Anyone out there know of some relatively easy ways to increase google "page rank"?

I'm not talking about rank for specific key words in google, but rather google's "page rank" for a specific page. If you have played with google's advanced tool bar, you will know what I'm talking about.

Ofcourse, I have some ideas, but want to be careful that I don't piss off the googlebot. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

If you have good content, e-mail webmasters with related sites and request a link.

If you want to improve your chances, let the webmasters know that you have linked to them first on a Links page.

Also, I am a dmoz editor, and I put all of my sites in my bookmarks. It's a PageRank of 5.

ABW Ambassador
    Peter,

I submitted a site dmoz.org recently and the editor still hasn't listed it. How long does it normally take? Will they email me a confirmation?

Hey Peter Kirby,
    Do you put only your sites that are relevant to your categories in your bookmarks? My category is tiny and not relevant to any of my sales sites. And do you link only to the site or to separate pages? Oh, my this is the juiciest new tidbit in a while!

TIA,
    webmistress

Thanks Peter.

I used to do that, but have been slacking lately and many of the sites I have traded links with no longer exist. I suppose it's time to get back at it again.

Would posting links in message boards and guest books help too (posting in ones that google already indexes ofcourse).

I think you need to try and get links on pages that have a decent page rank. If a links page has a page rank of 1, then that link isn't going to be as valuable as a link from a page with a page rank of 5.

I suppose I can hunt down related sites with links pages with decent page rank and then try and trade with those.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Peter...

1st, do you mean a bookmark equals a link with a site with a PageRank of 5?

2nd, how in the heck can Google tell whether you bookmarked it or not?

Alladvantage.com still has a page rank of 7 and they have been gone for over a year. That would be a nice domain name to get. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    How do you find out what your page rank is?
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I wasn't expecting this much of a response! :-)

Big Chuck said:

"I submitted a site dmoz.org recently and the editor still hasn't listed it. How long does it normally take? Will they email me a confirmation?"

If you submitted your site to the 'Gnosticism' or 'Early Christian Writings' categories, your site would have been reviewed in less than three days. Those are my categories right now, and I keep on top of things.

However, many editors are way behind, either because they lost interest in maintaining their categories or they have a high volume of submissions without enough help in their categories. I think it is polite to give an editor two weeks to review your site. After two weeks are up, e-mail the editor(s) of the most specific category (maybe the same cat or maybe one cat up or two cats up, depending) about your submission. Be courteous, and that might wake a slumbering editor. After another week, e-mail the editor(s) at the next highest level. Proceed to do this until you get a response. Always keep in mind, though, that the editors are volunteers not getting compensated for their efforts.

I have only once gotten an e-mail confirmation from a page submitted to dmoz. I never myself have given an e-mail confirmation. To find out if you're listed, do a search at dmoz.org for your URL. Note that the partner sites will take two to four weeks or more to update to the new DMOZ data, so check dmoz.org itself.

If you are genuinely interested in building the directory and trust yourself to be objective, try digging up three other good unlisted sites in your category and apply to become an editor. You can add your own site, as long as you don't start mucking with other sites in your category.

Webmistress said:

"Do you put only your sites that are relevant to your categories in your bookmarks? My category is tiny and not relevant to any of my sales sites. And do you link only to the site or to separate pages? Oh, my this is the juiciest new tidbit in a while!"

No, actually, it doesn't matter if your categories are related to the sites in your DMOZ bookmarks. In fact, your category pages are not linked to your bookmark pages, so far as I can tell. I can find only one link that goes to my bookmark page, and that is this one:
    http://dmoz.org/Bookmarks/G/

Eventually, I should link to every single web page that I have. However, since I have about 500 web pages, I have not completed this task yet. So far I have only linked to pages that I specifically wish to improve the PageRank for. But rumor has it that Google calculates a PageRank for an entire site/domain, so links to your sub-pages might improve your rank for your main page as well as for the sub-pages. Also, the more links that are on your bookmarks page, the more stuff that Google has to match against in order to determine relevancy.

Commission King said:

"I used to do that, but have been slacking lately and many of the sites I have traded links with no longer exist. I suppose it's time to get back at it again."

Reciprocal links are my #1 source of traffic for my content pages. They are the best!

CK: "Would posting links in message boards and guest books help too (posting in ones that google already indexes ofcourse)."

It probably helps if Google determines that these pages are relevant to your own page.

CK: "I think you need to try and get links on pages that have a decent page rank. If a links page has a page rank of 1, then that link isn't going to be as valuable as a link from a page with a page rank of 5."

Mostly I ask for links from places of rank 4 and up.

CK: "I suppose I can hunt down related sites with links pages with decent page rank and then try and trade with those."

Don't forget that the links themselves bring in traffic, not just PageRank!

Leader wrote:

"1st, do you mean a bookmark equals a link with a site with a PageRank of 5?"

I mean that my DMOZ Bookmarks page has a PageRank of 5.

"2nd, how in the heck can Google tell whether you bookmarked it or not?"

DMOZ Bookmarks pages are publically viewable. Here is my URL:
    http://dmoz.org/Bookmarks/G/gnosticus/

Cazzie said:

"How do you find out what your page rank is?"

If you've been listed in DMOZ for a while (a few months), drill down to the appropriate category in the Google Directory and your page rank will be displayed along with your site.

That's the hard way. The easy way is to download the Google toolbar for MS Internet Explorer here:
    http://toolbar.google.com/

The Google Toolbar is the only thing that forced me to stop using Netscape Navigator. :-)

You can find out page rank by installing the google toolbar at http://toolbar.google.com/
    "Page Rank" will be displayed on the toolbar for each page that you visit.

I think it is only available in the advanced version, so when it asks you which one you want select it.

You can turn it on and off just like your other tool bars.

Page Rank is the measure of how important that google thinks your page is regardless of what key words you are trying to target.

Page Rank appears to be a measure not simple the number of sites that link to your page, but the quality of those pages in terms of page rank. If you had a direct link from yahoo.com pointing to your site, your page rank would be high with just one link, because yahoo.com has a page rank of 10 and a zillion links pointing to it.
    Getting a link on a page with a page rank of 5 would be better than getting several links from pages with a page rank of 1. I also hear the more links that are on the page that is pointing to yours the less import google views that link. (ie link farms aren't going to help you much).

If you want to try and get a #1 ranking on google for keywords "Product XYZ", then search for that term on google. Check the page ranks of the top 3 listings. If you can beat their "page rank", then all you basically have to do is include "Product XYZ" in your title and a few times on your page and bingo, you should be #1 or close to it. It's hard to figure out all of the googlebot's secrets, but the above theory seems to work well. If you can't beat their page rank, then chances are you aren't going to get to #1. If you can't beat #10's page rank, then you might want to consider targeting a related key phrase that you can get into the top 10 and then work to improve your page rank.

Ofcourse ways to improve your page rank is what we are debating here. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    If I am understanding this right, You have to be listed in the dmoz to get a page rank? Also it is my understanding that a site like my shopping directory, is not allowed in the dmoz. Is that correct?
    Thanks
    cazzie
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Cazzie,

No you don't have to be in dmoz to get a page rank. "Page Rank" is a google thing.
    All pages in google's directory have a "page rank".
    You can see your page rank from dmoz as described above or simply download the google toolbar.

Getting listed in dmoz will help your "page rank".

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Peter Kirby--Okay, gotcha! Thanks!

Thanks Peter Kirby and Commission King.

Sigh, I really have to get my system to accept an upgrade of IE. I'm stuck in IE4 since every time I upgraded to IE5 the whole system would start crashing a couple of times a day. Maybe IE6 will be a bit friendlier.

Now I'm curious about my page weights. But first, time to log in to my DMOZ category, bwahahahahhahahahaha.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] :eek:

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread