Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Who went? What did you learn? What were the hot topics? Please fill us in!

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    ChatDollars :: ConsciousOne :: EveryTicket :: Organize-Everything :: Irv's Luggage :: zZounds
    DentalPlans :: Executive Essentials :: IntelliContactPro :: Roadloans :: More Programs Coming Soon!

Yeah, I wanna know Maybe I go next year when I hear lots of enthusiastic stories

I didn't go nor did I want to. They charge money to attend. THat's bogus.

ABW Ambassador
    CJ put on an great event as usual. There was an exceptionally large turn out. I also noted a large number of "mid-tier" affiliates attending and was surprised the affiliate ratio was so high.

For me the hottest topic was search.

- impact of affiliates on search
    - legal issues around search i.e trademarks, OEM brands, copywriting
    - future of search both algorithmic and product based search
    - effect of Google Adsense
    - future impact of large brand budgets on PPF search
    - advanced search strategies- XML, PI, etc

Notable was the Overture VP's presentation who had made a couple of points that really opened my eyes.

There was also a very interesting panel about search with CJ, Couponmountain.com, MarketLeap and Shoes.com moderated by Gary Stein of Jupiter Research.

My only regret was not getting to meet Noel McMichael of MarketLeap, and if you read this Todd I hope you can connect me with him later.

regards,
    Wayne

PS This was my 3rd CJU and I highly recommend the event.

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Get a free two-week trial use code ABWEB at RevTrends.com

I'm certain we'll be getting more accurate and complete reports from others in attendance.

Andy

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Maybe everyone is sleeping in or took today off. I haven't gotten replies from anyone on other boards either. I know a lot of people went and am surpised no one is sharing yet.

I think Connie went. Connie, where are you?

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    ChatDollars :: ConsciousOne :: EveryTicket :: Organize-Everything :: Irv's Luggage :: zZounds
    DentalPlans :: Executive Essentials :: IntelliContactPro :: Roadloans :: More Programs Coming Soon!

Today is no doubt a travel day for many, or they've taken a few extra days in sunny california.

Ok-- I went. I spent most of today contacting people who I met there to further discuss ideas I had.

Well, I can say that it was an excellent event. I learned tons. There wasn't a whole lot of publishers there which disappointed me. But oh well, I accomplished the objectives, and then some.

I would say the highlight of the event (for me) was the opening meeting. CJ's Jeff Pullen put on a presentation describing how far CJ's come and where it's going. It struck me how much growth they've had, and how much they will grow. True, you must take everything with a grain of salt, but I for one believe they are making a lot of real progress.

They've hired a lot of new people. They're coming out with new products. And....sometime soon, they'll be getting rid of that worthless pop-up navigation in the account manager! Woohoo!

The new CEO has really turned things around there.

Also, on the technology side, the reason why it's taken so long for updates is because the programming of the interface had previously not been modular enough, and so was not scalable. But now they're starting to break through that particular barrier.

Surprisingly, I heard very little about the parasite issue. I can't say I'm that surprised...but still. The only discussions I had concerning it were with other advertisers.

Anyway, most of CJU was presentations where advertisers would talk about themselves (well, I guess Looksmart counts as a publisher). That was good to the extent that it gave us ideas. But the only two presentations that stick in my mind are the ones by Lisa Riolo of CJ-- telling us how to better aquire customers. One by Quicken Loans that gave us many great ideas. And the first one where CJ basically told us where they were headed, and how they were going to get there.

Oh, and Google was conspicuously missing.

Bryan Simonson
    bryan@smoothcorp.com
    SmoothCorp Affiliates
    iFLOOR.com/3%/sale/avg.sale=$800
    RugArea.com/12-14%/avg.sale=$400
    CornerHardware.com/6%/avg.sale=$80

[This message was edited by Bryan - SmoothCorp on September 24, 2003 at 07:03 PM.]

I wish I coulda been there but do to a wedding that I had to attend on Sunday, I was not able to make it. Hopefully next year! Though I will be at AffiliateSummit (www.affiliatesummit.com) in NYC in November.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager
    EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! <
    SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! <

Preface: My first CJU and the advertiser perspective.

I attended the advertiser related forums mostly. I did see and meet up with quite a few of our affiliates so I think that the publisher turn out seemed positive.

CJ did a great job of focusing on what needs to be continuously done to help support the partnerships with the publishers. I agree that Lisa Riolo did a fantastic job in her presentations. Nate Fish and Scott Martin of CJ also did a good job in addressing the strength and importance of affiliate communication.

I think some of the great value came from getting to talk with the speakers directly during the "Mastermind Roundtables" where the speakers would spend about 10-15 minutes at a table of about 8 people that could discuss the topic they discussed or have them address key questions that were had. They were smaller discusssions and gave you the chance to interact with the speakers in a more private forum.

As an advertiser that supports affiliates in their search marketing initiatives, it was interesting to hear the many concerns raised about branding by affiliates utilizing search marketing. Obviously a concern, but I believe it to be a risk that can be managed and mitigated.

CJ did a fantastic job as host, extending themselves to help make introductions and providing plenty of lab time for the new members that were attending. I look forward to attending again next year.

Keith Wilson
    United Online
    NetZero and Juno Internet

Interesting. I'm hoping to reach the next one! Time to make more pages now....

Jason

xtremeshopping.org

aim: ssn jason

"If someone says can't, that shows you what to do." -- John Cage

quote:
    Originally posted by KWilson:

{SNIP}... it was interesting to hear the many concerns raised about branding by affiliates utilizing search marketing. Obviously a concern, but I believe it to be a risk that can be managed and mitigated.

Keith Wilson
    United Online
    NetZero and Juno Internet

Hi Keith,

Not sure I quite understand the concern here. Can you or someone in the know elaborate on this point please.

Thanks

"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."

Sure thing... Besides the cost factor (by allowing affiliates to bid on our keyword terms we are just increasing our own competitive bid cost), the risk that an advertiser faces is having an affiliate misrepresent our brand when allowing publishers to utilize bidding on trademarked terms. For instance, we allow affiliates to bid on our trademarked term NetZero. If the relationship is not managed properly, the affiliate could technically post information that misrepresents or is competitive with our NetZero brand. Negative editorial by an affiliate is not in our best interest. We haven't faced this problem per se, but we are aware that an affiliate could "go rogue" and smear a campaign. Like I said, not realistic but technically possible.

The example used in the forum discussion was a little more relevant since the advertiser was a retail group that sold numerous name brands. If I remember correctly, the brands that were sold through the site required approval from the corporate entity to bid on the keywords and therefore also called for some guidelines / style guides to be imposed relative to the brand. Managing many brands obviously increases the complexity when working with publishers that can and do manipulate the provided creative.

The same problem could happen on non-trademarked terms as well, but it is twice as painful if smearing happened on a trademarked term since we have increased the competitive bid for our own term. It is all about managing risk. That would be a double whammy... costs more to bid on NetZero AND potential lost sales/negative branding as a result.

All our publishers have been very diligent in seeking approval when altering content or copy.

Kinda long... did that make sense?
    Keith

quote:
    Originally posted by KWilson:
    Kinda long... did that make sense?
    Keith

Yes it did. Very much so.

Thanks

"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."

Yes, I was supposed to go, but last weekend got really sick and had to cancel. I spent most of the weekend blowing my nose and coughing instead.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    No mentioning of the role of BHO's or discussions on small things like Verisigns hijacking all 404 error pages, corrupting all e-mail spam blocking programs and typosquatting on all trademark names via .com,.net and .org domains. How about Calif. new tough spam law completely eliminating Opt-out mailings? If it isn't verified Opt-In it is illegal with the perp, his ISP, the advertiser and the monitizing affiliate network held liable for huge fines.

Sounds like it was just a CJ advertising PR show without a hint to merchants on how to triple their conversion ratios from normal affiliate traffic.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Those topics were mentioned many times Mike. One good conversation I heard between two AMs was over what type of affiliate was more parasitic- an affiliate with a download or an affiliate who was bidding on their trademarks in the search engines. They couldn't make up their mind.

What do you think Mike?

-wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Get a free two-week trial use code ABWEB at RevTrends.com

Easy answer Wayne -- the downloadable affiliate affects many more affiliates and merchants and thusly is more parasitic.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

If merchants don't want affiliates to bid on their keywords, they should specificly say so. Make it part of their agreement. Anyone found violating that should have their accounts closed and moneys forfeited.

Chris

----------------------------
    ezDatafeed.com - Merchants - Give your affiliates your datafeed outside the networks, without cost to the affiliate. Check out ezDatafeed.com for more information.
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    ????..."what type of affiliate was more parasitic- an affiliate with a download or an affiliate who was bidding on their trademarks in the search engines."

Parasitic activity on trademarks and brand names involves actively participating in a revenue generating scheme based upon the trademarks of others. Popping up "incented" alerts, hijacking the brand or trademark keyword and monitizing the merchants domain name by an overpaid BHO is an ART FORM perfected by professionals running theftware.

Hijacking or abusing trademarks to set cookies by scumbag affiliates practicing SEO keyword spamming is an activity of a lowly common thief.

Both are damaging to a merchant's brand and have no regard to enhancing the shopper experience as they play their tricks for clicks game. My call is the BHO professional thief is much more dangerious to the merchants brand and trademark as their trademark infringement remains hidden and also generates them getting higher commission rates, pushing lower profit incent offers, on all paths leading to a merchants site even where no commission by any legal terms is deserved or warranted.

Those merchant AM's who don't see that double dipping their merchant bosses cash register is a breach of trust need to be fired when caught. Detecting and Booting out PPCSE trademark offenders is childs play verses booting out the BHO's who secretly map out every damn trademark associated with any product to trigger incent popups.

I still challenge all merchants to Boycott using any incent offerings via the affiliate channel this Holiday Shopping season. The NET result is they'll not give ammunition to either of the above trademark abuser groups and put more profits into their tills by just offering FREE FREIGHT to all shoppers posted on every ecatalog page. Send me a $1000 Wayne and I'll consult with you on this issue.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

What is so sad here is the typical CJ silence. We, as CJ publishers and Advertisers, should all be getting a report from CJ as to the the content of the meeting. Not all of us can afford the money or the time to go to these each year and CJ should treat us as stock holders and present us with a report each year. I am disappointed that they have never treated us with this type of respect. We have to get all this information second hand.

And while you are reading this, Todd, did you ever read the email I sent you about a merchant that wants to join CJ? An acknowlegement of my email to you about it would have been nice!

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

Keith and Bryan,

Thanks for the feedback from a merchants experience of the conferance

Keith,
    quote:
    I agree that Lisa Riolo did a fantastic job in her presentations. Nate Fish and Scott Martin of CJ also did a good job in addressing the strength and importance of affiliate communication.

Thats nice to hear that communication with affiliates was talked about. Something that I believe is missing on a large scale, including communication between CJ and affiliates.

I'm not familiar with Lisa Riolo. What is her position and what did she have to say that made her presentation so good?? Thanks

Wayne,
    quote:
    Those topics were mentioned many times Mike. One good conversation I heard between two AMs was over what type of affiliate was more parasitic- an affiliate with a download or an affiliate who was bidding on their trademarks in the search engines. They couldn't make up their mind.

Give me a break. It is easy to make up their mind. Send the affiliates an email stating that they are not allowed to bid on their trademarks. Its that simple and something I personally agree with.

quote:
    One good conversation I heard between two AMs was over what type of affiliate was more parasitic- an affiliate with a download or an affiliate who was bidding on their trademarks in the search engines.

Ummm, kind of like comparing apples to oranges isn't it??? JMO of course

Merchant Coincidences, One of the Wonders of the World

Coincidence Me baby!

ABW Ambassador
    It seems those who attended knew beforehand what was to be talked about, and left merely knowing that it indeed had been talked about ...Truly, you can't say that there is now all this marvelous knowledge that can now add post after post of marvelous insights.

As far as the search marketing issue, I don't suppose merchants like Blair got up and shared why just last month they decided to amend their affiliate agreement to include the following:

"Effective Friday, August 8th, 2003 Blair prohibits all Affiliates from bidding more than $0.10 on the Blair brand name or misspellings for search engine positioning. This notification applies to, but is not limited to, the following Blair trademarks and brand names: Blair, Blair.com, Blair catalog, Blair catalogs, Blair clothes, Blair clothing, Blair menswear, Blair mens, Blair womenswear, Blair womens, Blair men's, Blair women's, Blair online, Blair home, Blair clearance, Blair apparel, Blair company, Blair Corp, www.blair.com If you are currently using any of these trademarks in any search engine positioning, please adjust your bid price to $0.10 or less, effective Friday, August 8th, 2003. Furthermore… when using any Blair trademark in any search engine positioning, all traffic must be sent directly to the appropriate page at Blair.com. These steps are needed to protect our valuable Blair trademarks. As a Blair Affiliate you have agreed to abide by the trademark restrictions. If we discover you are bidding more than $0.10 on the trademarked name or URL, or violating the Agreement in any way after the effective date, you will be notified immediately. Subsequent violations may result in termination from the Blair Affiliate program."

ABW made an impact on Blair's recent decision ...everyone should recognise that. Was ABW given any credit during this fabulous getaway?

We covered this stuff months ago, and CJ was obviously taking notes. Where else would they come up with anything else to talk about other than themselves, where they're at, and where they're going? ...I know, I'm being too harsh.

What about the Norton issue? Surely that didn't get 5 minutes? Did it? Was it "we're working directly with Symantech to resolve this issue", like you here at ABW?

Yea, you Parasite conspiracy mongers ...obviously your issue didn't get 5 seconds. They couldn't tarnish eBates image so publicly and all. Maybe next year, so hold your breath.

We know where CJ is at, and where they're heading ...and airfare is always cheap right here at ABW.

This was my 2nd time, last time time I went to CJ was probably August of 1998 or 99, for free, I do not exactly remember. I did not then understand what they were doining and walked away.

I went back to see what I have missed and it is remarkable. Being a network engineer, I had already designed a moderately complexed solution to build my site. But, I met some folkes at CJU, and they were willing to share with me(after a few drinks), that a highly successfully site can be build within a few hours. In some cases you do not even have to have a website... Go figure that out!

Even though I met a handsome number of people, but still I regrett not meeting a number of people including some who posted in this forum.

kky2k

"a large number of "mid-tier" affiliates "

Just curious - what is a mid-tier affiliate and how do you know who they are? What are the other tiers? Who defined the tiers and who decides which affiliates go in which tier?
    Sound mostly like more bs comment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast