zero link make our site low traffic!
    someone tell that cross link in site ( same site) make penalized but i try analyze.
    try this site "www.dealofday.com" they have huge incoming cross link but get best pagerank. confuse!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

anyone get me advice for next google? or analyze problem

ABW Ambassador
    call google headquarters. ask for larry page. cuss him out.

ABW Ambassador
    I'd wait for the next index.

On this one they clearly made a mistake and are most likely pulling their collective hair out trying to figure out what went wrong.

For the record I took all of my cross-links down on my biggest site, and I will eventually get to my smaller sites. Unfortunately, (more than likely) any changes that you make at this point won’t be reflected until the new March index comes out in late February

As to the cross-link theory, it is only a theory at this point, but I believe the reason that some people that cross-link are still in is that not only does google look for the circular linking pattern, but they also look at the overall size of your circle. For example if you have two sites and they are both cross-linked that is a small circle, but if you have 30 sites and they are all cross-linked then you have a big circle. Regardless if you buy this theory or not, I would encourage you to try something because of the long lead-time involved. When one of my sites was de-ranked in the December index, I just assumed it was a glitch and did nothing to the site. Now it is not ranked in January index. How long should I wait? The only way your site will be back in without making changes to it would require that google adjusts their algorithm. I think they are tuning their algorithm with each new index. Once the new index is up they look to see which sites were ranked high and which were low. Depending on what type of changes they were looking for they go back tune the algorithm for the next index accordingly. I am telling you it was no mistake or at least that is not how they see it.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: malibber ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>pulling their collective hair out trying to figure out what went wrong.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We used to say that the more complex the code, the easier it was to FU the result.

We're just gonna sit on the fence for the next index and wait and see... I'm not sure whether or not a knee-jerk reaction is really needed on our part.

CodeJockey.

PRAY!

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with Code Jockey I am just gonna wait and see. I have a theory why this is happening and I want to hang around and see what happens.

In the meantime, I will continue to diversify where my traffic comes from. I get the bulk of my traffic from PPC and have been adding to the number of engines that I use for PPC. However, the thought of free traffic is appealing but I refuse to jump through a bunch of hoops trying to figure out what they want this month. I have begun working on making my pages good for all engines,not just Google and will concentrate on gaining traffic through the other engines. If Google wants to list me, great, but if not I will get the traffic somewhere else. I refuse to live and die by one search engine or affiliate network

Happy New Year,

Mike

I agree wholeheartedly with Dr. Evil.

My site that Google dropped to 0 rank
    (in November) HAD been indexed by google
    since early 1999.

I never really received Enormous traffic
    from google because I don't optimize my
    pages for specific search engines. Yet
    google would send me traffic on unusual
    key words. Now because of something???
    I have done (or possibly a competitor) I'm
    treated like Nothing. It's ridiculous.

I will continue to link my pages within
    my site -- How can my visitors navigate
    without linking? I will also link to
    my other sites. Many of my visitors
    find my other sites this way.

And, I'll continue to use pay per click se's
    and work on optimizing my pages For Other
    Search Engines -- Google can take a
    flying leap!

What they are doing reminds me of what
    Alta Vista did about 18 months ago --
    dropping established websites They (or their
    algo's) perceived as having little value.
    We all see what has happened to Alta Vista
    don't we? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Anne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by javaGUY:
    advice for next google?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think about what the THEME of you site is and then add more content related to that theme. Get more descriptive!!

Sample sentence:

This is great for your reports.

rewrite:

This is weather analysis software is great for generating up to date weather reports.

I know, lame sentence, but you get the idea.

In thinking about the THEME of your site, try to link to other sites with same theme. A mom's site should be linked with other mom sites, etc...

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Vicki ]

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Vicki ]

google grew to what it is now because of word of mouth so do tell all your friends, relations, visitors, newsletter about wisenut.com

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: austin powers ]

I still think it is something in the link algo. I ran across a lot of non-commercial sites (it was all content) that were de-ranked as well. They had a lot of reciprocal links though. I agree I am really torn because I believe the cross-linking and the top site I participate in are hurting me. However, the sites I cross-link all have a similar theme and the cross-linking also generates a lot of traffic to my smaller sites. I am not much of a SEO if I put buy.com coupons on a page then that is what I put in the title tag.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: malibber ]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>google grew to what it is now because of word of mouth so do tell all your friends, relations, visitors, newsletter about wisenut.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree!! This is a gem of an engine. I have been using it lately as I am now boycotting Google. (giggle)

As for what I'm doing for next update...I have changed some of my crosslinking, but not much other than that - I agree with Dr.Evil and gettnthar.

Using more PPC and optimizing for all engines - not just the beloved google

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I agree with Dr. Evil, especially these parts:

"the thought of free traffic is appealing but I refuse to jump through a bunch of hoops trying to figure out what they want this month."

and

"If Google wants to list me, great, but if not I will get the traffic somewhere else."

If I was willing to jump through hoops I would still be doing the employment bit!!!

I wonder how well money talks. I suggest and may try myself to contact them regarding advertising. Throw some money on the table and say wait a minute why isn't my site currently indexed? I guess AOL could make better use of my money.

Heyder,

I'll back u on that!

--------

Wisenut ..... I remember when CJ posted that on CJU! .... what about SearchAny why don't we all back http://www.searchany.com with links and $ .... I'm in ... who else?

Haiko

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>anyone get me advice for next google? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bend over, Grab Your Ankles, and smile. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    >>anyone get me advice for next google?

FWIW.

I had a brand new site indexed by google this crawl.
    It has absolutely no incoming links from any source and is only 54 pages in total size (so far).

This new site has a PR of 4

i know now, i know what to do! we have to save google from themselves

go to http://www.google.com and do a search for "free sms" (without the quotes)

see those results? see how much they suck? those are just about the suckiest result any search engine could vomit up

try one of your own usual searches, what do you think of the results?

ok, this is what we have to do, email google

email them not as a webmaster but as a surfer, tell them what you think of what they are throwing up, tell them that you cant find your favorite websites anymore and you wish they would put things back the way they where 2 months ago because frankly google is making altavista look like a superior search engine

Another interesting site. Seems you can spam within url's as nuch as you like if you put 'img src=' in front of it.

I

I have to agree strongly with the consensus for retaining your crosslinks. As it was said, it supplies a navigation scheme for a site's visitors. A very useful one at that!

I know that I do not want my site's visitors to return the the main page time and time again just to navigate my site. I do not include all links on each page, but links that lead to similar content.

Even if you have 3,4, or 10 sites and share links among them, I would say it is not only your right as a webmaster, but in many cases, a responsibility.

Even if you had a site that sold garage door openers, and you also had a photography site, what would be the crime in adding the link and suggesting a visit?

I know from my own surfing experience that I find some of the most interseting sites this way. If GOOGLE has put that much emphasis on linking, so much so that it comes down to penalizing any site that has any number of internal links (or whatever!) then I would say GOOGLE needs to reconsider a great deal!

In a way, it is as if GOOGLE wants to monopolize surfing! At least among those site owners that wish to be good little GOOGLETTES..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

After all... it IS about the content! Isn't it? O must we seek out the great and powerful GOOGLE each time we wish to find a new site?
    :cool:

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: bigbaer ]

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: bigbaer ]

ABW Ambassador
    I think working with Searchany is a good idea and would love to help a fellow member but I do have a question. If this is a new engine, how much traffic does Searchany generate? Will we be able to get a decent amount of clicks? I know, a dumb newbie question again, but just by our joining searchany will not make it a popular search. So, I guess what I am saying is why should we invest in that engine compared to 7 search or findwhat. Am I making any sense?
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Advice?
    Hmmm.......

Made a logo with says:
    "Optimized for Google"
    or
    "Best viewed with Google"
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Real Advice:
    - Create a web page that sells, put in some keywords, do link swap with others, submit it to search engine, ODP, Google, etc., do all kind of advertising (online and offline), tell as many people as you can (friends, family, people you see in the mall, etc.), and finally......
    forget about it and pray ... "that someday, somewhere, people will come to you and say:
    I'm on your candid website"

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread