I was just checking out the new free shipping banners for fabric.com and I must admit, I don't see the humor in them. Every one of them says, "The person who dies with the most fabric...wins!".

Am I over-reacting to this or does anyone else find it a bit harsh? Maybe I'm a bit over sensitive from the time I've spent in Oncology watching woman on chemo doing needlework, or watching Moms doing needlework while their kids are being treated. I just think it's inappropriate, to say the least.

I'd appreciate your opinions.

Thanks,
    Ellen

Definitely not the most tasteful ad I have seen. As a shopper, I would not see that ad being a big motivator to click on their links.

Maybe you should drop them a line. I doubt they realize that an ad like that might be a turn off. At the least, they should offer banners without that saying.

Did I ever drop them a line. I asked them to provide alternate banners. Just have to wait and see.

ABW Ambassador
    Myself, I don't have a problem with it. It's just a variation on a popular saying. I seriously doubt they ever though of cancer victims when they created it.

I'm sure they'll come up with some less-offensive banners for you.

Michael

ABW Ambassador
    Not only might you offend your visitors, but a merchant or two might reject your site for such. We're not exactly living in the most "get it" generation.

One visitor recently sent this question:

" I found one green filtered cigarette in a pack of Salem’s. It took me by surprise because it is the only one in the pack with a green filter. Have I won a prize?"

The thing is, my sites have absolutely nothing to do with tobacco products. I have a few merchants who's agreements prohibit their links on sites that promote tobacco products.

My conclusion? No pun whatsoever. Everything is designed so that even a blonde won't get confused. Pardon this if you're a blonde

I'm a blonde

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager
    EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! <
    SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! <

I just used "cancer" as an example. There are many people who have lost grandmothers, mothers, etc to car accidents, old age, whatever, who have left behind all of their crafts.

This isn't quite the same as "the one with the most toys....".

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by ellen-s4y:
    This isn't quite the same as "the one with the most toys....".

Understood. However, it *is* similar since somebody could lose a child (in a car accident, or whatever) and the "one with the most toys..." saying would hurt just as much.

The bottom line is that it doesn't offend me, but it clearly offends some people. Better for them to either replace the banner or have an alternate banner for you to run.

Michael

Agreed.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I can see where it might have seemed a clever twist on words at a light moment around the office, but the message does seem inappropriate on balance. That's the feedback I've emailed to them as an affiliate in their program.

I think it is a pun on "he who dies with most toys, wins". Doesn't bother me.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Tracking affected??

I just hope that in twenty years people will look back and poke fun at the generation that was offended by every damned thing they could imagine. Death is part of life and it's something we all face. Deal with it.

The company likes their slogan. I think it's corney and stupid but it's their slogan. I hope they will give you better (no pun intended) material to work with.

I have "dealt with it" by removing their banners from my site.

They don't use this "slogan" on their website, the only place I've seen it is the new banner ads.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've got to agree with Heyder. The movement to sanitize everything reminds me of preschool!

I find nothing offensive in the slogan. Death *is* the end of the "game" (until medical science finds a way around it, which I'm sure will happen eventually), and having a way to "win" sure strikes me as less bleak than being so serious. It's serious enough without ADDING gravity to the situation. If someone dies with less sadness because he/she got more toys, fine!

Personally I don't care if I leave loads of fabric to my successors, though...

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    quote:
    Death is part of life and it's something we all face. Deal with it.

Easy to spew this unless you are having to deal with it!

Easiest way to deal with a banner or program you aren't comfortable with is just not run it. I havent seen the ad and while even if not offensive, obviously some people will find it to be in bad taste.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

I don't find it offensive at all.... in fact it's a joke I've heard used quite often - by patchwork enthusiasts in particular.

I wouldn't hesitate to put it on a hobbyist targetted site. Any collector/craftsperson/hobbyist is going to 'get it', whatever their bent may be.

Whether it's suited to other sites.. depends on the audience I suppose.

Ditto on pulling the banners. We're doing the same. Not really a matter of being offensive. Everybody gets the humor. But just too inappropriate to the particular niche.

Outside observation from someone who is not in their market, and will never promote them.

Seems very inappropriate, and in poor taste, especially for their demographic. Whether or not people laugh or not, seems secondary...

Do they really think this type of banner campaign is going to drive sales?

Me thinks not.

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Webmaster@krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

With half of the people I've talked to agreeing that it's inappropriate and the other half thinking it's not, I've decided I'm not going to run these banners. I'd rather not offend anyone, even if it's a small group.

I'm still waiting to hear from fabric.com about alternate banners to run. I'm sticking with text links for now (they convert better anyways)...

Thanks again!

~Ellen

Ellen, I saw their banners before you ever made your post yesterday. I didn't like them either and will not be putting them up. Whether they're in good or bad taste, they didn't sit well with me. A text link is all I put up too.

quote:
    Originally posted by Heyder:
    I just hope that in twenty years people will look back and poke fun at the generation that was offended by every damned thing they could imagine. Death is part of life and it's something we all face. Deal with it.

The company likes their slogan. I think it's corney and stupid but it's their slogan. I hope they will give you better (no pun intended) material to work with.

My mother runs a knitting and needlework store. They all joke with each other and customers: "the person that dies with the most unfinished projects, wins."

Lighten up people.

Life, Death, and Sex are some of the things we share with every creature on earth.

SJohnson@NO_Spam_ClickMagazine.Net
    www.ClickMagazine.Net

My mother is an avid seamstress and so are most of the women in my family. They have more fabric than anything else in their house. For those who are really into sewing, this is amusing. I often tease my mother about all the fabric. We are talking 30 some odd years worth.

Better add my 2 cents in here,

Not appropriate is not exactly the term I was thinking, but Talk about a Marketing Disaster. YUK!

The market should be to grab the new visitors and the existing.

Most Marketing is geared towards grabbing the NEW visitor; if the existing loves you already you just need to appease them with a sale here and there.

All banners are a part of your marketing goals. Get them with your vibrant color.... FABRICS. You are presenting them with YIKES...

look at your competitors, Joann.com, light -- bright-- and vibrant. The theme should stay the same.

But as this started so shall it end, just my 2 cents

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread