ABW Ambassador
    Finally submitted to Inktomi - planning on listing with Looksmart too in the next week, .....I just had to do something because since google dumped some of my sites with the last index my income is about 1/10 what its been. Guess I was brown nosing the googlemeister LOL, just got me a snout full of poop!

Anyone have any tips on optimizing for ink? or any tips about Looksmart??

Also, I have submitted all of my sites a gazillion times to DMOZ and they never put em in there, they always reject them. How bogus is the whole dmoz thing anyway. Is every single editor the owner of 80% of the sites in their category or what?

thx

Don't forget, if the site in noncommercial, you get get it into Looksmart via Zeal.com for free, after you pass the Zealot test.

Hi Mary,
    I've used Position Tech for quite some time with Inktomi. Achieving terrific results! It used to be half the price it is now but I would still pay it.

With the 48 hr refresh you can tweak the page for better ranks until your happy. When you get it tweaked correctly all the other search engines seem to like that page more too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Email me for an example site with top ranks accross all Inktomi partners.

ABW Ambassador
    Unlike Google, title and meta tags (description and keywords) ARE important.

Here's something that I've learned having several Inktomi listings (and having changed out several dogs) -- let's use shoes as the example (since I don't sell shoes except as filler [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]). List every brand and type (okay, within reason) that your merchant sells. I generally put a paragraph after the selling paragraph. No, I don't expect ANYONE to read the paragraph. But you'd be surpised at how many hits you will get on "adidas mad hoopz" or "nike running shoes discount" just by having the text on your page.

This also gives you good info for future pages -- if you get 10 hits a day on a page with "adidas mad hoopz" just in the body of the page, imagine what you'd get if you did a targeted page for same. I got my top performing page this way -- top performing across ALL my pages, not just Inktomi listings (the page paid for itself within two days of being listed).

Of course, I may have gotten my worst performing page that way as well -- plenty of hits, no conversions. My fault, the search terms, even in these circumstances, are not targeted enough (think "blue shoes" not "blue nike shoes with purple laces"). I'm going to give it a couple more Inktomi cycles and if it doesn't shape up it gets replaced.

And that's the beauty of Inktomi. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Bassmaster, are you re4ally getting a 48 hour refresh, mine seems to be about every4 days or so.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, and that 48 hour refresh? That's what they SAY... what they do is often up-to 72 or 96 hours... some complain of longer, but I've never seen more than 96.

And sometimes, it's 48... just don't count on it.

Re: the DMOZ thing, I'm an extremely junior editor there of an extremely unimportant category, but I can shed some insight into what the editor sees. You should be aware that when an editor reviews a submitted site, if it's a URL that's already in the system that will come up along with a history of changes and editor notes. So if somebody rejected it already, and maybe you submit it to another category or resubmit it, it's going to come up on their screen as "rejected for no content" or whatever. I'm going to guess at that point a lazy editor won't bother to re-check it and will just go off the comment. If you keep submitting it, it's very obvious because the comments are dated and sooner or later somebody will put in a comment of "spam". Once that happens you can guarantee that nobody will ever look at it again.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, and one more thing ( [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]), the reports say "we can't track all traffic at this time, so your hits are more than listed" (I've paraphrased -- badly) -- that's the truth. Hits ARE more, sometimes significantly.

ABW Ambassador
    I have been thinking about Inktomi also. If you had to choose between Inktomi or Looksmart which do you think should be the first one a person should join?
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    cedric:

Great advice on the text! I think I'll do that today...add an "about the merchant" or "about the products" paragraph after the sales pitch and "Buy It" link.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>often up-to 72 or 96 hours... some complain of longer,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

does this include the initial spider also? I was really hoping for 48hrs. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

cazzie:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you had to choose between Inktomi or Looksmart which do you think should be the first one a person should join?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I opted for ink first because three url's were what I could afford yesterday...LOL, plus I thought the 48hr refresh would help me get the pages in shape for other engines as well.
    As soon as cj deposits Dec. payment then I am definately listing in Looksmart also.

Eljay:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you keep submitting it, it's very obvious because the comments are dated and sooner or later somebody will put in a comment of "spam". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I have about 20 sites that I've rotated submissions, I wouldn't call it spamming really, but it blows my mind that not one of them got listed...., they aren't all bad!

ABW Ambassador
    Bassmaster:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've used Position Tech for quite some time with Inktomi. Achieving terrific results! It used to be half the price it is now but I would still pay it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you talking about the reg. ink submission or their Position Pro for $349?? I don't know if I could afford the $349 right now.

thx

ABW Ambassador
    RE: ODP
    >I'm going to guess at that point a lazy editor won't bother to re-check it and will just go off the comment.

So if you have FINALLY added content make a NOTE at the end of your description.....

[editor PLEASE note that we have added A LOT of content]

And if that does work, buy a new domain!

eljay: Hey I'm an ODP editor too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Right on - I always check the history before I add it.

It's true, if you want to understand ODP, become an editor!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What I've noticed about the Ink refresh, is that the spiders (Slurp/cat and Slurp/si) come around every 48 hours like clockwork.

BUT, it may take ANOTHER two days for the partner sites to pick up the changes. Therefore, total time=4 days.

One tip that hasn't been mentioned yet is to make sure that your listing won't be buried under a bunch of directory sites. On MSN, it's really easy to tell which ones these are: They have a heading that says "Directory Sites", and then list those sites. Then the Inktomi listings have "Web Page Listings" as their header.

The HIGHEST rank you can get with Inktomi is the first site under Web Page Listings.

AOL doesn't make it obvious, so I always check MSN to see this. But I have found that I get about the same rank on AOL and MSN even though they use different directories. So MSN's a good ballpark figure...

The result is that a listing for certain things like Mortgages or Home Equity Loans will be BURIED ALIVE by directory listings and is a waste of time.

But if you have something more obscure, you can rank quite well. Some categories have NO directory listings at all [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Sometimes what will rank well isn't what would be expected to, and vice versa. So it's always good to check out the amount of directory listings before bothering.

On another note, it's quite gratifying (psychologically) to see an Ink listing get high rank in OverSure...Over doesn't send too many hits to Ink listings, but it's still funny to see a listing they kicked out, BACK, on their page! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I use http://ink.ineedhits.com They're good--no complaints. (I don't use any "packages" from I Need Hits--just the Ink submission)

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

ABW Ambassador
    I've been pleased with Inktomi - I list with PositionTech. It's good to be able to tweak pages and be updated every couple of days. I've more than doubled the traffic to some URLs this way. I bought another listing late last Saturday (a week ago yesterday) and the page started getting hits from Inktomi partners on Wednesday. That was with the regular submission, not PositionPro.

One nice thing is that you can rotate the URLs in your account, so if you get a page tweaked to rank well for keywords you're targeting, you can switch the URL (as long as it's in the same domain) and work on a different page.

Before you list with LookSmart, you might want to know that LookSmart is presently in active partnership with TopText, one of the scumware programs that defaces our sites and steals our traffic. http://scumware.com/hall1.html You'll need to make your own decisions about how you'll respond to that.

If you're concerned but feel you can't afford to boycott LookSmart completely, consider the cheaper 8-week submission, and spend the savings to list some URLs with Inktomi. And take the time to tell LookSmart the issue is one that troubles you.

Elisabeth

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>does this include the initial spider also?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. Meaning you may get it in 48 hours and you may not. And unlike Leader, I don't see the bots like clockwork. Sometimes yes, sometimes, no. There is definitely a delay between the spidering and the partners picking up the changes, though.

But even 96 hours is better than a month for Google and Inktomi traffic is converting better for me than Overture.

Of course, now three Overture links are included in the mix -- displaying before paid Inktomi links. We are not amused. But for me, it's still been the best deal.

Re OPD,

I have found that since passing my zeal.com zealot test the OPD is extremely easy to get in on the first try everytime.

Zeal has taught me exactly what editors want to see.

The category, description, title and the content if done right can get you extremely good results.

My last 3 submits have been listed with 48 hrs. One of my sites was listed within 6 hrs if I recall right.

It really pays to take the zeal quiz

I've always noticed them being every 48-72 hours but lately I honestly haven't checked. The per url with auto refresh is the only service of theirs I use.

Money pages work very well when you tweak them every few days according to their rank and when you like it submit to the other engines and link it somewhere so google will catch it.

Not to get all off topic but I never submit to google, I link to the new site/page and let it find and rank all by itself.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "Of course, now three Overture links are included in the mix -- displaying before paid Inktomi links. We are not amused.~Cedric"

Yeah, but the way Over is, they'll kick those paying advertisers out of their listings sooner or later... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Then there won't be any Over paid listings left TO show up!

ABW Ambassador
    ok the sites got spidered and were on the engines in about 3 days...here's the problem I am having

My hit stats on Ineedhits aren't moving, they are still saying 0, even though my site stats say I'm getting some good traffic. Its hard to see which keywords are most effective if they aren't even counting the hits...geesh

Anyone else having this problem?

ABW Ambassador
    that there is whatcha call a "known problem"... if you look at the top of the page of stats it says "Click-Thru reports currently only reflect a small percentage of the entire click-thrus Inktomi Search Partners refer to your URL."

and that's the truth.

With a Zero stat though, odds are you are not appearing high enough in MSN or AOL to do you any good.

If you can get access to your log files, an anlysis program (such as faststats) will report what people are searching on to get to your site (and at which search engines).

ABW Ambassador
    OTOH, I just checked -- ineedhits doesn't have report updates after the 15th (it happens), wait until the next report update to make any judgement calls.

ABW Ambassador
    cedric
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I just checked -- ineedhits doesn't have report updates after the 15th (it happens) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you see that?? So, they don't update reports EVER after the 15th?? I guess I am not following very well.

Leader: You said you used Ineedhits, do you have this problem?

thanks

ABW Ambassador
    sorry, I wasn't clear -- they haven't updated SINCE the 15th. Try to run a stats report, you'll see they default at ending on Jan 15th (unless there has been an update since I last checked).

Generally ineedhits updates stats daily... but not always, this is about as long as I've seen without an update.

ABW Ambassador
    OK that makes sense then since I signed up on the 13th, was added by 16th. No wonder it's at 0.

Thanks a lot for the info!!

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread