Did you know that if you deposit $50 with Overture to open an account but all of your search terms are declined, which I understand is happening more often, that the $50 is non-refundable? So they can take your money and not deliver the product at their descretion?

ABW Ambassador
    Hershey, You always have time to get your money back as long as you use your Visa! No matter what you get 72 hours to cancel any transaction.

I recently bought a faulty cgi script. I tried to contact the vendor. They refused to answer my emails so I went to my bank and told them i was ripped off.

They have since replaced the money and voide the transaction.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I think that the latest changes made by Oversure -- $50 to open, $20 min. spend, $0.05 min bid, affiliate links bad, directly related content only -- have earned it the #2 rank in the pay-per-click world behind FindWhat.

I am promoting Aiming Point through both Overture and FindWhat. FindWhat approved every last term including Google, AltaVista, Yahoo, etc. (maybe because I'm a big spender?). But Overture rejected everything but general terms like 'search engine', which means that less than half of my terms were accepted. Over the last two full days, here is the breakdown:

OVERTURE
    158 clicks
    $9.66 spent
    $0.0611 per click

FINDWHAT
    612 clicks
    $24.86 spent
    $0.0406 per click

This should tell against any kind of assumption that it is necessary to go with Overture in order to get "High Traffic." Because of the number of terms that Overture is rejecting, you can easily get more traffic with FindWhat than you can with Overture! Not only that, but the traffic at Overture will cost you 50% more -- so you could wind up paying more for less with Overture! Indeed, even if all the terms were accepted, I wonder whether bids for the SAME AMOUNT (e.g. $0.05) would generate more traffic with FindWhat. Because the bids are higher at Overture, chances are good that a bid for the same amount at FindWhat could bring in more traffic.

Because of the way that Overture has snubbed the affiliate marketing community, I have decided against using Overture as my pay-per-click provider for Aiming Point, even if their bids are currently higher. I'd rather go with FindWhat because they have treated me and other affiliates much more nicely.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Because the bids are higher at Overture, chances are good that a bid for the same amount at FindWhat could bring in more traffic.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is *definitely* true.

Elisabeth

Peter, are you bidding on a zillion keywords at FindWhat? I like them, too, but we only get about 10 clicks per day per site from them. I'd like to get more traffic from them and not even bother with Overture. They've gotten too arrogant and

I am bidding on 64 keywords with FindWhat and 12 keywords with Overture for the Aiming Point Meta Search Engine.

With FindWhat, it does help to be in the top two for exposure on Excite. But I still get plenty of traffic with a lot of lowball bids on high traffic terms (like Yahoo, Google, and AltaVista). I do get a percentage of complete dud clicks though (people who click through just to keep looking for Yahoo, for example... perhaps because the person doesn't know how to key in a web site through the address bar).

When I have some more money burning a hole in my pocket, I might try setting up subpages with some text content on Yahoo etc. so that I can bid on these keywords at Overture. But for now, I've got better things to do.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Hi Hershey, welcome to A Best Web!

OverSure--they charge way too much, but when it comes down to it, they seem to think they're DMOZ (hatred of affiliate links, demand for content)...

Unfortunately for them, if they're going to make it as hard to get into Over as it is to get in DMOZ--well, heck...might as well go for DMOZ! DMOZ is free and a listing there will up your Google rank (also free), so where can Over compete on the ground they have placed themselves on?

And if the site won't get into DMOZ, it seems that it won't get into OverSure, either. So that leaves FindWhat, which is not only cheaper but remembers that it's a PAID engine which is supposed to be NICE to their customers (or at least not give them a bunch of hash).

ABW Ambassador
    Leader,
    "OverSure--they charge way too much, but when it comes down to it, they seem to think they're DMOZ (hatred of affiliate links, demand for content)..."

Hmmm... That's what I first thought, but since the changes, I have been able to get in some affiliate links by providing some content.

For a coupon site, you can bid on terms such as "coupon codes", "bargains", etc. , so long as you are not "linking" to those coupon codes,bargains, etc. as an affiliate of for example..CoolSavings.com get it ?

If you have that kind of content, it's a relevant search term, and I just got a few approved .

It does suck that you really can't target specific sales, but I will try one product page which features one particular item , with comparison prices and discount codes for the same item at several online stores, and see if this is enough "content" for them .

If I were a shopper searching for
    "Shrek Video" (for example), I would think that such a page , giving me all the options as to where to buy it, and some coupons and discounts, that would be the most relevant page of all relating to that search term .

Just going to make one, really informative page like this, and see if Overture let's it slide through into the index .

If yes, there will be many more , if not, oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained .

Lisa

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread