ABW Ambassador
    I can't believe this mess - $299 a year. WTF is wrong with those greedy money hungry mungles. As though they are not already rich enough. That is just ridiculous. I just submitted another site and found this mess out. I am pissed. That's probably why they waited damn near 10 days after the 28th to approve my other site I just submitted right before X-mas. They think they are slick. But what are you gonna do. Yahoo knows they are king that's why they pull this BS. I can't wait till a better search engine comes along and blows them out the water. Think it'll ever happen. :rolleyes:

Oddly, Dmoz started out as "NewHoo" because people were getting sick of Yahoo! taking months and months to add their sites to it's directory.

How ironic it is that google now loves dmoz...and google powers the search results for Yahoo!

It's like incest. :eek:

Having to pay $299 every year is really, really crap. But the worst thing is Yahoo! doing this in a very stealth-like way.

I have many listings in Yahoo!, but the way their new search results are I would never pay the $299 as it's just not worth it yearly.

Just to add some info. I requested a change of description on the 22 of dec and on the 4th of jan my description had changed, then on the 5th I recieved an email from yahoo that I would be billed 299 per year from here on out.
    I'm trying to figure out if by having them change my description just cost me 299 a year or has anybody else recieved this email.

The site has been listed with yahoo for the last year and a half. :rolleyes: :confused:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by runrun:
    Just to add some info. I requested a change of description on the 22 of dec and on the 4th of jan my description had changed, then on the 5th I recieved an email from yahoo that I would be billed 299 per year from here on out.
    I'm trying to figure out if by having them change my description just cost me 299 a year or has anybody else recieved this email.

The site has been listed with yahoo for the last year and a half. :rolleyes: :confused:
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you happen to request changes through Yahoo Express? I found the following under their new reoccuring fee policy...

"2.6 Please note that Yahoo! Express is only open to sites that DO NOT ALREADY EXIST in the Directory. Do not submit your site to Yahoo! Express program if your site already appears in the Directory. IF YOU SUBMIT A SITE THAT ALREADY EXISTS IN THE DIRECTORY THROUGH YAHOO! EXPRESS, YOUR CREDIT CARD WILL BE CHARGED THE THEN-CURRENT, APPLICABLE INITIAL CONSIDERATION FEE. Nor should you submit change requests to the Yahoo! Express program. If you need to make a change to your listing in the Directory (this includes changing the URL, title, and/or description of the existing site), you must use the change form NOT Yahoo! Express. IF YOU SUBMIT CHANGE REQUESTS THROUGH YAHOO! EXPRESS YOU WILL BE CHARGED THE THEN-CURRENT, APPLICABLE INITIAL CONSIDERATION FEE, AND THE CHANGES YOU SUBMIT WILL NOT BE MADE"

I think that yahoo might lose a good bit of business doing this as opposed to getting more money in their pockets.

For example, i was going to fork out the money to submit to yahoo although it would be quite a lot for me but there's not a chance that i'll even be considering paying for submission now. I'm sure a lot of sites will also pull their sites out of yahoo since this new fee will be introduced.

Does this apply only to sites which submit now, or those already in the yahoo d/base now? And what about those who submit via the free submission service, i take it they will not get charged, only the commercial sites?

The yearly fee only applies to sites submitted after December 28th, 2001.

As for the free submission service... it isn't coming up under Add a Site in any of the categories I check. If it's still available, it's harder to find.

Without free submission, Yahoo would become much more commercial in its search results. Perhaps it would even lose popularity with people searching for information.

We are not happy about the new fee.... However, we may still submit a site or two to see what results we get. We don't have any sites listed in Yahoo yet.

Do any of you with some sites in Yahoo think the payoff is worth $299 a year? ($600 for sites with adult material - like our sex toy site)

ABW Ambassador
    The free submit still exists for many non-commercial categories -- about as non-comercial as you can get, see Love Poetry -- at the bottom of the page is the phrase "Suggest A Site" (where you can submit for free).

It's been a long long time since I've seen that phrase in a commercial category.

I doubt this will hurt Yahoo! very much... it stinks, but many people cannot (or feel they cannot) live without the Yahoo! traffic.

Me, I'll just keep pluggin' along hopin' not to get gigged by google.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I can't believe this mess - $299 a year. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder how many others will follow Yahoo's example.

Sorry I guess I should have cleared that up. I used the request a change form and not the express form. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread