hello everybody

ive been reading and researching a lot of google theories and from what i see so far theyre all wrong

now that a bit more time has passed i wanted to post some observations i have made

google seems to siply be getting it wrong, it just seems to be screwy, during the last few searches that i have performed google seems to be struggling to find a page in english

also it seems to be sending people to the wrong keywords

for example in my site navigation the "fish" link should lead to fish.html and "burger" should lead to burger.html like so

<U>home</U> --> index.html
    <U>fish</U> --> fish.html
    <U>burger</U> --> burger.html
    <U>soup</U> --> soup.html

but google seems to have them out of sequence
    so when someone types in "fish" they are sent to burger.html

its as though google is reading my navigation like this

<U>home</U> --> index.html
    <U>fish</U> --> burger.html
    <U>burger</U> --> soup.html
    <U>soup</U> --> ????

any comments?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Well, I do have it pull up the wrong page for my site sometimes. Usually it's pulling the other term out of the nav. somewhere. Like if you have a link on your Fish page that says Soup, it may come up under Soup instead of Fish!

But sometimes it'll pick one word out of the text and seemingly assign way too much importance to it, even if your title, headline, text, and incoming links all say a different word! If there's a well-known name, especially, on the page, Google seems to see that in font size 7, and not much else.

So the phenomenon isn't entirely new...but it may be happening more lately. This index most of my pages are where they belong, but I've also seen complete spaghetti!

Get hold of an optimizer program and read up on search engine optimization.
    Too much emphasis is placed on cross linking to boost google rankings and not enough on page level optimization.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "Too much emphasis is placed on cross linking to boost google rankings and not enough on page level optimization.~Spiderman"

I SAID THAT OVER AND OVER AGAIN AT CJU!!!

And in my other post in this thread I again mentioned the Title, Headline, and Page Text along with mentioning links. IMO, the title, headline, and page text are the most important factors.

I actually credit page-level optimization for most of my good rankings. Adding some links into the mix didn't hurt, but without that page-level optimization, I doubt I would have gotten the listings I wanted.

The page of mine where Google consistantly pulls up the wrong thing was written before I knew anything about optimization so I should be glad it's seen at all... One of these days I'll have to change it so it sends the Googlebot a clear message!

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread