Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I asked this in another thread but didn't get any replies, so I'll try again.

Does cj have any problem with using a redirect script to hide the qksrv.net in the link?

I don't think that CJ minds this. Eventually, everything amounts to a click on a CJ-link, right? So, you can call in the HTML code a CGI script that contains the CJ ad in a way that the ad code will not show in the final HTML file. Something like the eBay Editor Kit.

huhu

Hi Huhu,
    Thanks for the reply. Sure seems like it wouldn't be a problem. It just seems strange no one seems to be doing it. I guess there's been some discussion of it, maybe I'll have to go spend time and read these old threads. I'll look for the editor kit too and see if it's similar.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    umm i dunno

I mentioned CGI redirects in this thread.
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=...7116081324&p=3

Didn't really get much of an answer.

I have people on another forum doing some testing too.

Linda Buquet :: Affiliate Management Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit ABW Forum
    EveryTicket Sports/Concert Tickets :: Irv's Luggage Warehouse :: Executive Essentials Office & Gifts:
    DentalPlans :: HealthPlans :: Avid Hosting :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds Music :: Roadloans :: MORE!

ABW Ambassador
    Hello Linda and everyone

I think the affiliates that are using php, etc. will get around this issue ..although most of these affiliates (I know most of them) ...they will naturally choose the merchant through another network if they are present there anyway.

Linda, what you said about most of your affiliate applications being people that hardly even know HTML ...it's kind of absurd to lead such affiliates into learning advanced redirect methods of eluding software giants like Norton.

CJ has what? ...hundreds of thousands of publishers?

ABW Ambassador
    In case you're wondering ...I don't know most of the hundreds of thousands of CJ publishers.

The ones that incorporate php and advance methods of marketing ...I know them. My job is to know what they're doing, and why.

It's a no brainer why they prefer other networks if the merchant can be found there. They've known all along that qksrv/cj is targeted, and that it will get worse.

What about the hundreds of thousands of publishers that barely know HTML and advanced marketing techniques? This will affect them big time.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think there is any problem with using redirect links. As long as a user clicked the link, there is nothing wrong. Even if they don't click it, that is fine (CJ gives awards to redirector, don't they?).

Anyways, why ask? (don't ask don't tell)

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Kelly,

I didn't say MOST of my affiliate apps are from people who don't know HTML. The point I was trying to make way back then was that there are all kinds of affiliates in every network. Newbies, pros, supers and dupers. My point back then, was that by virtue of CJ's visibiliy they attract a large amount of newbies and SOMETIMES I get calls from people who don't even know HTML. I think the reason I even brought it up had to do with people spamming and using pops and the fact that some newies just don't know any better. CJ attracts a lot of newbies IMHO.

Most of my energy goes into working with the "pros" on this board and I will do anything I can to help them earn money with any of my programs, regardless of the network, including trying to pass on advanced linking tips or any other info that may help people increase their income.

Linda Buquet :: Affiliate Management Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit ABW Forum
    EveryTicket Sports/Concert Tickets :: Irv's Luggage Warehouse :: Executive Essentials Office & Gifts:
    DentalPlans :: HealthPlans :: Avid Hosting :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds Music :: Roadloans :: MORE!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    "CJ attracts a lot of newbies IMHO."[/i]

"Most of my energy goes into working with the "pros" on this board"

I think most everyone agrees that CJ is a haven for newbies, incent enthusiasts, spammers, dupers, and parasites ...Mike and Charlie will clue everyone in on the details.

The "pros" are already incorporating php redirects, etc. ...and/or simply prefering to work with merchants through another network. I think you find yourself preaching to the choir, as it were.

CJ is not just a haven for newbies, but also for merchants that prey on such for free advertising ...well, not completely free, since CJ gets their $500/month guaranteed minimum fees.

My advise to "newbies" that don't want to put in full-time/overtime efforts to make that elusive CJ dollar ...is to put Google Adsense up on their content sites. Google Adsense is easy ...No new/expired links to keep up with ...no deactivated/crooked merchants to take down ...no reversal day ...and it is not targeted by ad-blocking software like Norton.

Google is helping to bring Pay-Per-Click back with a more targeted advertising plan ...it's actually working. Your site can be about UFOs or Microscopic Organisms, and Google will deliver precisely targeted advertising for such related advertisers.

Just too many unending hoops to jump through for a CJ buck ...my prediction still stands that there will be an exodus of merchants from CJ after the holidays. Google's help in funding webmaster's efforts to keep their sites alive will insure less CJ "newbies" for merchants to prey on.

It's a great time to be alive.
    ---Kelly626

kelly626 seems to have some sort of animosity toward Commission Junction. I just can't help noticing your constant rants about CJ and CJ advertisers. Out of curiosity, what's the "ants in your pants"?

ABW Ambassador
    I use some merchants through CJ ...if that makes you feel any better.

Stating that you must expend full-time/overtime efforts in making a CJ dollar isn't blind bias ...just observations and experiences.

My advise was that publishers not desiring to put in many hours each day playing the CJ game ...there's some good alternatives.

It's not that I'm just plain anti-CJ ...it's just that the merchants that prey on the average publishers who need to fund their sites ...that's just not right. They deserve better than to get ripped off.

If you see some good content site out there that asks for a paypal donation ...give a few bucks, or clue them in about an easy program like Google Adsense so they can keep their site going.

A main theme at ABW is that CJ is a friend of parasites ...surely you can't target me for giving a few alternatives other than such a network.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to use a redirect script for new links, and/or I ditto that CJ probably won't mind. I would think that they would approve, if it helped with conversions since everybody could see the d*mn content again...

But to change all the links already in place??? Even with a script, what a colossal pain...

Still, might have to consider it given the current circumstance.

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Webmaster@krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

quote:
    Anyways, why ask? (don't ask don't tell)

I asked because I thought I'd get a quicker answer here. I was anxious to make the changes on more pages. But cj did answer quicky and said it's ok. I also thought someone might mention how it has affected sales.

quote:
    like this: http://www.the-site.com/dir/goto.pl?cjTheCandyStore instead of http://www.qksrv.net/click-1111222-1...></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, I understand now why some people wouldn't want to do the redirect. It looks like they're hiding the entire url. That's a lot of work!

I only learned about this recently and don't know much except they're looking for certain words in the url, so I may be wrong. But since I change the things consistent with all links it would be pretty hard for them to target it. I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong.

So, my main concern is just hiding the qksrv.net, and since it's no more trouble I also do the "click". All you have to do is switch it on your page, then have the script switch it back. Very basic.

quote:
    But to change all the links already in place??? Even with a script, what a colossal pain...

This way even changing current links wouldn't be that bad. Just write a script and substitute it the same way.

umm i dunno:

I have been doing it for all kinds of links. Almost entire advertising contents of HTML pages of mine are created by CGI scripts and they never show up on the user's page.
    As far as changing hundreds, or even thousands, of add occurrences, I have written my own C++ programs that do it intantly.The C++ language is extremely effective in one of the major webmaster headaches: the manipulation of strings.

Later...

huhu

and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

huhu,
    I still don't understand. Could you explain further. What are you changing? You've hidden the qksrv.net and tested it and it doesn't show on pages with Norton ad blocker turned on? Does anything show? I have a trial norton on my computer and don't plan on giving them any money to find out.

umm i dunno:

The CJ-address does not show in the source code of the page. You only see, e.g.,

http://www.the-site.com/dir/goto.pl?hello

in the source code of the page on your browser instead of

http://www.qksrv.net/click-0000000-2222222

as you noticed above.

huhu

huhu,
    How about your qksrv image? Do you put that on your page? When does some thing show up, and is it all or nothing?

Sorry, I guess I can't expect you to anwer all my questions. I just haven't found anywhere that explains in any real detail what they've done and what shows when and what doesn't. Thanks.

umm i dunno:

Try the eBay Editor Kit. When, using it, you show the entire eBay auction results on an HTML-page, the source code of that same page contains no such results!

Later...

huhu
    (1869-1951).

huhu,
    I didn't look at the editor kit because they require you to fill out a form with an address, working email and other personal info. But I should be able to find some pages that use it. But do you mean, if a visitor has ad blocker installed and turned on, they can see the page but when trying to view the source code that page is blank? That's probably wrong. Right? Oh well, I guess I learned a little. I'll just have to keep reading. Thanks again.

Well, umm i dunno,

I have never tested ad blockers on such a page. I do not know where exactly they are looking for the ads. Obviously, the CJ-address is somewhere in the memory of the machine, because it is on the screen.

Later...

huhu
    ___________________--

huhu,
    Oh well, I only tried it on a small section and there are so many variables I guess the changes could be any of a number of things. But, it can't hurt so I'm just going to keep making the changes. Thanks.

umm i dunno:

The image is aslo included in the file called by the .cgi program. Any possible code can be included: image or no image. It doesn't matter.

Later...

huhu

huhu,
    I tried that on some of my pages too, but I keep going back and forth on weather I should keep it. I seem to remember reading somewhere that we're not allowed to mess with the tracking pixel, but I don't remember where I saw it. Or, maybe they just meant the count would be off.

Then again cj's stats hasn't matched mine in a while anyway. My busiest site shows about the same amount of hits as my slowest.

I wouldn't care so much how inaccurate their hit count is except it's just one more reason to feel tracking is way off. I'm just trying to figure out the better way to help sales and not have problems with cj.

quote:
    Then again cj's stats hasn't matched mine in a while anyway.
    None of the networks stats will match yours, pure and simply because they allow the parasites to steal and divert your AFID's.

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....STAMP EM OUT!!!
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

Are there any clean networks? You would think someone would see this as an opportunity to get more affiliates. Some people are just so short-sighted. Then again, maybe they're counting on us making just enough that we stay. How far can they go, where they keep us going as long as possible and they make as much money as possible.

(I meant whether not weather in the previous post.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast