I have been reading a lot of negative things about certain stores. L.L.Bean, LandsEnd and Dell being 3 of them.

Is there anyone here who has a list of stores that are worth doing businesss with?

Thank you for your replies.

Perry

ClickMagazine.NET

Look for merchants who carry product that YOU are interested in selling, and that YOU think that YOU can sell.

At least then you'll be started on the right foot in regard to what you are trying to sell. Strengths and pitfalls will reveal themselves over the course of time.

ABW Ambassador
    oh yeah... I'll let everyone know who I think the best stores are so they can compete with me on their products.

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    Why do some affiliate networks continue to enable parasitic technology providers to STEAL my hard earned revenue?

ABW Ambassador
    What's wrong with Lands End?

Big Chuck,

Thanks for the reply, but it didn't quite make sense. You have your visitors, we have ours. At any particular time, each site has it's own readers. This has nothing to do with reveaing "secrets." This has nothing to do with, say, two comparitive sites, trying to find out the other's ideas for brining in visitors.

For example: If your visitor logs off from your site without clicking on any of your ads, the chances are pretty good that he won't click on those same ads at another site.

Thank you for replying anyway.

Jimbo,

I don't know if this is true, but I have been reading one too many posts on LandsEnd not paying out because buyers would go back to their site a couple of weeks, or whenever, after they first went in.

If we sent our reader to them, but that reader didn't buy until later, we should still get paid for it. Again, I don't know if this is true.

ClickMagazine.NET

Perry,
    quote:
    For example: If your visitor logs off from your site without clicking on any of your ads, the chances are pretty good that he won't click on those same ads at another site.

You’ll get the sense if you think in the opposite way.

IRS

Don’t ask why the ball doesn’t come.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Is there anyone here who has a list of stores that are worth doing businesss with?

Wasn't this a set up for Linda, Akiva, Marifer, etc. to push their programs.

What happened?

"You’ll get the sense if you think in the opposite way."

Ummmm....okay.

ClickMagazine.NET

No super affiliate here is going to freely give you thier top 3 selling products/categories/stores (Affiliate managers do of course - but not the affiliates). I don't mind complaining here about my poorly selling products, but I gaurd my niche sites and top products with my life! They are how I make my living - and if I gave that info out freely there would be 100 lurkers reading these boards with rival sites online within the day. Imagine if I posted that I make $1000 a day promoting "handmade-blue-widgets.com", and that I was #1 on google for the term with no competition. I'd have to be nuts!

Frequent these boards enough and you will glean the info you need very quickly - but it will still take plenty of homework on your part and lots of time. Pick a store/product that you have an interest in (like NoWires suggested) because that will keep you from abandoning your site after the first few weeks of little or no sales.

Most of the best stores to deal with already have too many affiliates to battle with anyway - so I would look for a little known niche. Try using wordtracker.com for some ideas.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Your safe to promote and showcase any merchant who has a forum here at ABW. Those that have a 100% parasite free policy and a AM wearing a sales dept. hat do the best. If you can't put forth the daily update effort to "incent" the traffic going to the merchant list at eBates ..those merchants will not convert for normal affiliates. Send traffic to their sites and your shopper will get bombarded by checkout lane popup thieves.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I don't know if this is true, but I have been reading one too many posts on LandsEnd not paying out because buyers would go back to their site a couple of weeks, or whenever, after they first went in.

You can find out the cookie duration of merchants a lot easier by just going to LinkShare or CJ websites.

That is why I suggested you do a little research into who has suitable cookies and commissions, and then come back and ask about specific merchants that meet those two criteria.

Ok, thanks all for your replies. I appreciate it.

ClickMagazine.NET

ABW Ambassador
    yeah, what ecomcity city. Didn't mean to come off as rude, or anything, but we have to protect our businesses. I have revealed my top performing merchants, before, and consequently found myself getting bumped in search results later on. I even found some copy cats, too! For example, I have a magazine site. I might just take a peak at your ClickMagazine.NET and see what you are doing differently than me. If I like what I see, I might borrow the idea, or strategy that I think will help my site. Where this could hurt you is you find yourself 500 pages deep for search terms, and keywords, instead of remaining on the 1st page of results. Be careful. oops... you don't sell magazines. Good site, though. I just checked your site out. Good job!

One way that helps, but is not always a sure hit, though, is any affiliate network, such as CJ, that offers epc metrics. AffiliateFuel.com does as well. You can study that stuff, too.

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    Why do some affiliate networks continue to enable parasitic technology providers to STEAL my hard earned revenue?

Okay, between my partner's and your explanation, Chuck, NOW, I understand what you mean. :-)

Thanks for the explanation.

ClickMagazine.NET

quote:
    No super affiliate here is going to freely give you their top 3 selling products/categories/stores.

So THAT'S why people aren't constantly bragging about us... it's all beginning to make sense now.

Paul

Rugman.com - Merchant Through CJ

Direct Link

quote:
    Originally posted by kelly626:
    quote:

Wasn't this a set up for Linda, Akiva, Marifer, etc. to push their programs.

What happened?

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Perry and I are new to this affiliate stuff. We're looking for quality merchants to feature and we're far more concerned with promoting honest merchants.

I'd rather put up 10 average performing merchants that we know are honest than one shady merchant that makes us a lot of money.

Thanks everyone!

SJohnson@NO_Spam_ClickMagazine.Net
    www.ClickMagazine.Net

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Perry and SJohnson,

Welcome to ABW and the world of affiliate marketing. You are in the right place to learn!

quote:
    I'd rather put up 10 average performing merchants that we know are honest than one shady merchant that makes us a lot of money.

You may be thinking a little bit backwards with your comment. Honest merchants will typically make you more money! The shady ones will not make you alot of money because sometimes the they will divert your commissions, reverse sales dishonestly or partner with parasites who can overwite your affiliate links. So like Mike said, finding honest merchants will be the key to your earnings.

Took a quick look at your site and have a suggestion, that may help you earn more.
    The pages I checked all had the same bank of merchant ads on the right. I think you would have much better conversions with more targeted ads. On your entertainment pages, feature products that type of customer would be interested in, auto page - auto related ads, etc.

Since people are coming to your site to read or be entertained - they may not click the link to your mall to shop. But if you feature relevant ads that appeal to the type of reader in each section, you could really boost your conversion rates.

Hope this helps,

Linda Buquet :: Affiliate Management Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit ABW Forum
    EveryTicket Sports/Concert Tickets :: Irv's Luggage Warehouse :: Executive Essentials Office & Gifts:
    DentalPlans :: HealthPlans :: Avid Hosting :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds Music :: Roadloans :: MORE!

Ehem...I would say flooring is a bit of a niche Perry, if that's what you're looking for...

Bryan Simonson
    bryan@smoothcorp.com
    SmoothCorp Affiliates
    iFLOOR.com/3%/sale/avg.sale=$800
    RugArea.com/12-14%/avg.sale=$400
    CornerHardware.com/6%/avg.sale=$80

[This message was edited by Bryan - SmoothCorp on September 17, 2003 at 03:56 PM.]

"flooring"

Cute.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread