Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thank you everyone for your posts, comments and investigations on some of the ad blocking features enabled by certain firewalls, ISPs, virus scans, etc. As someone already said, it seems to be the feature du jour right now - even the Google bar now blocks pop ups.

1) CJ is aware of these issues and investigating ways to mitigate or resolve them.

2) Fortunately, these features are not default settings (in most cases), so it requires the user to enable them.

3) Network sales continue to increase each month, so the overall effect on commissions to publishers appears to be negligible - but I agree that it would be better if ads were not blocked.

4) My 2 cents: Not many users actually enable these settings. Those that do experience a "blander" Internet and most likely later disable the ad blocking. People who prefer to block ads are similar to those who block cookies - they are typically not online shoppers. Yes, I know there are exceptions to all of my points.

Again, we are looking into things and hope to mitigate the issues as quickly as possible.

Thanks again,

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

It is good to hear CJ is looking into this, but you are not telling us a whole lot that we don't already know.

quote:
    3) Network sales continue to increase each month, so the overall effect on commissions to publishers appears to be negligible - but I agree that it would be better if ads were not blocked.

I don't recall you every saying sales are down any month in the 2+ years I've been here.. Of course, that would be bad publicity for a company that is alway trying to recruit new merchants to join.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

quote:
    I don't recall you every saying sales are down any month in the 2+ years I've been here.. Of course, that would be bad publicity for a company that is alway trying to recruit new merchants to join.

They've been down in the past but no one asked me at the time, so I never said anything.

Seriously though, your commissions equate to our transaction fees. We are looking into things are hope to get things resolved as quickly as possible.

And sales really are increasing - If anyone needs an affiliate program, I know a great network...

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    If you need accurate stats on most of CJ network's major merchants ...just ask mrmerchant and Wayne for them.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

It is good to hear from you Todd, no matter what. It is of great importance to us to hear that CJ is actually doing something to alleviate the pain from several revenue problems induced upon the CJ-affiliates via modern technology.
    I wish you goof luck with all your efforts.

huhu

ABW Ambassador
    "Not many users actually enable these settings. Those that do experience a "blander" Internet and most likely later disable the ad blocking."

Norton Internet Security 2004 (with Ad-blocking which targets qksrv.net) was just released recently.

Already, affiliates, including myself are receiving e-mails from visitors asking for assistance, because qksrv.net ads are being erased by Norton.

Ad-blocking software is coveted, not to create a "blander" internet experience, but to create an "adless" less obnoxious experience.

What makes Norton Internet Security 2004 attractive to buyers? Ad-blocking is one such feature, and you know millions of people not only want it, but will use it.

We've discussed how that online shoppers, myself included, love to shop online, but see many sites that are just plain "over advertised", and we feel a need to call on software like Norton for that "blander" internet experience.

I admire that CJ will investigate ways to mitigate or resolve this issue ...but denying the extent of the problem doesn't make one very optimistic.

We've asked why qksrv.net has its very domain name blocked with this software, but other affiliate network domains go untouched.

The fact that CJ/qksrv is so despised by software giants like Norton ...it's darn right scary.

I feel irony rather than resolve. I feel like Norton will be the next new merchant in the CJ network tomorrow morning.

Good day.

Todd can you please reply my PM?

Todd-

Kelly makes a number of good points and I too hope you will address them. Specifically,

1) Though the adblocking may not be the default, as has been noted by others , there is an obvious way to activate it and it is very attractively displayed.

2) Bland isn't really the correct term. People do not want to see obnoxious ads. This does not mean their experience will be less if they don't see zillions of popup windows. People won't know why there are missing text links etc but will just assume it's poor web design etc... If a number of affiliates are getting emails that shoppers can't click on links then there is a serious problem. Why minimize it?

3) Have you contacted Norton? Perhaps you can discuss with them why the qksrv links are blocked to begin with. Maybe if you ask why you are discriminated against compared to befree and other affiliate networks that will be helpful.

4) Isn't it obvious that it's because of the obnoxious way that parasites put the qksrv links in your face constantly that companies like Norton and others want to make them unavailable?

I just installed Norton Internet Security, and the Ad Blocker default was ON!

Perhaps it was just my copy, but I did not see ads when I first went on the Internet, and this was before changing any settings. Maybe the latest versions being shipped have the blocker on by default.

Andy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Todd things that were within your companies control back when you wished to change direction and put some transparancy and trust back into affiliate network marketing sure got out of hand. Regardless of the EPC and swagger over leapfrogging your 2 sleeping competitors you dropped the ball on the main points of my suggestions back then.

CJ refused to distance themselves from the antics of a desperate online Ad industry. Rather then kick all the phoney affiliates and spammers posing as LEAD merchants out with the CPC merchants and click cheats, to clean up CJ's entire act, you chose to invite in and pimp for the Gorrilla marketers in all flavors.

Your companies call, so you'll suffer forever on the judgement to allow the theftware, spammers and Popup Gorilla marketers into your commission pool. Now they call the shots as they've directly and indirectly raped all your loyal affiliate base and you refuse to acknowledge they exist.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I have to agree about minimizing the situation because this is serious money being lost. A small percentage with the numbers we are talking about adds to BIG bucks!

Why CJ wouldn't want to go after Norton with a hold no prisoner attitude is beyond me. I believe CJ may have a valid legal stand against Norton. USE THIS to your advantage.

I have Norton 2002 set-up on my computer and turned on ad blocker to see what kind of effect it had on my newly born website made up of many html codes for CJ merchants. I am NOT impressed! Nothing like opening a window to see nothing but white!

I am wondering now if I will be spinning my wheels with my choice to use a majority of merchants under the CJ umbrella.

Word of mouth can be a dangerous thing and expensive. I would think it would be in CJ's interest to go after companies like Norton with a prioritized aggressiveness.

What about the free spyware software like "Spybot"!?!? They are calling Commission junction cookies spyware with a click to get rid of CJ's cookies. Not good! I might want to look for merchants under a different network that don't have these problems at this extent while my site is still young.

All the best!

"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."

I think CJ is simply putting their efforts into signing up more merchants (at what, $5,000 a pop plus all the other charges they tack on over the year for CJ mailings, etc). Sure they are loosing sales with ad blockers, but as long as they can keep signing up new merchants and new affiliates, why worry about that and about us complainers. CJ needs to quit thinking short term and look to the future. I think they have forgotten just how loud and powerful we can be if we want to be. Remember our campmaign about the parasites? We all got very loud, not just here but in the news media as well and we got heard. Yeah, all we got was a worthless COC, but it did show us our voice can be hard. Maybe it is time we start speaking loud again but this time not stop until we win the battle against parasites, ad blockers and such. As long as CJ is making a profit, they just are not going to care about this as much as we do.

Other affiliates: If I'm barking up the wrong tree here, set me straight and I'll stop.

Uh huh, the parasites take of your commissions is piddly. And, this is piddly. Everything that cuts into AFFILIATE profits is no account to CJ.

BUT, why do so many affiliates report that they are sending more and more traffic to CJ merchants but the percentage of sales they make with CJ merchants is less and less?

Why do so many affiliates report that when they change to another network they immediately start making more money?

Who should I believe CJ or the affiliates who depend on this for their livelihood?

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

LISTEN! CJ don't give no whistles no more! I can hear the music of another piper!

All I can say is that when someone follows a link from my page, it is NOT an unwanted AD, but a request to seek more information on products or whatever.

AD blockers are suppose to serve the purpose of blocking UNWANTED ads. NOT suppose to stifle customers from seeking information they request.

This seems to be getting out of hand and companies like Norton are infringing on business's of honest entrepreneurs.

CJ has solid ground in this issue the way I see it.Take Norton on CJ! I would like to know how serious CJ sees this issue. From the way the thread started it doesn't make me feel any better. But maybe I am wrong.

I am sure there will be many that will stand behind you!

Take no prisoners when it comes to obvious questionable practices infringing on a right to succeed without being looked down at by giants .

"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."

quote:
    Take Norton on CJ!

LOL!!!

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

LISTEN! CJ don't give no whistles no more! I can hear the music of another piper!

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    If Andy just downloaded Norton and the ad blocker was set to ON, by default, that's an even biger concern. Can someone else download and confirm this?

As far as getting action and results from CJ goes, there are people above Todd looking into this. How big of a priority is it and how much effort is going into finding a solution? I don't know....But think about it, who has the most to lose here? It's the merchants!

CJ, in the most basic terms is an ad network. Merchants are advertisers who pay a good price to be part of the network. They measure ROI and they WANT results! Affiliates serve the ads. Merchants PAY CJ and you to promote their products. If customers can't see the links or get to the site, who loses the most? The merchant!

If ads and links are blocked - who's ads are they? They are not yours, although you get a commission, they are not CJ's although they get a piece of the action. They are the MERCHANTS ads, going to the MERCHANTS site to make a purchase from the MERCHANT. Who gets the biggest piece of revenue? The Merchant!

Those of you that know me, know that I am one of the most affiliate centered consultants out there, but if you want resolution and support on this issue, ask yourself... Who has the most clout with CJ? The MERCHANT!

Let your merchants know a SMALL percentage of their ads may currently be blocked, but it could get worse as more worms and viruses spread and more people add security and ad blockers.

Again to keep this issue in perspective, I don't think it's a large percentage or I would be seeing it! All 3 of my CJ merchants - Irvs, Dentalplans and Roadloans are having major upward trends and breaking previous sale records. I have several ABW affiliates on IRvs that DOUBLED their July to August commissions, so again this is not yet major, but does need to be pro-actively dealt with.

Ask your merchants to contact CJ to see what is being done to address this issue.

I have someone on another forum who is using CGI re-directs and THEY BELIEVE this may be one solution. I am not technical enough to know, but am trying to get some people to test this. I will keep you posted.

Linda Buquet :: Affiliate Management Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit ABW Forum
    EveryTicket Sports/Concert Tickets :: Irv's Luggage Warehouse :: Executive Essentials Office & Gifts:
    DentalPlans :: HealthPlans :: Avid Hosting :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds Music :: Roadloans :: MORE!

quote:
    Originally posted by Catalyst:
    If Andy just downloaded Norton and the ad blocker was set to ON, by default, that's an even biger concern. Can someone else download and confirm this?

I just uninstalled my Norton 2002 and downloaded the trail version of 2003. The default setting for AD blocking for this trial version of 2003 is off.

Not sure about 2004. If I find a trial version for this, I will uninstall 2003 and install 2004 to check it out.

Uh huh, but once they join CJ, the merchants are locked into them with a contract and if I understand correctly, it is pretty expensive to get out of early. By the time the contract is up, the merchants have a number of affiliates and getting them all to follow to another network and re-do all their pages is both improbable and costly.

So once they pay to join CJ, even the merchants don't have as much power as you might think.

In fact, I have been told by a merchant that, CJ has a pretty arrogant attitude toward them and their concerns.

This is pretty upsetting to me because I originally petitioned this merchant to join CJ. Of course, this was back long before CJ was sold.

This merchant is at SAS, now trying to rebuild the affiliate marketing program that had over 6000 sites featuring them before CJs recent "improvements".

[This message was edited by SSanf on September 14, 2003 at 10:26 PM.]

Wow, I just turned ad blocking on in the 2003 version of Norton, and accessed my personal site. I don't have any Images or text links having anything to do with CJ.
    Not only opening links in a new windows because I can't. You just don't have any links to click. They take it right out of your page in this version. Unreal.

I don't know if it will do this with other networks because I didn't have a chance to join merchants under a different umbrella yet. I only have CJ links on my site right now.

If CJ is being singled out ( after doing a little surfing it sure looks like they might be....), then CJ corporate,CJ advertisers and CJ publishers are going to lose some big money if they don't find a resolution IMO.

I may put a note on my site concerning this and make it a priority to pick up some merchants elsewhere and see what happens.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    But think about it, who has the most to lose here? It's the merchants!

Shouldn't that be "It's the CJ merchants"?

Are we eluding the fact that Performics, LS, SAS, Befree, etc. don't have their text links erased by Norton?

What is the fix? A special array of scripts that expend more server resources, and have you working even more hours for that elusive CJ dollar?

Or the much easier route of promoting more merchants present at more "desirable" networks, where you can place a merchant text ad and know that this software giant hasn't erased your hard work?

We know where CJ's head is in all of this. Obviously they are comfy with their front cover parasite friends, and the notorious e-mail spammers (campaigners I mean) that make companies like Norton spend more hours on the blackboard dreaming this sh*t into reality.

You merchants that are serious about the future, get yourself over to a "desirable" network and let's make some money!

quote:
    quote:
    --------------------------------
    But think about it, who has the most to lose here? It's the merchants!
    --------------------------------

Shouldn't that be "It's the CJ merchants"?

IMO, the most to lose are publishers.
    Publishers – They lose commissions, the only source of income.
    CJ (and other Networks) –They lose commissions, but still have fee from merchants.
    Merchants – They lose Networks fee (some of them maybe even smile).

$1 for a publisher is worth more than $10 for CJ (other Network).

IRS

Don’t ask why the ball doesn’t come.

Todd's point is a fair one.. the merchant fee is only a part of their income, and the transaction fees are what counts for major merchants.

Sounds like one for the lawyers to me. The only thing I can say is that by CJ sales are down across the board, while my Befree ones are UP.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    IRS,

I know how important commissions are to publishers and was not trying to minimize that, but if you look at pure dollars - the merchants lose the most.

These are VERY average numbers - some will be higher and some lower. Avg merchant margin or profit 50%, commission paid 10%, CJ's cut 30% of that.

So if an ad is blocked that would have resulted in a $100 sale:
    Merchant loses $50
    Affiliate loses $10
    CJ loses $3

------------------------------

IMPORTANT
    FYI, Andy said:
    "I just installed Norton Internet Security, and the Ad Blocker default was ON!"

Note the program. There are a variety of Norton programs - virus, security and firewall.
    Please note specific versions and names when you download them. Please include the exact name and version of the program you install and test. Each may have different defaults.

Linda Buquet :: Affiliate Management Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit ABW Forum
    EveryTicket Sports/Concert Tickets :: Irv's Luggage Warehouse :: Executive Essentials Office & Gifts:
    DentalPlans :: HealthPlans :: Avid Hosting :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds Music :: Roadloans :: MORE!

Linda,

You are absolutely correct if we look at every single ad. But suppose that a bunch of ads involving a lot of merchants were blocked, the result would be different. My opinion is based on the worst scenario: if most of ads through CJ (followed by other Networks) were blocked. But anyway, who knows the future.

IRS

Don’t ask why the ball doesn’t come.

Like I said before, isn't it time we all rally together and start emailing all our merchants to let them know about this? Our little voices may do nothing with CJ, but when hundreds of Merchants start complaing to CJ I'm sure they will stand up and pay a little more attention to this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast