ABW Ambassador
    I just submitted several pages to Inktomi - about 6 sites. Cost only about $115. What should I expect to see as far as traffic? How many visitors a day? How do they rank how your pages will come up in searches. And will I start to see alot of traffic from different search engines.

Lastly, how long do they take to approve you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The ease of use and control you have is excellant. Some have claimed lots of success, but that's not been my experience. Odball terms will rock but common terms usually will have you listed lastely as most like hotbot pull their own first and then use inktomi.

The best advantage is you can change urls and pages at will. It only takes 2 days to reindex so if it doesn't work you will know within 3 days and try something new again within three days.

Your pages have got to be good enough to make it to the top of the list on their own merit, paying inktomi does not put you at the top like paying overture does, it justs gets you in the index quickly - within a few days.
    Heyder is right - some obscure pages will pick up traffic, others will get nothing.. switch pages until you find a winner.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Guys - but when you say I can switch pages at will - do you mean pay more money to add different pages or can I edit the ones I already submitted.

Should I play around with the title and meta tags - is that what you mean. What does it use as your title - The meta title tag and description or your regular title tag and a description scanned from your site.

You pay for a number of entries and can then edit the urls whenever you want, you dont pay any extra.. that entry just drops out of the index for a day or two until they review your change.. I've never had a change rejected.
    You can still get a lot more traffic from google.. and its free!

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Spiderman ]

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I love thou googlebot - I'm just waiting for the reindex to take place. I got screwed this month because my sites went down last month during the spidering and I lost major keywords - I mean major. So I'm trying to supplement my google traffic right now. Always willing to try new things out. Anything to build traffic.

Oh yeah, poor jada... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    googlebot came to see my new site last week.. when do the updates start appearing in www2/3.google?

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Spiderman ]

Hello,

Here is my experience with a paid Inktomi listing through ink.ineedhits.com. It cost $30 for the first URL, which is what I am reporting on.

My listing was included in the Inktomi database after four days (two business days). My listing appeared 24 hours after spidering by Inktomi in partners such as AOL, MSN, and HotBot. Total wait time from payment to listing was about 120 hours, not about 48.

I got my first hits on the seventh day, 31-Oct-2001. According to the statistics on ink.ineedhits.com, I received 12 hits between 31-Oct-2001 and 10-Nov-2001. That averages out to about 1 click per day according to the statistics.

However, there is a little disclaimer that says "Click-Thru reports currently only reflect a small percentage of the entire click-thrus Inktomi Search Partners refer to your URL." In order to verify this, I turn to me web logs. Note that I do not have any listings in DMOZ or LookSmart for this URL, so my web logs for Inktomi partner sites are "pure" from any improvement for listings in these directories. My web logs show 17 hits from aolsearch.aol.com, 9 hits from search.msn.com, and 2 hits from auto.search.msn.com. I couldn't find any hits from hotbot. Doing the math, that is 28 hits from my Inktomi listing, or 2.33 times more hits than were tracked on ink.ineedhits.com.

For an understanding of the significance of these numbers, note that I rank #1 in all Inktomi partners for a two-word phrase that receives 419 searches per month on Overture.

At the rate of traffic I am receiving, over the total 360 days of being listed for $30, I will receive 840 hits. That averages out to 3.57 cents per click. This is a tremendous value, given that my visitors are worth about 40 cents each and that I have bid as much as 22 cents per click for this site.

What is really nice, however, is that you can tweak your site after you have been listed in order to rank higher for more keyphrases. Myself, I noticed that I ranked #13 for a keyphrase that I didn't even think about targeting and that gets 707 searches per month in Overture. So I have gone back and increased the keyword density dramatically for that keyphrase. This has the potential to double my Inktomi traffic, driving the cost per click down below 2 cents!

In summary, then, my experience with Inktomi is that the service is quite worthwhile. My recommendation is to find a keyphrase in Overture that is searched about 500 times per month - not too competitive, but still enough searches - and go totally overboard with keyword density for that phrase. You can snag a #1 spot on MSN and AOL and watch the cheap hits roll in.

But note well: do not target a single word! You will not show up for a single word because you will be buried under directory listings from LookSmart (for MSN) and DMOZ (for AOL). Inktomi results come up most when searching for a two or three word phrase, so target those!

Note also that a good description is LookSmart/Zeal is important because Inktomi partners will display the LookSmart description instead of your own. If you don't want a LookSmart description overriding yours, don't list with LookSmart.

ABW Ambassador
    WOW - Thanks Peter Kirby - Great advice. Good then I feel like my $100 was well spent. I'm excited and looking forward to my listings appearing.

I'm glad Inktomi works for someone, but that hasn't been my experience. I hardly get any traffic from it

Peter Kirby wasn't talking about the amount of traffic, but what that traffic is generally worth to him:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>At the rate of traffic I am receiving, over the total 360 days of being listed for $30, I will receive 840 hits. That averages out to 3.57 cents per click. This is a tremendous value, given that my visitors are worth about 40 cents each and that I have bid as much as 22 cents per click for this site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Peter knows how much each new visitor is worth, and can calculate that the amount of hits was worth the listing fee. Obviously 840 hits is not tons of traffic. The point is that those 840 hits are worth $336 to Peter Kirby and he only paid $30 for them. That's a good Return on Investment according to his calculations.

That's really the key: figuring out how much each new visitor is worth to you. Great post, Peter Kirby.

ABW Ambassador
    Webmistress, you write good sense in your post, but you sure have a dorky signature! :rolleyes:

Elisabeth Archambault

ABW Ambassador
    BTW, the submission price is going up in the near future.

ABW Ambassador
    It now says my stats are listed. However I went to altavista to see if the url was listed and can't find it.

Are the stats updated in real-time?

I thought you were talking about Inktomi submission, not AltaVista submission. They are two different animals.

Assuming you are talking about Inktomi submission, try checking here:
    http://169.207.238.189/search/

Allow 24-48 hours between the time you are spidered by Inktomi and the time you are listed in Inktomi's search partners.

By the way, jimbo is right; the cost for additional URLs is going up from $15 to $25.

Well, then I guess that means I should move Inktomi experiments off the back burner and get to it.

Like this sig any better, Elisabeth?
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Groan ....

ABW Ambassador
    Peter Kirby - I was talking about inktomi listings. I didn't know where to check for my listings and I thought I'd check altavista. WRONG!! I'll check the link you just gave me. thanks.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread