Does a vendor receive google PR (PageRank) from our site through the qksrv links?

========
    Davester
    www.fundiscoveries.com

I think indirectly they do in some way.

ABW Ambassador
    How can they though? I thought that the qksrv link was just a redirect? The link uses the qksrv server to redirect the visitor to the corresponding merchant? Therefore the merchant has no direct link to the affiliate site.

Or am I wrong? Or is there more involved?

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

I would think qksrv would get the PR and NOT the vendor

I am a little concerned of either getting the PR. As you all likely know, PageRank the PageRank that flows through a link is calculated by taking that pages rank and dividing it by the number of eligible links on the page.

So for example... if your home page consists of a qksrv banner, and 6 internal links to various categories of your site, then each of the 7 links gets 1 seventh of your page rank (including your internal categories).

Now I'm sure we'd all (in the above example) like our internal categories to get a total of 6 sixths of our own pagerank divided throughout our site, and not 6/7th (with 1/7 of our rank leaving for free)

I know if you buy an banner ad in most places, they do a funky redirect on your link, something like www.oursite.com/scripts/redirect?www.yoursite.com?tracking-mumbo-jumbo

But the qksrv link doesn't actually look like this (the hyper link doesn't start with oursite)

I don't know that qksrv links are a source of "PR leak", but I thought I'd check here where the "Real Pros" hang out.

If so, maybe there is a robots.txt entry that could limit the robots from following qksrv links.

========
    Davester
    www.fundiscoveries.com

I think the vender does get a little PR. Google cares about the landing page, not the redirect. As long as the redirect is only a redirect (IE: doesn't load any pages), the merchant should get the PR.

ABW Ambassador
    Absolutely not.

The qksrv.net affiliate links acquire PR in a sense. "The landing page" content gets indexed, but the page is seen to be a qksrv.net address.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Google programmers know that all qksrv links are CJ affilliate links and have dealt with them accordingly. If they didn't, qksrv.net would probably be one of the most linked to sites anywhere.

Maybe someone knows what happens when Google spiders a site. Does the spider follow the qksrv link through the redirect to the merchant site or does it treat the qksrv link as a dead end?

The same would probably apply for all the other affiliate networks too.

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

ABW Ambassador
    Visitor clicks on an affiliate link - goes through the CJ Tracking server - ends up at the merchant site

How can Google determine that the visitor who ends up on a merchant site has come from an affiliate site. Surely it appears that the visitor has come from the CJ server? Therefore, how can any PR be passed onto the affiliate site? As far as Google in concerned, the affiliate site does not exist, therefore no PR is given

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Checking the backlinks of the merchant site should give some insight. They might not all show up but the higher PR affiliates would at some point, if they were contributing to PR.

PR can be passed through a 301 redirect. The following code inserted into a .htaccess file at the root directory of website will pass PR from a redirect:

redirect permanent / http://newurl.com/

in this fashion, any links to this site will be forwarded to "http://newurl.com/". I've never tried this, but have heard from other boards that it does pass link popularity/PR.

Again, I don't know how CJ does their redirect's though. And I have seen a few "qksrv" links in Google's results in the past.

ABW Ambassador
    Upon clicking a qksrv.net affiliate link, you're redirected to a particular merchant page, with a page URL something like the following example:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/?AID=7777777&PID=7777777

Then paste that particular merchant URL into Google to see if Google even has it indexed. NO.

I guarantee you that merchant page addresses that aren't in Google have no PR.

ABW Ambassador

As Traffic Manager here at JJ Kent (for years all my job was getting traffic from the engines to our thousands of content pages) I have studied Google and other SE's for some time. There is lots of evidence pointing to Google being able to resolve the links. Even though the links point to "qksrv" it simply works as a redirect and the Google definitely can figure this out. They have. I know when we look up our incoming links, out affiliates are showing up and they are only coming from CJ.

ABW Ambassador
    "As Traffic Manager here at JJ Kent"

Byron, it's best to be completely honest if you're going to be a participating merchant at ABW.

You stated you were a traffic manager for years for jjkent.com. You just aquired the domain name this year ...March 2003. Before that it was owned by a RE/MAX real estate team for a number of years. All one must do is check with archive.org

Additionally, Google shows no backlinks to you if you do a link:www.jjkent.com, or link:jjkent.com search.

Your affiliate links to your site from CJ (the few you have so far) aren't helping your PR whatsoever.

In fact, upon searching for you name "JJ Kent" in Google, your affiliate programs partner site places above you.

Welcome to ABW.

Kelly626,

1. I was referring to our other pages of content that we've had up for years (since 2000)at essortment.com and allsands.com as well as several other domains, with a total of almost 100,000 pages.

2. do a regular search on google for charms.jjkent.com. Look at the first link (as of today it is http://www.ambitweb.com/cams/cams.html). Look at the banner ad from this affiliate and hover over it. You will see the qksrv link, yet Google reports it as a charms.jjkent.com link.

3. Our PR is so low right now because the charms.jjkent.com link is new - we've had that site up for about a month.

I might not have given a full explanation in my original post, but everything I said is on the up and up.

BTW, I'm David, not Byron. Byron is the CEO of the company; I am the Traffic Manager, involved with the search engines and affiliate programs.

Duck quick that splat of self inflicted mud is sure to stain.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    You will see the qksrv link, yet Google reports it as a charms.jjkent.com link.

It's now the second listing, but the reason it's reported as a charms.jjkent.com listing is nothing to do with the qksrv link. It's because the alt. tag reads 'http://charms.jjkent.com' . It's the text it's picking up on not the link.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    I don't agree with this, but in the interest of conversation ::

Why shouldn't PR be passed through CJ links?

After all, we *are* linking to the landing page.

quote:
    ... the reason it's reported as a charms.jjkent.com listing is nothing to do with the qksrv link. It's because the alt. tag reads 'http://charms.jjkent.com' . It's the text it's picking up on not the link.

LOL poor David is going to be sorry he spoke up.

I wouldn't have agreed with this before reading this thread but there does appear to be some merit to qksrv passing on PR. Take a look at this url and note the last result on the page:

http://www.google.com/search?q=link:...&start=80&sa=N

David is still not sorry he spoke up

That was a poor example and I apologize, but take a look at this:

1. do a search on google for myitaliancharm.com (our old URL)
    2. Follow the "contain the link" link.
    3. Go to page 2, 3rd from the bottom (Jewelry Shopping by Microwho.com.)
    4. Under "Italian Charm Bracelet" you'll see the qksrv link. View source and look for "myitaliancharm".

There is no "myitaliancharm", which is precisely what I was getting at.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread