Hello One and all,

Well if you visit my site and have the Google toolbar you will find the following results:

Page Ranking
    1. http://www.gph.org.uk = 2

2. http://gph.org.uk = 4

Now I am not going too complain about this as I always use gph.org.uk.

I wonder how many others will see a differance with their page ranking if they check without the www.

regards John

I just looked around a bit and that seems to be the norm. My one site that has a PR high enough to be lowered is. With WWW it's 4, without its 2. msnbc.com is 7, while www.msnbc.com is 9.

Something I noticed while trying to look around was that it's not possible, for me anyway, to see google.com, yahoo.com, msn.com. They all automatically go to www.whatever.com, even if you go in and delete the www. it will be put back as soon as you hit enter. Anyone know how to do this, since it's seems to help a bit with google? If it's easy, I would like to do it for my sites. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Brian

edit: just noticed that it penalized you for the www address. That's weird. It seems to be the other way around for .com's.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: madmanbc ]

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >They all automatically go to
    >www.whatever.com, even if you go in
    >and delete the www. it will be put back
    >as soon as you hit enter. Anyone know
    >how to do this, since it's seems to help
    >a bit with google? If it's easy, I would like
    >to do it for my sites.

1. Wildcard your DNS

2. Set up 2 host containers in Apache.

a. www.whatever.tld - normal system

b. *.whatever.tld & whatever.tld - redirects /(.*) to http://www.whatever.tld/$1

Notes:

1. the container mentioned in (a.) MUST BE below the container mentioned in (b.) or your server will hang,

2. mod_redirect is your friend.

3. If you're using IIS, then run away, you silly little boy.

Hello everyone! Regarding GOOGLE and the discussions over PR and links. The following is an URL of a site that is no more than a collection of affiliate links and yet it has a PR of 7 !!!While real content sites have been dumped or nulled out...

google PR links example

I am not making a judgement on the webmaster's desire to promote links. That is his or her right and should be respected. What I am pointing out is an example that appears to go against all the theories on the GOOGLE wipe out so many of us have been through. I have actually seen a number of similar sites, so more and more it looks like GOOGLEBOT, GOOGLEBIT!

Hi YA BigBaer,

In my instance, I have found that any site associated with the google/Yahoo network has a 2 - 3 point rating higher than non associated domains/sites.

I have 2 sets of identical sites, 2 abandoned at geocities (these were test sites) and they are rating 3 higher than my TLD sites.. go figure?

What ever the case - be it right or be it WRONG - what ever google rates a site at, is what google want to rate a site at...

2 sites I found that score a perfect 10 - www.google.com and www.yahoo.com, (there are probably many, many more). dmoz.com comes close with a 9, but seeing google rips off a lot of the dmoz database you would think that google would be kind enuf to give dmoz a 10 as well..

One other thing I have been pondering during my past quiet week or so - what is going to happen to all these merchants who were sitting on the shall we 'close or continue with cj' fence. With the goggle confusion of late, it has to affect merchant sales to some measurable degree.

Maybe it will maybe it won't, but only time will tell. One thing, and yes maybe I am getting a little affiliate-paranoia in my golden years, I am just bracing myself for a tidal wave of deactivations in Feb.... ~shudder~

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread