I was actually thinking about adding Sid to most of my links, mostly the links for merchants on pages that I use to do good with. Something like adding dapackster as the sid. That would give me (us) a chance to see where the sales are going to. This way, if some of you see dapackster in your stats, it would throw up a red flag or 100 of them. Of course I don't think the parasiteswould chime in. Any thoughts about alot of us doing this??

I'm showing a sid id in my stats that I can't recall ever using and can't seem to locate it. It has 4 letters and starts with CM_ _ Does this ring a bell to anyone? Drop me a PM if it does. It's posible it's mine and I just forgot about it and can't locate it. Maybe the merchant added it for some reason. Just thought I would check here.

Merchant Coincidences, One of the Wonders of the World

Coincidence Me baby!

We tried that before adding sid but the sales went down instead of up!

Go figure huh?

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

Nova, Ive always been a little hesitant about doing the extras they offer in my links For some reason if I don't just put them on my site without changing them sales seem to slow down for me also

What I was hoping is that if we add a signature Sid to our links then perhaps if things aren't the way it is suppose to be, then maybe we can say hey Nova, I have one of your sales in my acnt, I wonder how that happened. Obviously it must not be a good idea, becasue no one is commenting

Coincidence Me baby!

I know what you're saying there DP!

I always wonder why we have to always seem to add more and more stuff to our links just to make sure it's tracking even it's still not very reliable because of shady style of tracking issue!

When we start this affiliate I read how to create links for user to click and maybe make a sale and you suppose to get sales!

But then we have to do the sid, framing, adding script to make the user aware of the issue or just block the user if they have the parasite and so on and on!

But my hopes is very high that we will get a break someday!

pardon my ignorance, but what's SID ? and how do i utilize it ?

When you're making a link, click the "show advanced options" link on the middle left, then place whatever alphanumeric value you wish in the SID field.

When a sale goes through, it shows up on the transaction report.

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

quote:
    Originally posted by FFoc:
    When you're making a link, click the "show advanced options" link on the middle left, then place whatever alphanumeric value you wish in the SID field.

When a sale goes through, it shows up on the transaction report.

so, i'd be able to tell from which page a sale occurs ?

Nova, A break would be nice. Maybe some day down the road

Yup, What FFoc said and,

quote:
    SID stands for Shopper ID or Sub ID. You can use it to track the earnings for sub sites or members or your site or the performance of the same ad across multiple pages.
    More here http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=3116030063

Coincidence Me baby!

ABW Ambassador
    I know that lots of people use SIDs "especially the rebates and reward type sites" but our practice of using them was not on "standard banner links or text links" but in conjunction with links we built ourselves.

I swear we had several companies that did very well prior to us adding a sid (which we used more as a site section indicator) and they pretty much stopped after we added them.

We took the sids off and sales started coming back in. My theory is that the sids use is mostly tested on links provided by the merchant that are "standard links provided by the merchant".

Maybe there are others here who will say that sids used on customized links built yourself works fine but our experience showed some problems with "certain merchants" although it worked fine for many but not not all. As a result, we just backed them all off.

My suggestion to anyone considering using sids is to beware of this and make sure you take this scenario into consideration. Have a good baseline before adding sids so you can catch problems that may arise early. We didn't because I expected it to work with no problems - kinda like I used to expect our "trusted third party"..... well, we know how that goes right!

PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!

Boy! I just started to add SIDs to pages. The process is a pain as I have to manually add them to every single link. Not only that I want to track which pages are performing, I also want to know which links are performing.

So far I use SIDs on only a few pages, it's going to take me at least another week to wrap up this project without doing anything else.

My site is neither a rebate nor a reward site, and I use mostly customized links. It's too early to tell whether or not SIDs affect tracking. I doubt it, but you'll never know.

I was actually thrilled when running the transaction report with SIDs showing. But now with what DP and the Poons are saying... what should I do? Well, as stubborn as I am, I'll spend another week to add SIDs and back up all the existing pages just in case.

Paranoia on these pages is at an all time high! I find it hard to take some of these posts seriously - for ie. adding SIDs to links makes you lose sales?

Almost 75% of my links have SID included, and not only do they not affect tracking, but they are an extremely valuable resource. Especially since we went to the product catalogue system - SID's are an integral part of tracking, not an option.

and I would follow toughturkey just about anywhere in the affiliate marketing world.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Paranoia on these pages is at an all time high! I find it hard to take some of these posts seriously - for ie. adding SIDs to links makes you lose sales?

I understood that some people would take issue with the post but please..... Paranoia

The post was based on actual experience and I shared it not to scare others but to provide consideration for and to highlight the need for watching numbers and having a baseline when links are altered and to watch the numbers and to be prepared to respond accordingly if the numbers don't match up - thats all.

I'd tell you you the same thing if you went to change your links to framing them too because link modifications can and do impact the sales reported on them. I'd tell you the same thing if you made a change like removing prices too.

Is there a reason all those merchants put on their links - "Do not alter or tracking may be effected?" I have to assume there is a reason althought I'm not sure what it is?

I should add (after noting this post is in the cj section) that the links I experienced problems with sids and tracking with were on perfomics byo links and not cj links.

Performics also doesn't allow you to input a sid as part of a byo link process either. Should the fact they don't allow a sid to be directly input as part of the byo link process imply anything or is it fine to alter those links too?

For me.... I have way to many links to try and manage and the value I recieved (not being a reward type site) from having a sid provided little "to even less" real value.

Would I spend a couple of weeks "or months" going back and doing nothing but putting sids on my links - HELL NO - I'd build more pages and or sites - but I'd only do that because I'm PARANOID!

PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!

ABW Ambassador
    Would it be a good idea to add a personal 1x1.gif as sid so that we can see in our logs where it goes?

carneol

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    I'd tell you the same thing if you made a change like removing prices too.

DPG was reporting quite stellar results from following my suggestion to kill the prices.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

[This message was edited by Leader on August 17, 2003 at 08:28 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by carneol:
    Would it be a good idea to add a personal 1x1.gif as sid so that we can see in our logs where it goes?
    carneol

SID needs to be alphanumeric, not an image.

quote:
    I should add (after noting this post is in the cj section) that the links I experienced problems with sids and tracking with were on perfomics byo links and not cj links.

Sorry, I was referring to CJ SID's, which are very useful and safe.

quote:
    Sorry, I was referring to CJ SID's, which are very useful and safe.

Sorry I just can't help it!

As a merchant, I can say that there is nothing that I know of on the merchant side that would be affected by adding a SID. The only information that a merchant has control over is the part of the URL that goes to the merchant. The rest of it is left off at CJ. As you all know, the links go to CJ first for tracking, then to the merchant. Whatever SID you use does not affect the URL for the merchant. So I would say that any changes in sales or performance that you see with adding or deleting a SID have more to do with CJ than the merchant, though I'd hazard a guess that CJ would tell you that there is no detriment to using or not using a SID. It seems to be purely there to help you track your sales and has little to do with anything else.

I have no idea why the slowdown in sales would happen at the same time you added/removed a SID in the link. But I can tell you that most merchants would not care either way if you used a SID or did not, as far as I personally know.

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.manager
    eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com
    v: 610.323.2200x2206
    aim: patricemilligan
    ::visit.our.private.forum.at.abw::

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread