Anyone tried it?

Have you tried the free submission yet? I found Groundzero newly added 3 days ago after submitting 3 weeks earlier. I had heard they were neglecting the free submissions but it looks like they are back to putting in new additions.

yeah, I heard that they had suspended free updates since summer.. ok, I'll skip the expensive paid listing..

I've been thinking about it. But at $78 per year, it isn't cheap. But I have for the time being decided against it, and here's why. AltaVista places stress on the number of links pointing to a page. If you have a new site and you pay the submission fee, sure you'll get in fast. But how long will it take for sites who have linked to you to get in to the AltaVista database? Until these other pages get listed (or re-indexed), your link popularity will not go up. This means that you will not show up in the search results. (I've tried it: I enter the exact nine-word title of the web page with 0 inbound AltaVista links and it doesn't show up at all.) Obviously, you can't afford to start paying admission fees for all the pages that point to you! This means that paid submission is not effective and indeed neither is free submission; the best submission is to beef up your inbound links and wait for AltaVista to spider you. Then you pay nothing and rank well when you do eventually get listed. I can only think of two reasons now for paying AltaVista. (1) If AltaVista changed the algorithm to favor paid pages. I have heard rumors to this effect, but no concrete studies, and AltaVista itself would never admit this because of the bad PR it would produce. It's something to think about, though. (2) If you are going to enhance your listing. Enhanced listings may be a cost-effective way to increase click-throughs. Basically, then, it would make sense to go for paid submission once you get in the top 10 or so for your desired keyphrase: you can then get any possible paid submission boost and can implement any enhancements, and you will not have paid for the months that your site had languished because of low link popularity. That's my take on the situation anyways.

Now the next question... will I take the money I save and apply it towards Yahoo! express submit? I think I will go for Yahoo! express submit only if I don't get in after two submissions and six weeks. (Yahoo! suggests a resubmit after three weeks.)

inktomi is a cheaper option.. my new site has gone straight into top 10 and picked up a little traffic.. nothing like a google listing though
    see here - http://www.positiontech.com/

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread