Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Question? How many CJ merchants do you know that pay commissions on phone sales?

How do they track? Are they adding a phone extension or some kind of code that references the PID in order to credit the affiliate for the sale?

Linda Buquet :: Affiliate Management Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit ABW Forum
    EveryTicket Sports/Concert Tickets :: Irv's Luggage Warehouse :: Executive Essentials Office & Gifts:
    DentalPlans :: HealthPlans :: Avid Hosting :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds Music :: Roadloans :: MORE!

Anybody?

5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit ABW Forum
    EveryTicket Sports/Concert Tickets :: Irv's Luggage Warehouse :: Executive Essentials Office & Gifts:
    DentalPlans :: HealthPlans :: Avid Hosting :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds Music :: Roadloans :: MORE!

Linda,

Try doing a search for more on this. I know a few merchants here have said they do track sales over the phone, but I don't have a relationship with them, so I'm not sure who they were.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    All I know is I called one of my merchant's 800 'help' numbers and told them I had a question about an online order I was trying to place. The individual gave me a generic response, then tried very hard to get me to place my order directly with him. At no time did he ask me for any affiliate tracking info.

I'm sure this individual was just trying to do his job and assure the order was placed and he probably had no idea an affiliate's commission was at stake, so I have no complaint with him.

The weakness in the system is that phone orders from affiliate referrals are not tracked. I don't know what the answer is, other than for good merchants to build a little extra into their commission structure to cover affiliate commissions aborted by their 800 services.

Linda -

Admittedly, tracking calls via 800# is difficult when trying to credit affiliates with the sale. I saw one company do it extremely well - someone here might remember who it was, but the company had their 800# prominently on each page in the corner, but underneath, it had copy to the effect of "mention code XXXXXXX when calling" that populated with the affiliate code when the customer was clicking through from an affiliate site. It was a really great way to increase customer service as well as give affiliates credit.

Does anyone remember who it was? I know I saw it here on ABW, probably last march or april.

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.manager
    eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com
    v: 610.323.2200x2206
    aim: patricemilligan
    ::visit.our.private.forum.at.abw::

It was Tiger Direct that did that.

Chris

----------------------------
    ezDatafeed.com - Merchants - Give your affiliates your datafeed outside the networks, without cost to the affiliate. Check out ezDatafeed.com for more information.
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

BackCountryStore.com puts a reference number below their 1-800 number when the site is accessed from an affiliate site. Check it out in the top right corner:

http://www.backcountrystore.com/

The reference # corresponds to the PID of the CJ affiliate and it must be given as part of the sales transaction.

[Edited out CJ link - Commissioned links are not allowed to be posted on ABW]

[This message was edited by Akiva on September 15, 2003 at 02:07 PM.]

UrbanScooters.com is very good about that. About half the scooter sales that are credited to me are marked "phone sale" - which is outstanding for a big-ticket item like a scooter.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Urban Scooters from SAS also credits phone sales
    Apparently operators must ask if there is a referral number as part of their conversation. This is how they get credited. Throw in a buck or two as a spiff for them for each number they get until asking for this number from all callers without any prompting.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

OK, thanks guys that's what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing the BackCountry Stor link. The process needs to be automated to ensure affiliates get credit. If you just rely on a phone rep to ask where the customer found out about the site, cookie issues come into play. The customer may have clicked an aff link, then surfed around, then come to the site through Yahoo. When the CS rep asks - where did you see our site - they will say Yahoo and the aff will lose commish.

I am announcing tomorrow that we have competed programming a variable header for one of my merchants to track and credit phone sales for the full length of the CJ cookie, pretty slick. There is a lot that went into this. It's been a BIG project and taken alot of resources to pull it off, but I'm very excited since it will help affiliates earn a lot more commission. I was just trying to get a feel for how many other CJ merchants had gone to this expense and trouble so I could mention how unique it is in my official announcement tomorrow.

It' ready to go, I just have to train phone staff and train someone to manually enter all the orders in CJ and then we are set to go.

For what it's worth, we do that in our program. Toll Free number on every page and a reference number just below that. This is only step one. Step two is to ensure that live operators asks for the tracking number. From experience, this has proven to be an effective way for us to track toll free sales and credit appropraite affiliates.

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com
    604-596-9766

Personal Sites: ADS-Links.com | HealthCastle.com

Donna, almost half your sales are phone orders?
    Great, that proves a concept that I am banking on. The merchant I am working with on 800 tracking, I don't think gets a TON of phone orders, but the many of the orders that do come through by phone tend to be larger orders, I think, since people may have questions on big purchases or want to talk to a live person. I am hoping this helps make people a lot more commission.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Very fine pro-active move Linda and it will bear out recruiting active affiliates to merchnats that record and credit referral phone sales.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Excellent move Linda!

IRS

Don’t ask why the ball doesn’t come.

FYI, in case anyone missed the thread zZounds is already tracking and paying on phone sales. So this next merchant will be #2 and then as soon as they get under control and sales start to increase, I have merchant #3 lined up and ready to go!

It's not as easy as just saying, yes - let's pay for phone sales. There has to be a cost justification, there are programming and testing costs - training, tracking and monitoring phone staff, customizing order entry software to add a PID field and and a report to pull these orders and then labor cost to enter all the manual orders in CJ.

There also has to be an increase in sales to justify all this expense and effort. I need to be able to convince merchant #3 by saying how much M #2 sales increased due to the increased support and efforts of affiliate partners who appreciate the move and realize the extra sales they can make.

quote:
    Originally posted by Catalyst:
    Donna, almost half your sales are phone orders?
    Yes. But if you exclude the small orders, about 2/3 of my orders are phone orders. Almost all the small ones are online.

Could be as simple as click here for our 800 number

popup comes up with number and trouble ticket which just happens to match the affiliates ID.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread