I am wondering what everyones thought would be on only having to pay a ppc search engine for a click after the websurfer viewed a full page ad and then click through to the advertisers listing.

So instead of the one short paragraph and the link usually displayed the websurfer would see a full page add with a link at the bottom which could go to anyplace the advertiser decided.

There would be rules of course but you could use html, images, sales copy and tracking tools on your advertising page.

IMO This would prequalify traffic before you had to pay for them and would eliminate tons of usless clicks. Therefore your ROI would sky rocket and I'm hoping advertisers could afford to pay higher listing fees for that qualified or pre sold traffic.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Heyder ]

H,
    Very nice site you will be successful.Keep up the great work you are doing.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Heyder,

I'm game. What an opportunity. Do the pre-sell in the ad, then put the hammer down after they click to the listing. Quite EVIL indeed. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Mike

Heyder,

Are you talking about presenting the searcher with a single listing at a time instead of 15 - 25 advertisers on a page?

I would really like to see that. The values of the rankings change a lot. Bids become more concentrated in the first few places. I like it.

Ray :cool: [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] :cool:

ABW Ambassador
    As a user I'd hate that; it would make your site even less useful than it is now. To me as a searcher, a search engine that shows so few results is simply not worth a return visit. If there's a way to get more than one skimpy page of results it's not showing up on my system.

Unless your search engine is more informative for your searchers it won't be much use to your advertisers either, because you simply won't build enough traffic.

If you haven't done so already, I'd strongly recommend doing some serious reading about website usability from the USER'S point of view. Jakob Nielsen http://useit.com is a good place to start.

ABW Ambassador
    Cool, this would save me some bandwidth.
    I am assuming I can write my pre-sales page, and the link at the bottom could be my merchant link..
    Actually I'm with buckworks on this one. I really prefer to have a selection of search results to choose from. The listings who have studied at the Leader School of Ad Copy will more than likely get the click through (not the highest bid).

Buckworks,

You are correct about searchany only having one page of listings.

You are also right about surfers probably not liking it because of that reason.

So I need to make some changes indeed.....

I will first ad more results to the page and will look into setting up more pages of results.

This new thing I am talking about will not really be a search engine unless I get more ideas into it but rather just an advertising/affiliates program using search technology.

In other words it won't be a place for people to go to and make searches. It would simply be a banner with built in searchbox which is displayed on affiliates sites.

It would say something like Todays Daily Bargains Enter a keyword to find the best deals on anything on the web ------- search box and then the go button. A new window opens with that result.

I would present it as a shopping helper of some sort not a search engine.

To everyone,

Yes this would only cost you after they viewed the full page and clicked on your link at the very bottom of the page.

You would host all images etc but no linking and no logos, no site names, no phone, addresses or anything that cheats from clicking the link.

My idea is that it would cost more to advertise this way ie min bids etc. but you would come out way ahead by not getting as many useless clicks.

I will have it ready within a week and may be getting corp backing.

So I might be on CJ with it..

Buckworks,

What you said makes a lot of sense.

How was I going to get people to bookmark search results if I don't provide at least a full page of results????

Duh on me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks for the good advice again.
    Got anymore?

I need to comment a little further about this advertising method.

You could set it up so that the link goes straight to the buy page of your site or to your merchants buy page.

I also think affiliates will enjoy promoting this because of the high % of the bid I will offer and higher bidded listings.

Clicks are never useless - you never know who or when someone will buy.

What you are purposing is have a bunch of affiliates attack a single sales page and the advertiser only has to pay when the people click thru.

It might work, but you'd have to pay affiliates to send people there. So if you paid affiliates 3 cents and they sent 100 to view the 'why you should buy' page, it would cost you $3.00.

How much does the advertiser pay? If he gets
    1 click thru he has to pay you $3.00 for you to break even. If he gets 5 click thrus he has to pay you $.60 for you to break even.

You really can't do it with ONE advertiser. It might work with 5 or 6 advertisers.

Hard to make a profit in search engines with out mega traffic - like chicken little and humpty dumpty.

The way you have the individual keyword promotion ability isn't all that bad. What you need is to supply a rotation set-up that
    targets say 7 specific keywords

Something like:

Need A Job? Find One Fast Click Here.
    Need A Computer? Find One Fast Click Here

etc.

Then every time a impressions shows up on your affiliate sites they will see a targeted
    link to one of the 7 words.

Thus you focus your traffic on the keywords that pay the most and because you do this, the value to the merchants for listings on those keywords goes up.

When you can afford it. Add another 7 word rotation, so affiliates can run two of them.

Now you got 14 keywords getting all the traffic and those word become more valuable to the merchants.

I think FREE search engines are going to go bye-bye. They are not focused enough for CPM to be successful for merchants and with out enough CPM how are they going to pay the bills.

Even paying for listings might not be enough to keep them going. Because no one in their right mind would pay for a listing anywhere on the first page of a highly searched keyword.

But $5 to get listed might be the right number though to charge for a listing, if only those who paid the $5 get indexed. Then it would be a simple matter to randomly index each listing per page view. So on one page view you might be number 1 and on the next one number 136, on the next one 602, on the next one 23, etc.

Fast Search supposedly has 200 million listings - if only 50% paid the 5 bucks and they dumped the rest - they'd be knocking down $100 million per year. That would be enough for most anyone to make a nice profit except for idiots at Doubleclick.

Charge $5 for a listing and pay affiliates $1 to $2 per listing and you'd probably do real well with a REAL search, not a directory like Yahoo.

And you could bribe Gates&Company to make your search engine the default on windows bar.

We are working on a hybrid type directory/search engine.

Hopefully it will be ready to go on Feb 1.

It will have only 20 categories and 20 listing per category in the directory form.
    After you run thru the directory, if you haven't found something you like, you simply
    fill a word in a search box and go to the search engine part.

Merchants will pay for the top 20 listings.
    Afilliates will make 7 cents per click thru
    tracked as a lead to the individually targeted categories and 1 cent per click for each visitor sent by affiliates they refer.

And we will have an affiliate program on CJ that pays will pay $15 per sale per listing.

We haven't nailed down the cost for being one of the 20 - but it will be much less than a PPC per viewed keyword on BendOver.

I'll tweak around with it before I get to involved but the idea of it is to save the advertiser from paying for traffic that is only slightly curious without knowing enough.

This way they no more about it and the advertiser does a better job of presenting them with a sales pitch.

Why save the advertiser from anything...it's a necessity. Those who advertise make the big bucks. Those who don't don't.

What advertisers want is 'targeted traffic.'
    But what most of them need is a lot of semi-targeted traffic.

And the only way your 'one page' then click thru could be profitable for you is you'd have to pay the affiliates only on the click thrus to the advertisers page.

Way Ads does this and it royally sucks. You send them 100 visitors and you get make a whole 6 cents.

Their set up is they have ten listings and you get paid if the visitor you send clicks on one of the 10. Unforunately their categories all have duplicate listing for the same stuff.

No matter what advertisers got to face the music and that's playing you want traffic you have to pay for it.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread