Hello,

If anyone here has had a good experience with Google AdWords, please chime in. First, the good points: the AdWords program was very easy to set up, fully automated, and instantly implemented (although it didn't like me trying to use the word "Google" in the description). It might even be a good option for high-profit terms.

I myself, however, cannot justify the expense of Google AdWords for anything that is not worth about $2 per click. This is because Google charges per impression on a $15 CPM basis (lower CPM if you are lower in the AdWords popularity). So, if you have a click-through rate of 1% (pretty common I think), you are paying $1.50 per click. The click-throughs are not that great because the AdWords sit on the right side with small print in a "I'm an Advertisement-Ignore Me" box. There is little or no "branding" effect because there is only words, no graphics or logos.

I wasted only $2.00 with Google AdWords, but I am sure there are people out there who are wasting more. I only got 1 click in my trial run of $2.00. The same money will be better spent with Overture, which is a comparative bargain at about 6 cents per click or 33 visitors for $2.00. The same money could also be spent with other pay-per-click search engines for about 3 cents per click for my keywords. In the same time period that my ad ran with Google, I got 40 clicks for $1 from 7Search and 50 clicks from Kanoodle for $2. (But FindWhat and Overture still have to approve my listings.)

Lesson learned: don't pay for impressions!

I tried it.. it was TERRIBLE.. worked out at $1 a hit!

Google Ad Words only works for really really specific search phrases. I am getting a 3-4% click through rate with them.

Wouldn't be great if they went to pay-per-click instead though? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I tried it for a very specific search term - a specific model notebook computer - I would not recommend it at all, don't waste your dollars there - spend it on an inktomi listing or beer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I tested it on a number of terms. For those terms with over 400 views (five terms), CTR ranged from 1.3% to 4.91%.

The unfortunate part is click cost averaged about .35 per click. Not a bid amount I would often consider in a PPC engine.

It was an interesting test, but not something I see as valuable right now.

a lot of people must be wasting a lot of money finding this out

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread