I usually do not read the entire listing of the so-called "OBJECTS" that the well-known program Ad-Aware of Lavasoft finds on my machine. I just see the categorizing "Data Miner" and delete the whole thing. To my amazement, when I loooked a little further to the right part of the listing tonight, I discovered that Ad-Aware had included as data miners the cookies of BeFree, CJ, LinkSynergy, Doublick, valueclick, FastClick, and many others.
    Now a program like this should know a little better, shouldn't it?
    I can only conclude from the above that there are many hard working people who try TO PROTECT(!) the consumer and backstab each and every one of us.

huhu

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Spybot search and destroy does much the same thing

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    The bad news for us is it is doing the right thing. You see the cookies as harmless things that allow you to get your commissions. I see that too. But what those cookies do is describe where the user has been. Obviously, if they are just used by those intended, no one would mind (well very few people). But, imagine a user goes to 'not so refutable site'. They may go by accident or on purpose, but that doesn't matter. Anyway, this site can read all his cookies and know exactly where he has been, what he has bought, when was the last time you was at the site, did you return, all sorts of information stored on those cookies. That's why they are deleted. Sucks for us, but its ad-aware job to do this type of stuff.

Mike

Ojmoo,

Sjouldn't then Ad-Aware delete just about every cookie on the user's computer?

huhu

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    But, imagine a user goes to 'not so refutable site'. They may go by accident or on purpose, but that doesn't matter. Anyway, this site can read all his cookies and know exactly where he has been, what he has bought, when was the last time you was at the site, did you return, all sorts of information stored on those cookies. That's why they are deleted. Sucks for us, but its ad-aware job to do this type of stuff.

Ummm... no. But thanks for playing the scare game. With supposed affiliates spreading such rubbish, no wonder the regular joe is terrified.

Chet

How could a disreputable site read another sites cookies? Many sites, including CJ, encrypt their cookies. Unless the disreputable site has the keys to unencrypt the information, they wouldn't gain anything except a bunch of gibberish.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Andy:
    How could a disreputable site read another sites cookies? Many sites, including CJ, encrypt their cookies. Unless the disreputable site has the keys to unencrypt the information, they wouldn't gain anything except a bunch of gibberish.

Andy
    I was gonna ask the same thing.

Consistency is the key to a winning season.

ABW Ambassador
    If your affiliate cookie gets trashed by zappers it's not likely to affect your initial sale, because it's not likely a surfer will leave a purchasing session just to run a cookie zapper.

But you will get cheated out of any later visits.

The solution is for merchants to increase the up front initial visit commission to compensate for future orders that are zapped.

I don't know about others but the life of a cookie on my computer is only a few days. That's becuase I have so many abusive popup ad cookies loaded on my machine, and I don't even know where they come from, that I'n forced to erase all cookies every few days.

I don't think we'll ever be able to save our affiliate cookies successfully for long, and the recent escalation in viruses, cookie parasites, pop-up trojans and cookie zappers are putting the whole return-visitor commission concept into the grave. So we should think about asking merchants for a commission bump if they want us to stay in business and keep sending them new customers, and ask them to shut off the return visitor cookie after the visitor leaves for a few hours.

If someone did a study they might find the affiliate code return cookies are doing us more harm than good by channeling our merchant's ad budgets into the coffers of parasites.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread