Anyone know whether pointing domains is frowned on by se's?
    I was about to target one site, until I read somewhere se's don't look kindly on pointing anymore.
    Anyone "pointing domains" and how did the se's take it?
    Ta in advance [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    When my mother started an AF (Angelfire) site, we decided that it'd be best if a "real" URL showed in the browser window. So she pointed a domain at the site.

Google took it okay for a while, but there was a DMOZ listing pointing at the AF address (DMOZ says they don't want any redirected or pointed URLs so she gave them the actual address). Finally Google kicked out the paid-looking URL and only showed the AF URL, with fair ranking.

Finally she forked over for paid hosting, so the URLs then worked normally (it now goes where it says), and informed DMOZ so the listing would go to the right name... When Google picked up the new DMOZ data, Google listed the paid URL again, and the ranking Shot up!!!

So I'd say that Google will accept the domain pointing, but it likes the real URL. If it can find the real URL, it'll use it, and if everything matches up nice the rank will improve.

I don't know about the other free SEs... (Paid ones couldn't care less at the time. Most of 'em probably still don't care!)

Thanks leader [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    I have the domain, and also a number of relevant keyword/type-in domains I would like to point /redirect to one domain.
    It used to be a great way of getting more traffic but I've been hearing the se's frown on this now.
    Have you had any experience of this happening?
    I did it a couple of years back and it was great, but I'm a little wary now because a few have said it's no longer a good idea.

I could set the other domains up as mini sites pointing to the main, but if I can still safely point/redirect them I'd rather same myself some work.
    Had any feedback of the se's on this?

ABW Ambassador
    Mouse...I think they frown upon is what I've observed (for what it's worth)...I use to point some of the names I own to different directories of our large site...these do terrible as far as search engine rankings go...good thing is I find better ways to market them than search engines. For other domain names that I own, I have them point to our main website (not using but our own DNS). Those do much better than the sites...I believe that uses a frame to point, so that may have something to do with it...

Tom Pyles

Thank you [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread