Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    You know, you would think that I would have learned the first time, when I blew through $85 and got an appalling 7 clickthroughs with google's ad-word program, generating what must be a world-high all-time premium of $12.14 per click through, with $0 sales.

Hey, I was new.

Everybody learns the hard way, right?

But no, I think, surely I just made a mistake, I did not focus my targetting properly, I'm six months older and wiser, so let's give google meister another shot.

So, $40 later, I have upped my hits to a whopping 83 clickthroughs, providing a clickthrough cost of a mere $.48 .... which is, by the way, $.45 more than I need to get a decent clickthrough rate at just about any of the smaller PPC engines......

Does anyone actually have success with googles ad-words? Because I think it's a piece of junk.

But hey, it's just my opinion.

ABW Ambassador
    West Coast USA
    We get between 4% and 9% CTR

But it is easy to make a mistake.
    Over the weekend we blew through $25 by adding a keyword to our list that didn't convert.

when you sign up for adwords do you get your site crawled by googlebot?

I've never paid for adwords, but I do pay for a good host that google crawls a couple of times a month. I used to have great placement because of keywords matching in my domain, title, meta tags, and content. Then like an idiot I installed PHPnuke and forgot to make sure the Robots.txt file was set correctly. Hopefully google will forgive me this next time around and index me again.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Don't know if it helps when google crawls your site or not. I believe that it was suggested in a trafficology newsletter that having an active ad word campaign might help your placement when the googlebot gives you the once over, but I have no idea if that is true or not. Anyone know? But personally, my clickthrough rate was just terrible with ad-words. If they changed to a ppc or modified it in some manner, I might revisit 'em. Otherwise, I might as well go to the riverboat and at least enjoy tossing my money away.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread