Hi all! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I have been enjoying reading through these posts and looking at information on building site traffic.

The things I've read about keywords raises some questions in my mind. I think I may have been using some wrong stategies.
    Is someone willing to answer any of these quetions for me, please? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

1. Do you have to have the exact phrase someone searches for in your keywords to show up in the results? Because I have a lot of general one word keywords. Maybe I should focus on specific phrases rather than individual words?

2. Is it true you can only have the same keyword listed 5 times?

3. I have basically the same keywords on every page. Are you supposed to do different words that directly relate to that page versus the whole site? I'm guessing yes... but this idea just hit me as I was reading here and learning. (Yes, this is all very new to me) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

We would really appreciate any hints and help regarding these questions. Thanks for taking the time to help! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Anna and Paula [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] www.LesbianSexToys.com

We edited out the words that might be offensive to some readers. Thanks for the advice Cedric.

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: PaulaSmiles ]

Note that meta tags aren't that important. Google doesn't even read them, and the search engines that read them only use them to supplement the web page body. The only important meta tag is the description, which should present an attractive and clickable copy for the search engines that display the description meta tag next to a web site. The most important place to put your most important keyphrase is at the beginning of your title tag. After that, it is important to sprinkle keywords throughout the page body in the headers and in the top of the page. Try going after your most important keyphrase on your main page and after less important keyphrases on sub pages. And, yes, it does make a big difference to have the exact phrase in the correct word order, especially in an area which I imagine is quite competitive!

ABW Ambassador
    Ya know... I'm guessing we're mostly adults here, but even still... I'm all in favor of a little discretion when it comes to discussing sexual matters -- even keywords.

Do you reckon we should use code words for things then? That might be fun.

f

ABW Ambassador
    lol... I think we already do use code words, francis. widget widget widget...

Based on my experience.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>1. Do you have to have the exact phrase someone searches for in your keywords to show up in the results? Because I have a lot of general one word keywords. Maybe I should focus on specific phrases rather than individual words?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's better if you do, but it depends on the search engine you're dealing with. Google will parse the page. I've always had difficulty having good placement with one-word keywords. From what I've read, 'most' searchers don't use single word queries, and two- and three-word combination queries are fairly frequent, so I tend to lean towards multiple keywords.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2. Is it true you can only have the same keyword listed 5 times?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, depends on the search engine, but I wouldn't repeat a keyword more than that... some engines will penalize you for having too many similar keywords.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>3. I have basically the same keywords on every page. Are you supposed to do different words that directly relate to that page versus the whole site? I'm guessing yes... but this idea just hit me as I was reading here and learning. (Yes, this is all very new to me)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fewer the keywords you have, the fewer the opportunities you have for someone finding your page. You're also competing with other sites also.

I agree with 'most' of what Peter Kirby has written already, but from my experience, the tags are not the only thing you have to keep in mind. We tend to use head for a short keyword-loaded description, and the description tag for more information. This has gotten us fairly decent placement in a number of the search engines.

CodeJockey.

Hi Anna and Paula,

I think you have some good answers above.
    Just like to add a little here.

If you haven't already, you might want to make a list of the top 10 keyword phrases you would like to rank high in the search engines.

Now, you are going to probably want to key on your #1 and maybe #2 phrase on your home page. Your main page will typically have the highest "page rank" in google and is given alot of weight in other search engines as well. You want to make sure you get #1 keyword phrase in on this page and in the title of this page. I would also make it the first in your meta tags as well.

On your other pages, target one or two keyword phrase on each of these as well. Make sure your "main" keyword phrase for each other page is included in the title and first in your meta tags.

When search engines like google find the exact phrase in your title and on your page, then it likes the "relevancy" of the match and that will help you rank higher. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread