ABW Ambassador
    You have the 27th of Sept. (ABestWeb calendar) as Google day(?) I have not seen any shift in the rankings. Did I lose out this time, or is this just wishful thinking on your part about today being Google day?

[Big Chuck rolls dice! - and he's a winner!]

Chuckster,

Was wishful thinking (posted by a member) ... I think it will be on the 2nd.

Haikster

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: Haiko ]

Hi Haiko,

That's when I guessed. Who's running this pool anyways?

ABW Ambassador
    I started the thread back at the CJU forum. I guessed the 23rd - I was wrong [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I am hoping google follows aol.com - 3rd on the first page for coupons!

anxiously waiting...

Hi Big Chuck,

Congratulations!

"Coupons" doesn't look too tough to take on Google. I would say that about 200-300 links from average sites with "coupons" in the link text should take about #3 on Google. You had 98 the last time Google came around. How many have you added?

ABW Ambassador
    I have added small banners toward the top of the page with ALT text that include the word coupons - does the Googler pick up on ALT text? I have also changed the first words on the page and the title - I have added the word coupons several more times. I just wish I could find a way to change my description that is listed with my site. It comes from my original posting at DMOZ.org, and is misleading somewhat. I do not offer, but tried in the beginning, local merchant coupons. I updated my listing at DMOZ.org but it appears it didnt work, or the listing just aint going to change at Google, and AOL. I hope this doesnt hurt me later down the road(?)

Hi Big Chuck,

Sorry; I thought you knew how Google worked.

It doesn't matter very much what you have on your page to Google. You need to get other sites to link to you... especially with the word "coupons" in the link text or in the alt text of img tags.

Links within your site matter too... but they won't be counted for much unless you back them up with links to your site from other sites.

Google knows about 98 links to your site from the last index. A quick sampling showed that many would contribute to a high ranking for "coupons". You need to add 100-200 more to capture the #3 spot on Google.

Messing with keyword density only works with old generation search engines (like aol, alta-vista, etc.)

Search Engine Forums.

And Big Chuck, never under estimate the AOL shopping power.

The directories which use DMOZ listings often take awhile to update.

ABW Ambassador
    Google has started to dance. Does anyone know how it indexes; I mean, how long ago did it spider the web, and what new pages can I expect to see in the index by the time it's done? Will Google include in it's index pages I made a week ago? Right now i don't see all the pages I added, I have added a lot of pages since the last indexing. I havent seen changes n Yahoogle yet, nor in Google. The changes as of now are only in www2google.com, and www3.google.com.

Chuck, my pages from a week ago have not appeared.. but everything else is sweet..

ABW Ambassador
    how much time is between the crawl until the indexing? when does Google crawl? now there is a new index, when will the next crawl take place? today? next week? will google scrub the web more than once between indexing?

When the index stops moving, the googlebot family will usually start their crawl again within 1-2 days. If there is something you want in there for the next update, its time to get it online..

As for when the next index update will be, that's anyones guess..

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread