One of the buttons under each message of mine says: Edit/Delete message. When I try to delete the message I get that "this board does not allow the deletion of messages", or something like that. This is absolutely unacceptable. Every poster should be able to delete his/her messages at least within a few minutes after they post them. There is no excuse for anything other than that. This is a message board for free people. It shouldn't make the posters feel that they are trapped!

huhu

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    One of the reasons for that is that if posts disappear, the responses to those posts no longer make any sense.

It can be a pain occasionally, but I've seen what can happen when posts utterly disappear without a trace and therefore I support having the ability to delete posts blocked.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Just Lurking
    I found out about the delete thing a couple of days ago. That and the limited time to edit a post could drive me nuts.

huhu,

If a user wants to delete their post they can go back and edit it to say "please delete" and it will be removed. In addition to what Leader said, if we were to allow members to remove their posts it could mean that they could also delete an entire topic as well.

=============
    Buddha,

The edit time is sufficient enough to make any appropriate changes while being still short enough to send out a timely notification to subscribers.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Just Lurking
    quote:
    Originally posted by Haiko:
    Buddha,

The edit time is sufficient enough to make any appropriate changes while being still short enough to send out a _timely_ notification to subscribers.

Yeah Yeah I'm getting use to it . . . Actually I think it's improving my writing.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread