Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Okay,

I reside outside the US of A.

I have a US bank account, I have a US-based site that according to the logs and demographics of my users is predominantly US.

I apply to some merchants who tell me "You're not US-based". So I get a US postal address to forward mail.

Then CJ tells me.... "oh you can't change your country on your address - that must be the country of residence"

It seems to me that this causes instant rejections from some merchant programs who validate against the affiliates country.

Can somebody enlighten me here? Am I missing something? I've lodged the correct tax forms... Nearly all affiliate networks don't really mind - provided you send the traffic etc... except CJ.

Whats up CJ? I'm getting sick of the painful 72 hour support..... it took 6 days to get two email replies from CJ.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi from Wellington

I find that if you are rejected and you re-approach the merchant (via email) and politely give them a soft pitch about your US demographics, locale and your desire to sell their products, it shows them commitment, resolve and usually results in you being allowed into the program Good luck with that Jimster.

Parasiteware - Any software, process or method that aims to make money by avoiding any involvement in the sales process apart from hijacking transactions that have been created by the hard work of others.

I try to be philosophical about the whole set-up. Yes, it's a royal PITA to have to re-apply to every affiliate program manager who thinks that the internet is available only in the USA or that a site run by a non-resident must have non-USA visitors.

OTOH, I am counting my blessings that us foreign entities are even allowed to be part of what is clearly a US-based network in the first place, and that the like of CJ do not see us any different (so they say anyway). No such luck with AffiliateFuel though.

VAN.

quote:

I find that if you are rejected and you re-approach the merchant (via email) and politely give them a soft pitch about your US demographics, locale and your desire to sell their products, it shows them commitment, resolve and usually results in you being allowed into the program

he is totally right about it... When i rejected by a merchant i was sending a mail... But right now i dont need to send mail anymore.. Because my statistics meets almost all requirements which requested by merchant... I only send mail if i rejected auto...

its the negative side of to be an international affiliates...

UtOpiA StiLL uNBorN

ABW Ambassador
    It is not discrimination. It is a policy that is up the individual retailer. They can accept or reject whomever they choose.

What everybody else said.

I have had the same problem with the quick-reject from UK-Based merchants.

It's not discrimination; most of them simply assume that a non-"our-country"-affiliate is going to send them foreign traffic that will eat their bandwidth and generate inquiries that increase their customer service payroll.

Just email them to let them know that you are targetting traffic from their country. In most cases they will flick the switch for you.

ABW Ambassador
    i have tried to email them like Compusa but likely they dont care or even dont read my email

Smart Work and ... Sell Sell Sell

quote:
    It is not discrimination. It is a policy that is up the individual retailer. They can accept or reject whomever they choose.

You're right, it's not discrimination, it's short sightedness.

The above post may contain traces of nuts.

Thanks for the insight. I'm feeling pretty frustrated with my dealing with CJ I guess. I've had one AM from another network actually telephone me a few times (on my mobile phone - on the other side of the world)... to discuss getting leads for a couple of their programs.

Its that sort of treatment that breeds a mutual respect. After all this is a partnership is it not?

I understand that there are plenty of 'mickey-mouse' affiliates out there who are either in for a quick-buck or flat out fraudulant. I would guess that the majority of these are from non-USA countries.

I find CJ to be very impersonal, and uninterested in developing any kind of relationship with affiliates. Just too big a network I guess?

Okay thats my ramble. I shall keep persevering with the programs in question...

Oh yeah, and hi to all other NZers out there.

I have this happen to me sometimes with US merchants, and to be honest there's usually enough competition around to allow me to choose someone else, and I don't bother reapplying.. it's the merchant's loss.

But yes, sometimes merchants don't understand where your traffic is coming from.

There's a weakness in the CJ system anyway, in that when you apply to a merchant, you can't specify *which* sites (and optionally demographics) you are applying with. When you've got a few dozen sites listed, all with very different content, it must be awfully confusing. Befree does this better, I can apply for just ONE site to publish a merchant's links and simply take irrelevant sites out of the equation...

..so in other words, if you apply with a single website that is clearly US-orietentated, then wouldn't life be simpler? Shame CJ doesn't do that

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    I think you can thank the fraudsters that operate outside the reach of US laws and cannot be prosecuted. You can probably thank some tax evaders too.

If you were a US merchant, would you want to take a chance in having your profits consumed by fraud or have the US Internal Revenue Service auditors rummaging through your accounts?

I wouldn't take it personal, Jimster. I would just accept that you may have to work a little harder to convince certain merchants that you'd be an asset to their program.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    There's a weakness in the CJ system anyway, in that when you apply to a merchant, you can't specify *which* sites ~ Dynamoo
    Hear Hear.

I get rejections when I have set up a site for a specific arena even though I have spent a lot of time with it's CJ write up - although I have never seen the interface the merchant sees when responding to an application - I imagine the merchant is basing his decision on my main sites information and doesn't get to see information pertaining to the site that is inline with his /her product.

Parasiteware - Any software, process or method that aims to make money by avoiding any involvement in the sales process apart from hijacking transactions that have been created by the hard work of others.

ABW Ambassador
    On another note, thankfully merchants are this ignorant, or they might not need any of us.

If I retire to Belize, it'll be interesting to see who rejects me to their loss.

Actually, descrimination should apply within the U.S. as well. Why not reject affiliates from poor crime ridden urban areas of the country, and desire affiliates from Beverly Hills, CA, Overland Park, Kansas, etc. ???

Affiliates from New Zealand and many other countries can atleast sign up with CJ. For reasons best known to CJ, they won't take sign ups from India. India doesn't figure in their publisher form at all. CJ will let you sign up if you're a resident of even Andorra, Zaire, Vanuatu, Somalia, Mali and dozens of other little known countries! But no India.

Nigeria is notorious for scamsters and we all get mails offering us millions of dollars from them every week. CJ will take sign ups from Nigeria happily but not from India!

Pakistan is on the list but India isn't!

I wrote to CJ about this and they cited 'Excessive fraud' as a reason. I had a site on which I wanted to promote the affiliate program of a big brand, probably the biggest Internet brand ever. The affiliate manager of this program took a personal interest and requested CJ but they didn't budge. He spent weeks coordinating with them and me but nope!

I find it strange. What sort of fraud can anyone possibly commit, even if he is Satan incarnate? CJ doesn't have any pay per click programs anyway. Affiliates get paid for leads and sales. Why should it make such a huge difference where the webmaster resides if he's targeting the US market and getting a lot of traffic, generating leads and sales?

I sent Todd a private message on this board and it got atleast 8 views from him but I didn't receive any reply.

ABW Ambassador
    India being an exception might be summed up to such pieces as the following:

"All over the world, stringent monetary penalties are seen as the best deterrent to corporate fraud. In India there are almost no monetary costs attached to any corporate crime."

"Whether it is diversion of funds, mismanagement or fraud, Indian courts have almost never awarded significant exemplary damages. In fact, the combination of a slow and expensive judicial trial without any hope of exemplary damages being awarded at the end of successful litigation is itself a deterrent to investor activism."

Kelly626, would you be kind enough to elaborate on the legal system in Nigeria, Pakistan, Andorra, Zaire, Vanuatu, Somalia and Mali
    Since you choose to use the term 'All over the world' I assume your knowledge of world economy is considerable.

No one here wants to buy a shareholding in CJ. Just some affiliate sign ups.

India is good enough for Coke, Pepsi, IBM, Oracle, Microsoft, General motors, Mercedes benz, McDonalds, Disney and all the other Fortune 500 companies to open offices here.
    We have over $80 billion in foreign exchange reserves.

Many countries on the acceptable list have a GDP that is less than the net worth of many first generation entrepreneurs in my city.

I offer a software product for download and I have had roughly half a dozen sales from India. After downloading the product ALL of the buyers have asked for a refund, either directly or by contacting the credit card processor, they said if they are not refunded they would contact their bank and request a charge back. I haven't had this problem with any other country. Enough said.

There is a difference between selling to international customers and having international affiliates. International affiliates serious about their business can be from anywhere in the world and they are more often than not, targeting the US market.

There's no reason to lose out by excluding affiliate sign ups from certain countries. You can always choose not to sell your product to certain countries if you see a pattern of fraud.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Due to the inability to insure packages or confirm credit card addresses to following destinations, we no longer ship to countries listed below:

Afghanistan
    Albania
    Angola
    Antigua & Barbuda
    Ascension
    Azerbaijan
    Bahrain
    Belgrade
    Bolivia
    Bosnia
    Bulgaria
    Cambodia
    Cape Verde
    Cayman Islands
    Chile
    Colombia
    Congo
    Costa Rica
    Croatia
    Cuba
    Czech Republic
    Dominica
    Dominican Republic
    Ecuador
    El Salvador
    Equatorial Guinea
    Ertirea
    Estonia
    Ethiopia
    Falkland Islands
    Guatemala
    Guinea-Bissau
    Guyana
    Haiti
    Herzegovina
    Honduras
    Indonesia
    Iran
    Iraq
    Jamaica
    Jordan
    Kazakhstan
    Kiribati
    Korea, North
    Kyrgystan
    Laos
    Libya
    Macedonian
    Malawi
    Malaysia
    Maldives
    Malta
    Moldavia
    Mozambique
    Nepal
    Nigeria
    Pakistan
    Panama
    Philippines
    Pitcairn Island
    Romania
    Rwanda
    Saudi Arabia
    Serbia
    Seychelles
    Sierra Leone
    Singapore
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    Solomon Islands
    Sri Lanka
    Sudan
    Tajikistan
    Tristan da Cunha
    Turkmenistan
    Turks & Caicos Islands
    Uganda
    Uruguay
    Uzbekistan
    Vanuatu
    Venezuela
    Vietnam
    Yemen
    Yugoslavia

I don't see India on the list. Often the networks know they cannot guarantee even delivering a check via USPS to the above countries. Certainly this might pose a problem and huge extra expense and bad PR if checks get stolen or cashed my the mail thieves.

I'm sure the bad taste at CJ over India affiliates came from the days when they had CPC programs.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Mike & Charlie, ironically almost all these countries are on the acceptable list of CJ for affiliate sign ups even if merchants won't ship to most of them. I do think this India phobia may have originated in the days of CPC programs but the exclusion should have been done away with, ideally, at the time when CPC programs were phased out, on CJ.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Kelly626, would you be kind enough to elaborate on the legal system in Nigeria, Pakistan, Andorra, Zaire, Vanuatu, Somalia and Mali

Since you choose to use the term 'All over the world' I assume your knowledge of world economy is considerable.

Not my exact words ...a quote.

I am in no way saying that Nigeria, Pakistan, etc. isn't fraud ridden. In Nigeria's case, fraud is its best commodity.

An obvious reason companies such as CJ would do business with Nigeria, is because Nigeria is a top producer of U.S. e-mail addresses suitable for spam.

Some rather large entities pay Nigerian fraudsters to send out their spam messages.

If Indian webmasters want to be desirable fraudsters, they should learn the types of fraud that benefit those other than themselves.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, I get the Nigerian e-mails all the time. Here is one of today's beauties:

"good day.
    this is mrs marine a citizen of holland but presently in nigeria for inspection on the enquiry department of the brewis store company in nigeria. in the same annex with the coca cola of nigeria which deals with(clothings equipment and accessories ) so i will like to make some order inyour store pls quote me the total cost to nigeria via ups so i can continue wiyh my offer pls reply thia mail. i will be offreing you 100 dollars for any help you render to me pls i will very much appreciate it if you will reply this mail.i will do my payment by sending the info on my credit card.this is the company's contact addressin nigeria .
    33 okesanya street,
    papa ajao mushin,
    lagos(23401),
    nigeria.
    MRS MARINE WERD
    GENERAL MANAGER.
    phone number(234014522290)."

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe some countries can't provide convincing credentials.

Places like Nigeria have no trouble with producing such:

http://www.nigerianscams.org/pictures.htm

quote:
    Originally posted by futurescopes:
    There's no reason to lose out by excluding affiliate sign ups from certain countries. You can always choose not to sell your product to certain countries if you see a pattern of fraud.

Which is exactly what CJ chose, they saw a pattern of affiliate fraud originating from India and decided to exclude said country.

ABW Ambassador
    The last I heard, you can be from any other the following countries and be accepted into the CJ program:

USA Albania Algeria American Samoa Andorra Anguilla Antigua & Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Ashmore and Cartier Islands Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Baker Island Bangladesh Barbados Bassas da India Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegowina Botswana Bouvet Island Brazil British Indian Ocean Territory British Virgin Islands Brunei Darussalam Burkina Faso Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cape Verde Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chad Chile Christmas Island Cocos (Keeling) Islands Colombia Comoros Congo Congo, Democratic Republic of t Cook Islands Coral Sea Islands Territory Costa Rica Croatia Croatia (Eastern) Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic East Timor Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Ethiopia Europa Island Faeroe Islands Falkland Islands (Malvinas) Fiji Finland France French Guiana French Polynesia French Southern Territories Gabon Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Glorioso Islands Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guernsey Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana Haiti Heard & McDonald Islands Honduras Hong Kong Iceland Ireland Isle of Man Israel Italy Jamaica Japan Jersey Johnston Atoll Jordan Juan de Nova Island Kazakhstan Kenya Kiribati Korea, Republic of Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Lao Peoples Democratic Republic Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macau Macedonia Madagascar Malawi Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia, Federated States of Midway Islands Moldova, Republic of Monaco Mongolia Monserrat Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nauru Navassa Island Nepal Netherlands Netherlands Antilles New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Island Northern Mariana Islands Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Panama Papua New Guinea Paracel Islands Paraguay Peru Philippines Pitcairn Islands Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Rwanda Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Samoa San Marino Sao Tome & Principe Saudi Arabia Senegal Seychelles Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa South Sandwich Islands Spain Spratly Islands Sri Lanka St. Helena St. Kitts and Nevis St. Pierre & Miquelon Suriname Svalbard/Jan Mayen Islands Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Syrian Arab Republic Taiwan Tajikistan Tanzania Thailand Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad And Tobago Tunisia Turkmenistan Turks & Caicos Islands Tuvalu Uganda United Arab Emirates United Kingdom Uruguay US Minor Outlying Islands US Virgin Islands Uzbekistan Vanuatu Vatican City State Venezuela Vietnam Wallis & Futuna Islands Western Sahara Yemen, Republic Of Zaire Zambia Zimbabwe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast