ABW Ambassador
    It is possible to determine the site a visitor to my site has come from. While I have no need to do this, I could compare a url string containing an affiliate id against a list of allowable codes for that referrer site and allow or disallow the click accordingly.

Example: affiliate id 1234 would only be allowed if the site it was referred from was abc.com (or others if more than one site is registered to use it.) If scumware replaced the id with 5678 it would not be honored.

Is the weak link here scumware that may cause a redirect to the scumware site?

Wayne

Retired Member
    I'd be real nervous that you might accidently be eliminating some legitimate commissions.

Even if you disallowed the commission it wouldn't help the affiliate who was overwritten.

Maybe you could just use it as a tool to help track down the parasites rather than some automated system.

Retired Member

ABW Ambassador
    I'm just trying to think of ways for a network like CJ to insure that the affiliate ids coming from click-thrus from my site are mine. If their database had valid ids linked to a valid referring URL, they could easily do this.

If Ebates or Gator or any of them overwrite my id but lose the sale, I don't care!

Just trying to think of ways to protect my commissions. If the networks would take a pro-active stand to validate the clicks in any manner, small publishers like me wouldn't have to.

Wayne

Retired Member
    If they really wanted to shut these guys down they could do it very easily. They don't want to shut them down. They make lots of money together. CJ gets a percentage of everything these parasites hijack.

The courts are even backing the parasites. As long as the parasite is running on a private computer with permission from the owner; they can do anything they want.

Money talks and the only way to kill them off is to make it less profitable for the merchants who support the parasites. As long as the merchants and networks are making money from them, they will continue unabated.

My biggest fear is that the real powerhouses like Google, Yahoo, etc will use the same tactics once the courts have definitively declared this as legal.

Retired Member

I'm no expert, but I think referrer information is unreliable and very easy to fake. You may well block more legitimate commission than from parasites if you're not very careful.

Saying that, I like Steve's idea of using the data to help track down parasites.

Riatsala

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread