I was just wondering what the average no. of keywords it is that people bid on at ppc search engines.

Do you go for a lot of targeted terms, or a small no. of highly targeted terms.Less traffic, more targetted or more traffic, less targeted. :confused:

I'm not talking about bidding on totally useless terms just an example,

I fyou own a uk babies clothes site would you bid on terms just like 'uk babies clothes'.etc. or 'baby clothes'

Thanks

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Well the more terms and the more specific terms the better and cheaper they can be. Just don't bid $5.00 instead of 5 cents (LOL)

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I've found it better to have very specific/action keywords example: buy childrens clothing = a buyer
    childrens clothing = a looker

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Heyder ]

jq,

I average well above 60 per!

ie. for abw .... over 127 .... have let it slide as I'm working on a quite few things ...

To answer your "'uk babies clothes'.etc. or 'baby clothes'" question .... I would never bid on "UK" babies clothes nor any variation thereof ... just item specific and varied using the keyword tool at the PPC ... it is easy to find at least 100 that way [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Haiko

I just started a UK babies clothes site .. you can see the keywords that I have in the title tag and I have written them in yellow colored text above the page for the SEs -- they seem to really do great for the PPCs right now!

oops .. forgot the url : http://www.cjkiosk.com/kidsclothes.htm ...

checkout the keywords :
    Buy Clothing for Kids, Buy Kids Clothing, Clothes for Children, European clothes for children, Clothes for Kids

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Internet Guru Pranav ]

ABW Ambassador
    Pranav,

It helps to use a tool like "Good Keywords" to see appoximatley how many hits your term will get and then seeing if you can get a good bid on it.

Also, search terms are fairly basic for the average user. For example, kids clothes , will get more hits than the ones you've used...But they are alot more expensive to bid on. But bidding low on alot of more obscure terms will add up in the long run.

Regards,
    Dave

Being a Mother, I would probally not type in "buy kids clothes" what I would type in would be say "grr animals overalls" or "fancy little girl dresses" or "onesies"

Those were the things I was looking for back then. Now I am looking for "pink floyd band shirts" lol [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I have LOTS of keywords! I bid on as many as I can for a category. Usually I just pull up the terms from the OverSure suggestion tool (even if I'm not going to bid at OverSure--FindWhat's tool isn't nearly as good). Another good one is WordTracker, but it only shows terms that get at least 3 searches a day, so for the REALLY minor stuff the OverSure tool is the one.

"I'm not talking about bidding on totally useless terms~JQ"

There is rarely such a thing as a "totally useless term" for the PPCs! If it comes up in the OverSure tool, someone searched on it. If nobody ever searches on the term again, you're not out anything except the time it took to type that one little phrase.

The above paragraph does not apply to those weird flukes where someone strings together a bunch of unrelated keywords and happens to include yours in the string (causing it to come up in the tool). These conglomerations of about 10 different words show up in the OverSure tool occasionally--but they never get clicks. And sometimes some REALLY offbeat thing like "he pay the bill" will come up (I was looking under "bill pay" at the time, to promote a bill payment service)...those are junk, too.

Action words like "buy kids clothes" DO get a great conversion ratio! That's about the most qualified click you can get!!! But hardly anybody types that compared to other searches, so don't forget the other terms.

As for the main category, sometimes I don't even bid on it. A term like "baby clothes" might take quite a high bid to get into, and may not be worth it! But there should be plenty of peripheral terms to jump on.

When it comes to how many keywords, "lots"=70 or more in most cases. Some things I promote don't have that much of a variety to bid on, but it's better if they do. Some categories have over 100 listings! Most of those 100 get no clicks. The thing is, there's no real way to tell which listings will get the clicks except by putting them up. Sometimes the terms that actually get the clicks are quite surprising!

ABW Ambassador
    Be aware of the fact that Overture's data is distorted by their "matching" of keywords. They often "match" several variations of search terms to the same results, and in their suggestion tool you can't tell if the person actually searched for the singular, plural, a misspelling, or whatever. That's where an oddity like "he pay the bill" comes from - it's matching "pay" and "pays".

The list of terms you come up with using Overture's tool will be fine for Overture - if the person types in one of several variations Overture will return the same results so you only need to bid on one of them. But if you use the same term list in other search engines without making a point of including singular, plural, possessives, common misspellings, etc. your list may have significant gaps in other search engines.

These gaps are also something to keep in mind if you're using Overture to help you decide how to optimize pages for non-PPC search engines. Overture's tool is a helpful starting point, but it's still wise to get a second opinion to get more detailed reporting.

Elisabeth Archambault

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "These gaps are also something to keep in mind if you're using Overture to help you decide how to optimize pages for non-PPC search engines. Overture's tool is a helpful starting point, but it's still wise to get a second opinion to get more detailed reporting.~Buckworks"

I'll agree with that. I have noticed also, that people search for other terms altogether on the wider Net (as reported by Wordtracker). Some terms that OverSure reports as getting a lot of searches don't get ANY anywhere else! I believe these come from AskJeeves. AskJeeves makes set queries if you pick one of their "pre-formatted" questions, and pulls the outside results from OverSure. So OverSure gets some searches that no one else gets. Optimizing for those terms would be useless when trying to get free traffic, though, and it'd be worthless to bid on them anywhere but at OverSure, too!

Also there are searches that come up on WordTracker that never appear in the SuggestionTool. Some of these are probably being condensed by the Tool...but if you wanted to optimize for them, or bid on them at other PPCs, you'd need the uncondensed version of the search report (that OverSure doesn't have).

As for "he pay the bill", I assume that the person originally typed "he pays the bills". But in any case, it only showed up one month, and only 5 searches were made on it. A definite oddball. I guess someone was glad to get somebody else to pay and just had to tell SOMEONE, SOMEHOW! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread