I am trying to think of a way that advertisers would like to advertise on my search engine.

I want it to be something differnt than bid for listing.

Does anyone have any ideas? How would you like to advertise your site?

Thanks
    :P

Heyder had a good idea, ask him [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

How about make every "bid" 5 cents and give top listing position to the person with the most listings on the site? It would encourage a lot of bidding.

Who is Heyder and what was his idea?

I am a little lost on the making all bids $.05.

Thanks

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

Oh I get it! All bids are the same amount but the site with the most bids/listings gets to be top position. In other words, you have 1000 listings costing five cents each so you are # 1 vs. a person with only 900 listings being # 2 and 800 would be #3 in this example.

All actual bidded amounts would be exactly 5 cents but the idea is that people would make tons of listings which would effectively drive more results to bidders and make more money for the ppc search engine.

That is a realy cool idea!

My Idea wasn't that good but it was to work more on the affiliate end of the ppc search engine by setting it up as more of a traffic trade than a paid results engine.

The problem I ran into was "Getting the point accross effectively" So I basically stopped the project and went the traditional route. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

PS I am Heyder (pronounced: Hey Daire Slang for "Hello There" a common greeting especially if you don't know ones name.) aka Mike or whatever else my wife is calling me depending on her mood. :eek:

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Heyder ]

Hi Joe and Mike, and every other search engine reading this. (idea generator on)

Are you, as a search engine, giving presents this holiday season? Imagine giving x number of clicks or credit to every webmaster in the world who claims their present by December 25, (or whenever).

You could make a big deal out of it, press release: "Searchany.com gives North America credit." Or, "North America to get credit from Searchany.com" Or, "Searchany to help ECC webmasters with free credit."

What would it cost you to give away $10, $20 or $30 in credit to first time advertisers just for opening an account? It would increase traffic, gets them in the door and signed up, give them a taste of your service.

Or pay websites $50 (in credit) to put your search box on their sites. And $10 to $100 a month to keep them there (more credit).

This monthly offer could be a private thing dependant on the traffic they produce, per click or flat fee.

Ray

Sounds like a good idea Ray.

The only problem is that I dont think I could set everything up before the holidays are over.

But just offering credit as a free gift might work.

I have an other idea for a metasearch that could make lots of money but the top spots would go to the most helpful sites to the query instead of the high bidder. I dont want to elaberate on it to much cause someone could stell my idea :rolleyes:

anyone else have any good ideas?

thanks
    [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I just thought of another good idea. For a non-pay search engine, you could have people sign up to list their site in the #1 position for any keyword or keyphrase. The only catch is that the person has to maintain a top 20 list for all the other sites under that keyword or keyphrase, ordered by relevance and importance. It might result in some top quality hand-picked search results from people who know the field well if it works out. There would have to be a mechanism for users to vote on the search results so that people who are spamming with more of their own sites or unfairly hurting competition would be ousted.

Peter has a brilliant idea - all bids are the same, the rankings go to the people with the most lisitngs in order.

There is only one problem with it. You can make up keywords and keyword phrases which are used just to pad your listings.

Now, if you take the idea of all bids are the same, say 5 cents and charge a monthly listing fee of say $30 and then have only say 15 rotating listing slots on each keyword page then each listing would rotate
    per visitor from slot one to slot fifteen as people visited the keyword page. As a result, every listing would be in slot one per every 16th visitor.

Or you could do it like this - you get a listing and have say 10 listing slots per key word - $.15 for listing one, $.14 for listing 2 down to say 5 cents for listing 10. Then you get your choice of slots and the ad rotates with every visitor. If 100 people want slot 10 then they get viewed 1 in 100. If 10 want slot 1 they get viewed 1 in 10.

This way everyone gets the same chances of having their site seen. It would be 1 in whatever number of listings are bought per slot.

Or you could do it like this: All bids are the same: 5 cents. There are 10 page slots per keyword. You pay a monthly listing fee
    based on which slot you want to occupy. And there are a set amount of listings per slot say 10 or 20 or 50. All the listings are rotated with each visitor.

Interesting...how many ways can you out do Bend Over and make a profit? let me count the ways.

About padding listings, I would think this wouldn't have to be the case because they could be approved by the search engine staff as relevant or not.

This is a process that needs to be done with any search engine so it's not a real big deal.

In addition to making a relevancy check, advertisers should be limited to bidding on terms that have been actually entered into the search engine once before and/or come up with the Overture tool (the latter because the fledgling search engine won't have big search logs).

I have another Idea to throw into the mix.

I don't know exactly how to do it and it's not exactly what you were looking for regarding ideas but I thought I would get some thoughts on it.

I thought it might be a good idea to set up something like www.searchfeed.com but instead of just pulling their listings set up a deal where various sites would share inventory.

Each SE would be able to sell listings for the whole collective.

Therefore each site would have the entire run of the network to sell their inventory to.

The only thing I can't work out is the accounting mess.

If it worked you could call it "The Borg"

One more idea if you just want to sell advertising space and not just search listings would be to make a database of advertisers all set up with your html etc. etc. and have that info called by keywords.

You could set up one third page ads that only come up under certain keywords.

Okay well maybe that isn't anything new but it could work. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Heyder ]

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread