ABW Ambassador
    Got a laptop for our trip to Vegas and when I first logged in, the main screen that appeared was a promotion for UPromise where users would get cash back on their purchases and AOL was offering to double the amount of cash back on certain purchases.

I attached the picture of the screen shot which shows the promotion.

I haven't heard any news on UPromise for a while but I would suspect a large portion of new AOL users are signing up with them.

ABW Ambassador
    How is this parasitic. From the definiion above does it change, intercept or redirect an affiliate link? Don't people knowingly download this and agree to the terms? Does it pop advertising over our sites like WhenU, Gator, 180Solutions? I think they did when there were glitches, but i haven't heard of any glitches lately so would they still be considered parasitic and why?

ABW Ambassador
    LOL. Did I even mention parasitic in the post above? I will take your bait though and say with that the RemindU application will interfere your cookies and your ability to get credit for sales from content and marketing that you provided in good faith in order to have a chance to get a commission from your work. Don't tell me you're going to disagree or I'll have to find the many posts where you've acknowledged they will interfere with your sales.

Regarding whats compliant, whats parasitic and even what was that COC thingy? You and most others on this board know my poisition very well. I'll not venture again into my views of the COC, whats does "in compliance" really mean and why networks continue to line their pockets with cash from this type of software while the collateral damage done from them only escalates.

Since I omitted all of this "bait response" from my initial post you'd probably be right if you assumed this was a general heads up (that you can take any way you like).

ABW Ambassador
    As long as they don't pop advertising over my site, or off my initial traffic to the merchant, i don't have a problem with it.

I don't consider this type of thing to be in the same category as the Gators, 180solutions, WhenU/SaveNow. You can do something about that. Some merchants have, don't think any affiliates have. You can't do anything if people knowingly downloads a shopping application on their computer. If that application starts popping of our sites or off our traffic, then you have a case.

Anyone else notice that uPromise is also now automatically redirecting affiliate links. They used to have a reminder screen. That wnet away quickly. They may be a blue chip name, but their practices are the same as all of the others!

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread