Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I wanted to point out how CJ and eBay track and pay for active registered users. If you send a visitor over to eBay and they register to become a member, you will earn a bounty ($5 - $12) if they place at least one bid within 30 days of registering.

Now here's the cool part. CJ is integrated with eBay such that if this newly registered user logs into their account from any computer and places the bid (within 30 days), it triggers the active registration bounty. In other words, they do not need to rely on a cookie on the original browser that generated the registration to capture the bid and trigger the commission.

I wasn't sure if everyone understood this, so I thought I would try to explain it.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Nevermind.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    That's excellent news, Todd.

Could you also arrange so that the SID on the original $0 registration transaction is mirrored on the "Active Registration" transaction?

That would be real cool.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - -
    In other words, they do not need to rely on a cookie on the original browser that generated the registration to capture the bid and trigger the commission.
    - - - - -

That's really interesting, Todd. I keep making the occasional commission from eBay, in spite of dropping almost all of their banners back earlier this year.

I don't know, maybe that was a mistake on my part, they just got me so flustered at that time, I couldn't tell if I was earning more than I was spending on them. It was too confusing.

But that is good news, it might mean a higher conversion, which is always welcome.

- - - - - - - - -
    This is your affiliate network -
    This is your affiliate network on Parasites -

Drewbert,

quote:
    Could you also arrange so that the SID on the original $0 registration transaction is mirrored on the "Active Registration" transaction?
    We are aware of this issue. I am not sure what will be done about it. I'll check though.

Elbowcreek, I'd give them another try - the program has been vastly improved. I'd hate for you to miss out on a great revenue source.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Out of frustration, I put Google AdWords on the top of all my pages that were strickly ebay custom link pages (the ones I have that brings up a window to actual auctions). My AdWords are doing better now than my ebay commissions ever did. Rarely did I ever see an active registration and the nickles add up way too slowly to make the pages worth doing as ebay auction links anymore.

$5-$12?? I've never seen more than $6. How does one get $12?

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

It's a sliding scale now. IF you can generate thousands of active registrations per month you will earn that $12 per registration.

Oh! Guess that will never happen at this rate.

Todd, although you've tried to put a positive spin on this, it tells me that eBay was NOT living up to its program rules up until this change was implemented.

The eBay program said "a user must register, and then bid". It didn't say "in the same session". It didn't say "from the same PC".

I find that the fact that there are "hidden rules" to the eBay program is borderline fraudulent. These "glitches" should be mentioned in the program rules so that we know exactly what we are going to be paid for, versus what we should be paid for.

If I referred someone to eBay from their home PC, they registered, and then they bid from their work PC, I fulfilled my part of the deal to get paid for a lead. Yet because of a technical problem, I got ZERO for this before the upgrade. How is that fair? How is that not fraud?

When I refer a Canadian to eBay, and eBay redirects them to eBay.ca, they register, and bid, and I don't get paid, how is that not fraud?

These idosyncracies should be spelled out in the program. Since they're not, then eBay is not in compliance with its program rules, and is committing fraud, regardless of whether the fraud is due to "technical challenges".

http://www.hockeydb.com

ABW Ambassador
    I don't understand. Why would CJ and eBay not have been paying for the users who registered on one PC but bid from another?

Why would they have needed a cookie? If they had registered, then eBay could have easily tracked and credited it.

ABW Ambassador
    I guess the question is - does befree track this way or not.

Chet

quote:
    I don't understand. Why would CJ and eBay not have been paying for the users who registered on one PC but bid from another?

I guess the bigger thing to look at is....Isn't this twice in the same year we have found out that Ebay has been screwing us out of money we should have been getting all along?

It's no wonder we are so paranoid sometimes about CJ and some merchants.

quote:
    Todd, although you've tried to put a positive spin on this, it tells me that eBay was NOT living up to its program rules up until this change was implemented.

The eBay program said "a user must register, and then bid". It didn't say "in the same session". It didn't say "from the same PC".

I find that the fact that there are "hidden rules" to the eBay program is borderline fraudulent. These "glitches" should be mentioned in the program rules so that we know exactly what we are going to be paid for, versus what we should be paid for.

If I referred someone to eBay from their home PC, they registered, and then they bid from their work PC, I fulfilled my part of the deal to get paid for a lead. Yet because of a technical problem, I got ZERO for this before the upgrade. How is that fair? How is that not fraud?

Hang on. What change? Maybe I'm missing some important e-mail. What's changed from the upgrade?

quote:

I was just trying to illustrate a finer point of the program. I wasn't sure that everyone understood how the program worked.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    Todd is this unique to CJ or does it work the same way on other networks?

Chet
    If you don't know/don't answer, I understand will ask on the other forum.

quote:
    Originally posted by 7-days:
    quote:

I guess the bigger thing to look at is....Isn't this twice in the same year we have found out that Ebay has been screwing us out of money we should have been getting all along?

It's no wonder we are so paranoid sometimes about CJ and some merchants.

hmmm, i mentioned this MONTHS ago....

since i switched over to ebay/befree, conversions are thru the roof! ya, i may not get paid on the 20th of every month, but when i do get paid, its WAY more than before!

quote:

IS IT? Can you please point me to where eBay is screwing us this time? I'm missing the boat on this one.

Please point me to where this is talked abou.

quote:
    since i switched over to ebay/befree, conversions are thru the roof! ya, i may not get paid on the 20th of every month, but when i do get paid, its WAY more than before!

How often do you get paid?

quote:
    Originally posted by Greg:
    quote:

How often do you get paid?

supposed to be every month with a $20 minimum

i just received 3 checks from them at once (see thread under befree)

Odd.. I'm getting less bid traffic but more registration traffic. Frankly I'm please that the reversal issue has gone away.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Todd didn't exactly say it, but he implied that eBay is now using some kind of real-time system that matches a bid to a registration without the use of cookies.

That implies that this system wasn't in place for the entire existence of the eBay program.

Since eBay is supposed to pay for users that registered, and also bid, if there was a time when this was cookie-based, then the eBay program would have been screwing us out of money, because it didn't say in the program details that the bids had to be made from the same PC that signed up the account.

Also, the eBay.ca program manager has explicitly stated that when a Canadian visitor registers via our affiliate links, that visitor is redirected to eBay.ca. That means that we don't get credit for EITHER an eBay.com or an eBay.ca registration, even if we belong to both programs.

Again, this is hidden fine print -- never mentioned in the program rules. It affects a site like mine significantly, because I have about 40% US traffic and 40% Canadian traffic.

Ralph

The .ca thing I don't know about. But, I knew about the not using cookie thing and have for months because I asked. I also tested it.

I think one of my earlier posts outlined this also.

So why isn't this termed fraud?

If the program says "we pay you $5 for a user that registers through your site and later bids", and there is no fine print that says "(unless that visitor bids from a different computer, or unless that user is not from the U.S.)", then isn't the program lying?

Ralph

Ralph,

Why don't you put up a hockey specific aution on your site by using the eBay editors kit?

Here is an example of what I am talking about on Sports Illustrated.
    Hockey Auction

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Todd --

This is exactly what I do. You can view it here:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/cards/c....php3?pid=1368

Unfortunately, 40% of my visitors are Canadian. They click on the editor kit, they register for eBay.com, then they get redirected to the eBay.ca site (since they're based in Canada), they bid, but I get paid zero for this referral.

Here are eBay.com's program rules:

$5.00 per Active Registration
    *A registration is active when the user places a bid on eBay within 30 days of their initial registration.

Now later on, it does say that the criteria for an Active Registration is "A visitor becomes a confirmed, active user of eBay.com within 30 days of registration.", but it does not say that eBay.com is diverting Canadian visitors to eBay.ca, and then not paying commission on them.

With such a highly targetted placement, I find it funny that in August, I had 11 potential leads, but only 6 panned out -- that's a non-qualified (or reversal) rate of 45%. And this month is even worse -- 7 potential leads, just 3 qualified. That's a 57% reversal rate.

Ralph

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast