file size is 230MBs! I can't even get it to open without crashing my system. Tried shutting down processes, increasing page size for virtual memory without luck.

Any tips?

Sal @ PHATBargains.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    http://www.rarlab.com/ (WinRAR) It can open anything (size-wise), even the hugest CJ Feed, size is not an object!

You can now get CJ to give you a zip of *seperated* feeds. If you have this option, it shouldn't take much more processing once you get it open.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

230mbs is a large file but it shouldn't crash your system. Something else must be wrong with your puter.

Let me clarify, I am able to unzip the file. I just can't seem to open the resulting text file.

I inquired about the separated feeds several months back. CJ said they would do it but it would be limited to 5 merchants. Still the same policy?

Sal @ PHATBargains.com

Notepad will crash but wordpad could probably handle it.

There is probably something else wrong with your system. I am obtaining some seriously large feeds and am forced to open them with Word Pad or Note Pad. Break them in half then open them with the excel program.

Make sure your system is ok.

Defrag, check for a memory virus. Run that old faithful Virus checker. etc.. Basically check over your system.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    They quit imposing the 5-merchant limit on me with the last upgrade, but I don't know if there's a Trigger Figure for that or not...

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    Another way to go about it would be to use the Client FTP push option in tab delimited or similar to get it delivered to your server. Use Gzip to unzip it. Then write a script to pull different products into different tables in different databases. You can then explore your products using MySQL manager or similar.

This saves loads of bandwidth downloading the feed then upping the results again every week and when you have it all streamlined, your update process should take you under 3 minutes a week.

Changing over to tab delimited from XML will divide the size by 3

My 2c

Know Google as you know yourself and you will live to fight many battles - Sun Tzu

ABW Ambassador
    You can automate the entire process by requesting that CJ remove the datestamp from the feed name thus unifying the feed file name and utilizing cronjob to run the script you have written the day after your feed is scheduled to be delivered.

Make sure you write code that checks for the existance of the feed before deleting your existing databases or you will end up with blank sites if the feed delivery is late!!!

The first you will know of your feed delivery is a message in your inbox saying that the CJ feed has been delivered and all your sites have been updated with xxxxxx no of products (or whatever you program the script to tell you)

Know Google as you know yourself and you will live to fight many battles - Sun Tzu

ABW Ambassador
    You can schedule the script to run every day and exit if the feed file has not been delivered to cover all those times when CJ makes more than one delivery a week to cover errors in a previous delivery.

(Now why didn't I think of that before!)

ABW Ambassador
    I had to upgrade my pc to 512MB ram to unzip that feed.
    Then Textpad had no problem opening the feed.

Newly, happily unemployed. Free at last.. thanks to affiliate marketing.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    I've heard of other people having this same problem of not being able to open CJ's monster files. We started sending feed's to others outside of CJ(as requested). The only problem now is attaching the tracking. I'm not sure how I can attach the tracking code to each image so our affiliates don't have to worry about this.
    ???????

More RAM - yes ! Especially on slower systems (mine is a screaming 350MHz machine).

Try Textpad: http://www.textpad.com

Fred

You might just be a Parasite if..."You can't schedule a family reunion until after the parole board meets"

quote:
    Originally posted by Catherine G:
    I've heard of other people having this same problem of not being able to open CJ's monster files. We started sending feed's to others outside of CJ(as requested). The only problem now is attaching the tracking. I'm not sure how I can attach the tracking code to each image so our affiliates don't have to worry about this.
    ???????

Catherine G,

For those efficient in utilizing the data feeds, you do not have to set up the tracking to the images. Most of us already know how to do this. To set up the link tracking view the below link.

Example:

http://www.qksrv.net/click-MYPID-YOUR ID?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guidinglightvideo.com%2Fshop%2Fgames8.html

That’s all it takes.

Do not fret the inmage tracking. To test out the tracking set up your feed accordingly. Ask an affiliate that does not have you in there cookies. Then do a test buy! So simple.. And whalla you can offer your feed preferably by creating a page that says click here to download the feed.

Hope this helps.

Cathrine, Please check your PMs.

Chris

----------------------------
    ezDatafeed.com - Merchants - Give your affiliates your datafeed outside the networks, without cost to the affiliate. Check out ezDatafeed.com for more information.
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread