Anyone here get big traffic, how'd you do that? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Yeah i'd like to have a couple of ideas myself on how to bump up the traffic a bit (and not with startblaze visitors).

Anyone have any suggestions that are cost effective????

I don't know if it will work for you guys or not, but have you thought about an advertising trade (not a link exchange). One of our sites is a music website, and I've worked out a deal with some local concert promoters...I give them a little webspace for a banner at some of their concerts. Our current promotion is a local 'battle of the bands' if you will. I've set up a polling place where visitors can vote for their favorite bands. The concert promoter provided me with a list of 60 bands, and that will be narrowed down to 15 according to the number of votes/ranking that each band gets. I now have the record promoter, as well as 60 bands promoting the hell out of my site. Our events page went from 500 uniques a day to 6000 and climbing. Perhaps there is somebody with a site somewhat related to yours that could benefit greatly from your services.
    JQ, I can think of a handful of things that you may be able to do..especially with radio. If there is a local finance show on a station, trade some advice for some air-time, etc.

Tom Pyles
    TH Media

erm, look, I've been working on my site for about a year and have gotten around 42,000 hits. I can tell you it takes time, work, patience, and money helps, too. The easiest way to start getting traffic is build a links section and start surfing. Surf through categories related to the theme of your site and see if you can find sites willing to trade links with you. Reciprocal text links are the most effective advertising on the Internet. That, and maybe consider joining a few webrings.
    Don't be afraid to trade links with homepages and small dotcoms...Matter of fact, that is probably a good place to start because there is much less attitude at the bottom of the net.
    That, and maybe see if you can add your link to the tiny search engines at the bottom of the net, too.
    In addition, keep tuning the code, and adding content. The rest is word of mouth (not email, lolz). Don't waste your time with FFA's or any paid promoters out there. If you WANT to spend money for traffic go with a payclick engine like Goclick or Win4win, and if you think your site is good enough, get her listed in Mamma's Collection for $20/year, that's good stuff, too.

G'luck, and laterzAwards 'n topsites portal

big traffic though?

link swap takes to long to build up traffic, i'm stating to get more link swaps now, but too slowwwwww.... any magic bullets... anyone used a promotion service that gave good results, like webpromotion gold or something?

need recommendations...

hey thanks for info so far, this really helps... i wanna do it all [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

hi
    what do you consider to be big traffic?
    just interested...

nothing nothing nothing

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: Heyder ]

Heyder:

That might bring in unique users, but those people aren't going to stay if they've been deceived. Also, the indexer at Google is a pretty fast study -- you might be able to fool it for a short time, but not over the long term.

The key is simple stuff -- use meta tags to describe your content, have good content that people are interested in, and try to create alliances.

I get about 50,000 page views a month on each of the two sites I run, and I did it a number of ways. First, it's impossible to underestimate the power of alliances. I get a ton of traffic from a similar site, and I pay him back by throwing traffic his way. A mutually beneficial relationship. I got listed in every index I could think of that was related to my subject matter. I also got a listing on DMOZ, which I assume is helping spiders to find my site. (I did all this for absolutely no money whatsoever, although it did take some time).

Good "extras" help, too -- email to a friend functions, message boards, etc...

What kind of site is it?

nothing nothing nothing

I got 160,000 page hits one month and made almost nothing.. was mostly adult traffic though,
    Now down to 60,000 and making money.
    Agree with previous reply about wordtracker..
    And why not create a lot of pages, if each targets a specific product... I mean, Amazon etc seem to do that.

[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: clicknasty ]

nothing nothing nothing

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: Heyder ]

yep, i'm starting to realise... i've worked quite hard to get up to 1000 views per day, i'd like to 10 times that to 10,000 per day... if i just make another 10 sites??

Just keep churning out pages, yep...i think i'll do try that, but yes... getting targetted traffic is the goal huh... my 1000 views per day aren't particularly targetted, need to review that situation...

[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: WebSearchEngines.net ]

You have a passion for creating advertising pages on expired domains, Heyder. I guess that's cool --more power to you. (After all, I made a site primarily devoted to feces, so I'm not really one to talk). But you know, of course, that Amazon doesn't just make pages for the sake of making pages -- those pages have content there. Each page is different.

Actually -- I'm curious as to how much you guys pull in with expired domains and whatnot. Do you really make money? Do you use affiliate programs?

I think there are a lot of misconceptions out there about how search engines work. If you're looking for a good information, check out this article: http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...ex1a_meta.html

It explains why your theory is wrong. Also, there's a question about the types of visitors you're grabbing...

Cheers!

[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: Johnny Suburbs ]

nothing nothing nothing

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: Heyder ]

nothing nothing nothing

Guys,

Heyder is correct!

Doorway pages do generate at least 100% more traffic than doing the meta tag thing!

I have a site where if you type the term (an everyday legal term) in yahoo there is only one other company returned ... so we share the 30 or so clicks from there a day [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I got there via meta-tags and cross linking from my other sites (for popularity) after two years!
    Now, traffic for that site from doorway pages equals 2,000 a day! You tell me what works best [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Heyder,

If you could ... can you give us a quick primer on doorway pages here for all to try so that they can see for themselves [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Haiko

yes do that pls... i wanna know what works rather than reading about theory [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

First I will start fresh and clarify

Do not spam! Do not fool search engines or trick them and do not trick or fool your visitors!

Do build good content related pages and focus good keywords on those pages.

IF you build a page focused on mortgage calculators then provide a mortgage calculator on that page or at least link to one on that page. Sell items related to those keywords. I have a page using mortgage calculator as the focus and it gets a good amount of traffic. The click thru rate to my befree merchant for mortgages is 17% and I convert about 25% of those to a $12.50 lead. Hmm! So I am spamming hey! Ah ah! BS! Woah excuse me!

Okay so this is what I do. Why stop there why not link to other pages and build other content pages that focus on other good keywords and sell other things that relate to those keywords and get tons more traffic.

Again let me clarify, dont try an fool search engines or your visitors.

Okay so if you think about it, let's say that for one page focused on a keyword you get 200 visits why not continue until you have 100 pages and get in theory 20,000 visitors, more or less depending on how well you focus on niche keywords and good content that people want.

Too many times we focus on search engines and not on the actual people. This is a mistake. What purpose do you think the search engines have? To serve the people.

If you want big traffic you have to do what the big sites do and that is have something for everybody and build pages for every Tom, Dick and Harry out there.

Yahoo has how many pages???

Thanks pal... keep up the good work at this forum!!

Yup, I try to add new content when I can, because it's that content which attracts the visitors.

That having been said I don't have much content nor the time to write it, but it when I do I can see the effect on my stats.

Heyder and All:
    Most of you suggest doorway pages. It seems logical and something I'd like to try. As a rookie, I have a dumb question. If I am building out numerous sites, should I have a unique URL to each site. If that is the case, isn't it going to get expensive? Your thoughts needed.
    Thanks

depends on the search engine i think... someone will probably make a sweeping statement though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I think alta vista doesn't mind you submitting doorway pages on the same url so long as the pages have content??

I NEED HELP! I just started my music/dvd/software/book store and i need to make some $$$$. anyone with ideas email me at islesjar1@aol.com and checkout my site at :rolleyes: :confused: emedia/jim

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Heyder

Here I thought I was the only one!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Those single pages add up to quite a bit, even when single pages are only under minor terms. Not that Mortgage Calculator is a minor term!!!

I have some terms like you describe, Haiko--and after catching the scent of FREE traffic that converts, well...GoTo doesn't smell quite so good as it used to! I hear you about the 2 years to get there. Then something clicked and I was able to pull a page up out of the Netherworld...now I write a bit differently.

Can't say I don't miss the old title, though...it was much more punchy than what I've got now!

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread