Hi Folks,

Well my site is now on four search enginer sites the main ones being Yahoo and Google but how do I get the site onto AOL without having to pay someone a stupid amount of money which would be better used in buying a decent book on html (or a few beers).

Any CONSTRUCTIVE (I now know what you lot are like) advice would be appreicated.

regards John

Open Directory Project

Depends on what kind of site you are submitting
    and what kind of editor is reviewing the category.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Rik ]

Hi, John!

We're pretty new to all this... but I'll tell you what I've learned about getting a listing on AOL.

AOL gets its primary search results from the Open Directory - dmoz.org

It gets its secondary results from Inktomi

It also lists the top three bids for that search term from Goto.com

Once your site is listed in AOL search, its ranking improves according to how many AOL users visit your site.

Our site FloridaLesbians.com started out at #7 for the term "florida lesbians". It's now at #1 on AOL search.

The key is getting into DMOZ. I've learned from this message board that it is hard to get in if you have a lot of affiliate links versus content.

Hope this helps! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hi Paula and Rik
    Thanks for the messages. Well its a funny thing but if I do a site search on Google for Glasgow Private Hire i see that my site is listed at DMOZ.ORG. But when I search DMOZ i cant find it. But if you follow the link from Google to the catogory within DMOZ I can find the site.....very strange.

I have sent a message to DMOZ to ask them to look at this as it would be nice to get some listings on other major search engines.

Will let you know how I get on

regards John

ABW Ambassador
    >But when I search DMOZ i cant find it.

Don't worry about it.
    The DMOZ search function is not expected to be used by the public.
    And the public DOESN'T search there.

AOL will spider sites found at dmoz and make up its own mind.

Agreed, I get only a tiny bit of traffic from DMOZ itself. The search function is a bit wobbly on DMOZ, but don't worry about it.

Don't forget that it takes a while for the other directories to take an update from the ODP data - it's an import of 3 million sites so I guess it's not trivial.

ABW Ambassador
    They say... When you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself !

Personally, I tried to get into DMOZ several times unsuccessfully.

So what to do... what to do next...

I found a category in DMOZ that needed a volunteer editor . It was hard to find, but I found a lowly, unpopular category that needed an editor ,and applied to be an editor due to my expertise .(cough, cough) I was approved , and I added a few sites, moved some sites around, etc.

The next time I did my "volunteer" work, I added my own site .

Another volunteer editor moved it for me . How nice of that person , to help out a new editor and place the site that was apparantly in the wrong place to it's appropriate category.

That was last year, not really sure how things work now, I have abondoned my post as a DMOZ editor. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Lisa

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Lisa ]

That's the thing about dmoz, you have to cross your fingers and hope the editor of the category is actually doing their job properly. If you can't get into one category and you are sure that your site should be in dmoz then you have to look around and find a cat with a decent editor. It's like finding hidden treasure.

Hi
    Well some good ideas from the group. I think that I might become an editor as they dont have a group for taxis so that might be a good idea.

Thanks one and all.

Inktomi gets you straight into AOL. Use the position tech or other paid inclusion services (about 20 dollars Well spent) and spam the hell out of a page full of keywords.

Aol is still from the old school so it's nothing like google. They still read metas and keyword density. I think they are factoring in link popularity some but not very much yet.

Just some FYI for anyone looking for traffic (most of us already know this). Go to goto (LOL) and find some high traffic keywords that aren't bought up and then focus a page based on those keywords and you can (most times) get tons of free traffic from all of the inktomi pushers including goto and aol.

ABW Ambassador
    >and find some high traffic keywords that aren't bought up

A note of caution.
    They may not be "bought up" because they do not convert.

SEX is an example at 14 cents today.

Heyder,

Could you explain what you mean by "not bought up" and how I can figure that?

If the number one spot for a keyword is going for 5 cents, how do I figure if the keyword is bought up or not?

Ray

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread