hello anyone can help me about inktomi
    i hear someone here succes with inktomi.
    1 month and no traffic at all.
    how increase traffic???
    please explain

thanks

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Rather than print out what I read, here's a link to one of the threads about Inktomi here at ABW.

Even though the "Test URL" only brought Peter a hit a day, the basic principles mentioned are sound for Inktomi. Just target something with more traffic going to it...

ABW Ambassador
    Perfect timing... I just logged in here to write of my experience with Inktomi and found your message... here are my thoughts.

I have seven URLs listed with Inktomi and I've had a WIDE range of success. The good news is, one URL in Inktomi has made my holiday season this year. The bad news is, the other six haven't done much (some bad, some mediocre).

In evaluating the successful versus the less successful, I learned some things about what makes a good inclusion page for Inktomi and what doesn't. I also learned that with about the same search term ranking, I get twice the traffic from MSN as from AOLSearch.

So, let's first look at the MSN basics. MSN has three "categories" of returned results for a search. Those three categories, in the order they appear, are: Featured Sites, Web Directory Pages, and Web Pages. Inktomi results display in Web Pages (the last of the three).

"Featured Sites" is generally 0-3 items. "Web Directory Pages" can be from zero to thousands of pages. "Web Pages" can also be from zero to thousands of pages. It's critical, when listing with Inktomi to check MSN first -- if there are scads of "Web Directory Pages", it is probably not worth a listing. Defining "scads" is up to you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

NOTE: This also explains why Inktomi can report your listing with an average ranking of #1, but you get no results. That ranking is the ranking in the Web Pages section -- if it follows 200 listings in the Web Directory section, that #1 ranking won't mean squat (although, I have been surprised by the stray clicks that have come in from as low as the 111th spot -- but those strays do not a profit make).

In general, as with most SE work, the more targeted your listing the better. With competitive products don't shoot for "sony DVD player", shoot for "sony proworks 67e" (I made that up).

And, IMO,the most critical info for inktomi? Make a test url (although I wouldn't call it "test" -- the full URL does display) for testing if various products are worthwhile for inclusion. Inktomi updates (approximately) every 48 hours and your entire listing is based on what's on that page (you don't provide a description). Test a product for whatever time period you're comfortable with. If the product is a success, duplicate that page and submit the duplication to Inktomi. Now test another product on your test URL. This way, you don't gamble $25 every time you think you have a winner.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: Cedric ]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I actually have quite a few Inktomi listings myself, too, but I put that link in my other post rather than go into the specifics of getting a decent rank there.

Performance is mixed, but it's easy to switch to a different URL. Optimizing for Inktomi is pretty easy, too. Links don't count at Inktomi...

ABW Ambassador
    Cedric, THANK YOU for that post. Your suggestion about the test page is a wonderful tip!

Elisabeth Archambault

ABW Ambassador
    You're most welcome. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If only I'd thought of the test URL about 3 urls ago... lol...

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread