I've used www.linkstoyou.com, but the results only show up a fraction of links I know do exist.

Any recommendations for checking active links to my site?

ahhhh, that explains

google announced a few months ago that anyone using linkstoyou would be banned from their index

to check your links go here > "http://www.marketleap.com/publinkpop/"

Austin, I was dumped by Google well before I used linkstoyou, and then it was just to check my site out. I don't believe my site is banned as it is still listed, but has obviously completely lost its page rank.

But this is where I'm now really confused. I used the Marketleap tool you recommended.

And:

1 Google finds no links to my site. If I search Google using link:www.westerncanadatravel.com the search also comes up with no links.

2 After a regular search for www.westerncanadatravel.com, click on "find web pages that contain the term www.westerncanadatravel.com" and a (short) list of pages with links shows up.

3 BUT, what makes it all the more confusing is that the list that shows up (above, 2) doesn't include many sites that link to mine, including from www.guidebookwriters.com. This site delivers me the most visitors and is ranked at the very top of Google ("guidebook writers" I'm feeling lucky). Search using
    western canada travel andrew hempstead and it's the important link that that shows up (2nd).

Why is Google showing no links to my site when the initial link search is made? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Andrew

if you think your site (westerncanadatravel.com) is not banned you are living in denial, sorry [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

click this link http://www.google.com/search?q=http%...=Google+Search

if your site where in the index you would see a description of your site on that page but there isnt one because you are banned

the reason google will not show links to your site is because google has dropped all links to your site because your site is banned

if you still get traffic from other sources then i guess the domain is worth keeping but quit any unusual linking practises

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>is not banned you are living in denial, sorry <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because a site doesn't show up in a query DOES NOT mean that it is banned.

'Banned' implies some sort of very serious spamming/stuffing that Google caught on to and didn't like it.

The more obvious reason why that particular URL does not display in a query is because there are no references to it to begin with. I more suspect that Google doesn't have a fairly high level reference to the domain on the search and won't go any deeper and just says that it can't find any references.

And before you fire off some sort of missive on how wrong I am, one of our domains has over 41,000 individual references in Google, but for some obscure reason, Google refuses to index the top level index.shtml page. If I query Google using the exact same query phrase, (substituting our url) Google responds with 'No Information Available'.

The only absolutely conclusive way to know if the site is 'banned' is to contact Google

CodeJockey.

ABW Ambassador
    terrigal,

I checked Google using the search term allinurl:www.westerncanadatravel.com and it returned no pages at all. While I cannot say that your site has been banned I am confident that it is not listed.

I would definitely contact Google and find out why.

Mike

Thanks for the suggestions and insight. I've contacted Google.

This is all pretty much out of my league, so if anyone can explain what may have got this site banned (unusual linking practices?) or where something has been messed up in the source code (description, etc) of my web page I'd be obliged.

Andrew

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread