HERE and maybe a couple of other places (just to make sure nobody missed it) and soon he'd have no affiliates left *to* pay!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Too bad both programs aren't at CJ, then you could compare their EPC data to see which one works best for other publishers.

Based on our data - if all things were equal (commission offers, conversion rates, prices, brand, availablity, etc.) and only the referral periods were different, I would go with anyone offering a referral period of greater than 3 days over session based.

Statistically, most purchases convert within 48 hours of the click. The percentage of conversions can be as low as 60% and as high as 98% within 48 hours - depending on the vertical.

If you throw in different commission rates as well as a different referral periods, it complicates things. The difference between 6% and 15% is pretty large (9%). If you consider that between 20% and 60% of sales could occur within the session, are you better off getting paid 3X commissions on possibly 1/3 the conversions? Looks like a possible wash to me.

The big question in my mind is who has the better brand, conversion rates, pricing and customer service. People are going to want to shop there over a site that doesn't have as strong of a brand, doesn't convert customers as efficiently, isn't as competetive on pricing, and doesn't have as good of customer service.

My $0.02

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Todd,

quote:
    depending on the vertical.

OK. You lost me with that one. Exactly what is the "vertical"??

Jim

Travel, financial services, retail sales, etc.

For expample, conversion rates for lingerie sales are far higher than for shoes within a 24 hour period. If the program had a one day referral period, I'd feel better if it were lingerie because it is more of an impulse buy and would convert at a greater rate over a shorter referral period.

androidtech, can you share the vertical for these advertisers you are comparing?

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    Todd ,

Thanks for the brilliant info It is so wonderful to have someone here who can state fact as opposed to our continual conjecture.

Know Google as you know yourself and you will live to fight many battles - Sun Tzu

To those asking about the "vertical":

It's audio editing software. It's a weird case where I can be an affiliate through either merchant and sell the exact same product. The one with the lower commssion but the better referral period is an aggregate reseller. The other with the higher commission, but the "direct link" only sale period is the product manufacturer.

BTW, if it affects the calculations, the product manufacturer actually goes as high as 25% commission if you do over $1000 sales in a month. Since it's a $50 to $250 product that is definitely achievable.

thx

Manufacturers versus resellers/retailers. Another dilemma. The manufacturer has the most information on the products and also has the most knowledgeable support (online and via phone). Retailers tend to have better prices, free shipping, coupons and the ability to sell more than just one product (up sell/cross sell). They also tend to try not to undercut their resellers on pricing but do offer bundles and other add-ons that can be unique.

If the retailer is a really strong brand (example: CompUSA) then you may earn more commissions since you could not only reference a specific product (audio editing software) but could also reference all audio editing software, hardware and peripherals. The consumer could end up buying 5 things, none of which you referenced - but of course you still get the commission.

I think some testing is necessary to determine the big picture and potential earnings. Try rotating the link every other day between the two programs for two weeks (let them each get the same weekdays - Mo, We, Fr, Sa, Su, Tu, Th) and let us know the results. Remember to allow for 48 hours or so after the end of the test to account for any sales that get tracked beyond the click.

Good luck.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

You are asking about one day session based cookies VS. a 45 day cooked merchant and as Todd said ...

quote:
    Statistically, most purchases convert within 48 hours of the click.

... and ...

quote:
    The difference between 6% and 15% is pretty large (9%). If you consider that between 20% and 60% of sales could occur within the session, are you better off getting paid 3X commissions on possibly 1/3 the conversions? Looks like a possible wash to me.

Then you said ...

quote:
    It's audio editing software.

Then Todd said ...

quote:
    Manufacturers versus resellers/retailers. Another dilemma.

I agree, I'm doing some consulting for a specialized niche market just like that! In this situation the reseller can resell or take an affiliate commission (higher worse terms and much leakage [800#s plastered all over] ... my recommendation to the reseller was to ..

1. Set up an tracking system (via step #2)
    2. Set up a affiliate program and recruit!
    3. Set up many PPC campaigns
    4. Measure the various metrics to maximize revenues; and
    5. Decide on the absolute route to take, accordingly, once you have real stats.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread