I see two new shoe merchants at CJ today (looks like the same company). Both sites have their 1-800 number plastered TWICE on every page of their site.

CJ should really warn these companies that we are going to think twice about signing up with them when they use their 1-800 number so prominantly on thier pages. But, I expect CJ is just interested in getting them to sign up, get their commission and let the merchant beware later.

Just griping, I guess. Some things will never change no matter how much we gripe about them.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

[This message was edited by 7-days on September 04, 2003 at 05:15 PM.]

As a merchant the need for the 800 number is a must. Ive found that it is a big help when a customer needs to have a question answered in regards to navigation, shipping time, etc.

As an affiliate, I belive that it needs to be tied in with the affiliate id, a lot of companies are begining to do this, and especially since this question was posted on another board. The agreement, and some disagree, that the number can be placed, but not on banners period, on the web site ok, but on a contact page, or very discreet, not 72 point bold faced type, or its ok if it is tied with the affilaite id number such as IBM, which lists the 800 number right above the "offer code" which is the affiliate id.

If I see it on the banner, they get dropped quick end of story. If it is on the web site, that is ok, if discreet whether or not it is tied with an affiliate id, some say they can afford the technology, or its just not an option. But if it follows the sale, or interupts the sale process, ie customers are plugging along with all their information and this number is there distracting the affiliate sale, then its a scam period.

Just some thoughts, not necessarily my own, but what Ive read on various boards.

wow I can post again....

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    7-Days points out one valid reason new network merchants need to be honestly evaluated here at ABW. Pointing out such blatent diversion/leakage tactics like Huge 800# messages on the site and within the shopping cart checkout process are valid red flags for a non-converting merchant. Networks promise to recruit fresh meat and active affiliates for those entry and monthly fees.

Hard to swallow the revenue spin for affiliates when all the initial and followup planning, undertaken by a merchant, is spent on devising ways to NOT have to pay a full commission while wringing the referral traffic for every dime they can get when taking the affiliate out of the loop.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I think the two new shoe merchants at CJ should be contacted about this. Nothing promotes change like 30 or 40 E-mails from Publishers within the first week after joining, stating that they aren't going to join the program due to the 800 numbers.

If that doesn't provide them with enough motiviation to make a change, you probably don't want to waste your time on them anyway...

Andy

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    This seems to be a topic that comes up here every 6 weeks or so.

As far as CJ letting merchants know these kinds of thing. I don't see that happening. I don't see CJ providing a checklist of the Do's and Don'ts of attracting affiliates. Especially in areas like 800 #'s which could viewed as impacting on areas that effect the merchant's overall business plan.

At least the 2 incidents of the 800 # of these merchants (agree it's the same merchant with 2 sites) is less prominent than I've seen with some merchants. On one of the site's it's up in the header and is kind of hidden in the graphics.

I'm more concerned by the eye catching DMA logo on every page. As a shopper that would make me run from the merchant personally. I'd be thinking along the lines of how private my info was really going to be and how much email and catalogs I would get bombarded with once I bought from them. That's just me though. Maybe most shoppers don't know what the DMA is.

We've had a few merchants here at ABW that have either integrated a tracking system with phone orders or removed/modified their 800 #'s after coming to ABW and learning how affiliates feel about this. If this is a new merchant to affiliate marketing, it may honestly never occurred to them the impact the number may have on their affiliate program.

Maybe an invite to ABW would be a start. What kind of response (or lack of) may also give an indication of how responsive they are to questions and how serious they are about their affiliate program in general. That's always a question in my mind with new merchants. Do they even have a dedicated AM, how much do they understand about AM, how committed to their program are they, etc.

Oh what the heck. Off the give them an invite to come here.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

quote:
    Maybe an invite to ABW would be a start. What kind of response (or lack of) may also give an indication of how responsive they are to questions and how serious they are about their affiliate program in general. That's always a question in my mind with new merchants. Do they even have a dedicated AM, how much do they understand about AM, how committed to their program are they, etc.

I knew it was useless to suggest CJ warn merchants (why scare them away before they sign the CJ contract?), but had to gripe about it again anyway.

Good idea to contact them, BLFH. I think I will send them an email as you suggest.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread