Two months ago I uploaded a new website to an already active domain. Only the content has changed. I've had a look at the site logs and the Google crawler has visited, but I've dropped out of Google. Using the site's name (western canada travel), or even ALL the site's keywords still show no results. It was always the top result using the three main keywords and near the top with the all important (for me) "canada" "travel." My site has also dropped completely from the Google-based section of the Yahoo search.

Has anyone got any ideas how to rectify this? Maybe it's something somewhere in the new version of my site:

Western Canada Travel

Thanks in advance.

many of us have recently lost our rankings in google since they introduced this new algo but sadly your site has not simply lost rankings but sadly appears to have been banned by google, i did a google search for your domain and there is absolutely no info
    http://www.google.com/search?q=www.w...=Google+Search

what did you do to get those good rankings you had? be honest, this could help many of us

my advice: scrap this domain and start again

ABW Ambassador
    It seems as if the same thing happened to you as to countless other sites -- The Big Zero. For some reason, Google is reporting that some sites have zero inbound links, even if they have lots. It's as if some of the data simply disappeared from Google's calculations, and many sites have lost rank even for their own name. Something definitely happened that is different from the normal ups and downs of index updates. Many theories abound as to what happened, but the one that makes most sense is that there was some sort of glitch at Google's end this month.

We're all hoping Google will get this straightened out in the next update, but in the meantime make sure you're promoting your pages in lots of other places as well, and doing everything you can think of to polish your pages and make them spider-friendly.

Regards from Manitoba,

Elisabeth Archambault

As far as I'm aware no other web site contains the same three words in its URL as my site, and therefore, the high ranking when those words are used. I realize it's more complicated than that, but that doesn't explain it dropping out completely.

Surely if sites were being "banned" or Google changed the rules, they would have broadcast the new rules to the world?

I followed Google guidelines, read a bunch of Page Rank stuff, such as this article and heard complaints about sites being banned.

But my site is just a regular site filled with content and lots of links in and out that was ranked highly by Google.

Western Canada Travel

Andrew

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'd have to go with Austin, since absolutely nothing comes up for that domain name, unlike the PageRank=0 which hit so many. With PageRank=0, there are still results for the domain name (even if the actual site is buried at the last listing), but in this case there's none. So it does appear to be a ban...

what sites where linking to you?

be honest

You say you uploaded a "new website", so I assume you mean the new content is completely different than the previous site content. Google may have done a comparison between old and new content when they last spidered (remember that Google keeps cached pages of websites it spiders).

When the spider detected completely new content, your site may have been put into a special "watch" category, where Google requires a couple of spider cycles just to make sure the site content has "settled".

This is just speculation, but I would wait for another indexing cycle or two before hitting the Banned From Google panic button.

Thanks Lansing for a possible reason for its demise. Your explanation sounds reasonable.

Regarding links to my site, as far as I know there's 100+. In addition to search engine listing, the links are from related travel sites. Ironically, the best way to find them is by typing "western canada travel andrew hempstead" into Yahoo. Two come come up on the first page!

Also, try this: type "western canada travel" into Yahoo. The first page of Web Pages lists my site site twice. Not the actual site, but its listing at DMOZ and Google. How can that be explained?

Andrew

i took a quick look at that pdf file, but i havnt had time to read it properly, google depends heavily on link popularity and may have axed you for unusual linking practices

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also, try this: type "western canada travel" into Yahoo. The first page of Web Pages lists my site site twice. Not the actual site, but its listing at DMOZ and Google. How can that be explained?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe they are the only pages that contain the exact phrase "western canada travel"

go to FAST SEARCH
    www.alltheweb.com

and list your site there - word has it Google is going to pick up all their listings
    soon.

In any case, they feed alot of the smaller search engines and directories their listings and with your targeted domain name, you should get high in that category at a bunch of engines and directories to make up for the Google disaster.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread