Just got off the phone with Overture concerning the deleting of keywords, the new guidelines etc.

Spent a half and hour talking to braindead morons.

If you are a Overture shareholder here's the answer to the question:

These new guidelines are costing the company
    millions of dollars in revenue. Don't you think it's pretty stupid to do this?

Answer: We know it's costing us money. But we want the end user to have a positive experience and if we don't have these guidelines we won't be able to maintain our
    relationships with Yahoo, Excite, etc.

Why do you need them? They need you. They're the ones losing their ass? You guys have the
    only revenue model that even comes close to making money on a good scale. Why are you sacrificing your shareholders and customers for some guaranteed losers who are bleeding money?

Answer: We want our end users to have a positive experience. They need to find relevant listings so they are happy.

Why do you care if they are happy or not? They are not your customers. The advertisers and bidders are your customers. They put the money in the til? People who search Overture search because they know they can find what they are looking for, not because they want to be happy.

Answer, if we don't provide those who search with relevance they won't search here and YAHOO won't send us traffic.

And where are they going to go search? Free search engines where you have to scroll thru
    a zillion listings that are not irrelevant out of date, bad links etc?

Yahoo has pretty much proven, if it's free you pretty much get what you pay for.

Answer: But they get alot of traffic.

Yes, but 50% of that comes from the chat and personals and the like, not the searching.

People use Google to search for stuff now , not Yahoo or the rest unless that's the link they have or are used to using it.

As a shareholder, I don't think you want to be owning shares in a company run by idiots who let what some competitor wants dictate how they operate.

This whole idea reeks of Bill Gross and Idealabs. Only that fool who lost over $1 billion in dot.bombs would come up with something as stupid as these new guidlines.

We have done focus groups and have lots of feed back that these new guidlines are proper
    even if we know it costs us money in the short term.

Proper for who - your shareholders and customers or for YAHOO.

Another ???. Aren't you guys setting yourselves up to get the shaft from the competitors like GoClick.

Answer: They don't have enough traffic for us to worry about?

But, if because of your stupid guidelines, they get the money you are too stupid to accept, and those disguntled bidders go there, then goClick will have more money to pay affiliates to send them traffic and they will get more traffic and you will be screwed even more.

Answer: Duh.

We have to maintain these guidelines and I'm sorry you are not happy about it.

Well, so am I. Because you just gave me a big
    incentive to file a shareholder lawsuit and publicize your shafting us shareholders.

And I just may, give it a go and go raise some money and turn you into a dot.bomb.

It ain't rocket science to do what you are doing and I can easily take away a good chunk of your traffic. At least enough to make a profit and make your life harder.

Maybe you guys should go re-think what you are doing. See ya.

I am more concerned about finding advertising.com listings in bendoverture. This seems a bit unfair and perhaps illegal to me. That is the advertising.com listings don’t carry the links or Affiliate designation in their listings. My guess is that they also aren’t getting their listings deleted. If the policy is that advertising.com and other like entities aren’t subject to the same rules as affiliates that is just plain wrong.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>... aren’t subject to the same rules as affiliates that is just plain wrong.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the biggest problems with Overture is that the "rules" -- whatever they are -- are applied with such ghastly inconsistency and with so many contradictions.

At one point last winter, I was gladly spending over two grand a month at GoTo. These days, I spend maybe fifty bucks a month at Overture, all from grandfathered bids. They simply are not a serious tool in my promotional toolbox anymore.

Elisabeth Archambault

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>This whole idea reeks of Bill Gross and Idealabs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Wow, that was weird. That exact thought ran through my mind EXACTLY one second before my eyes got to read it. It's oddly reminiscent of the email we all got from Cj last June 1st isn't it!?

Another very astonishing fact is this. Just now, upon looking in my tray there are 2 other windows other that abw. One is FrontPage, the other is GoClick.

Pretty deep huh?

Breeze,

Yep...where Bill Gross goes shit is bound to happen.

I guess his purpose in life is to come up with good business ideas, then sabotage them
    when they almost look like they will work.

Go check out my post about our own PPC engine...what do you think of the concept.

At first I bought into the "it's to improve our search results" theory - now I think Yahoo! told them no deal if Overture didn't get rid of competitive ads in the top Overture listings (you, know, the ones that show up on Yahoo's own ad-laden pages).

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    They sound like the idiots who used to say that "Content", and its sister, "Traffic" were kings. Obviously It'sOver-sure still believes it. Try telling one of those people that Content and Traffic are kings of the dotBOMBS, and that Revenue is the only king of business--you'll have an easier time of punching a hole in the Hoover Dam with your FIST!

Either they will find out that REVENUE is the King of all business--or they will have the fact beaten into them either with lawsuits or the bankruptcy court. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Over went out of business and never, ever, understood why even as the ledgers bear the record of the reason.

ABW Ambassador
    I think it is a good move on Overture's part, but only short term.

People will go there expecting the great listings we provided all these years. But now they keep clicking listing$ trying in vain to find those great pages.

So Overture gets more click thrus at first. But in the end, the vivtor frustration and advertiser drop in ROI catches up to them.

Did they really say they had to do this to satisfy Excite.com and Yahoo? HA, Excite got bought in a going-out-of-business sale, and Yahoo is struggling big time.

>Yep...where Bill Gross goes shit is bound to happen.

I expect he's well paid by whoever he really works for.

Hey call me paranoid.

>Go check out my post about our own PPC engine...what do you think of the concept.

Fine so long as theres an unincentivized option. But I didn't see that post yet.

I

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread