ABW Ambassador
    suppose you have been targeting the keywords "wheat bread" "white bread" "rye bread" and so on....for a bakery...,
    lets just say there are a gazillion of sites in those catagories and they are all filling up google and such with their spammy stuff - is it sometimes worth it to not target so highly. What if you could get 3x the traffic for keywords like "bread" "loaf of bread" or "bakery" with about 1/3rd the competition.

I know that that would mean that you have less targeted visitors but even so wouldn't the sheer lack of competition still make your conversion #'s better??

I am thinking about buying a few new domain names with more generic keywords and going another route. The area a few of my sites are in is so saturated for specific keywords...

on one highly targeted keyword at google Google says there are 900 impressions per week

for the more generic keyword w/less competition there are 2,800 impressions

Anyone have an opinion?

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: MsMarySunshine ]

ABW Ambassador
    Also one more question:

In what order would search engines rank the following:

breadstore
    bread-store
    bread--store
    1breadstore
    1bread-store
    1bread--store
    breadstorebakery
    bread-store-bakery

I have them in the order I assume they would be in...

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Ms. Mary,

I would use Word Tracker to find out what the best words are for you to go after. I trust Word Tracker a lot more than Google re: number of impressions. Besides, with Word Tracker you can see which words you should target and which ones to stay away from. I like it because you don't have to guess what the good terms are, it tells you.

Here is the link Word Tracker. The free version is ok, but I always go with the paid version b/c it gives you the stats for Google and Yahoo. I think it's $5-$6 for 24 hours of use.

Regarding the domains, there are others here who know a lot more about it than I do, but I always go for all the words together if it's available (ie. breadstore), then with the hyphen. Personally I would stay away from double hyphens, but that's just me. Best of luck to you.

Cheers,
    Kip [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

For what it's worth, this is my ranking, best to worst. I subtract value for numbers and hyphens.

breadstore (used in everyday conversation)
    breadstorebakery (not commonly used)
    1breadstore -1
    bread-store -1
    bread-store-bakery -2
    bread--store -3
    1bread-store -3
    1bread--store -4

Now let's see more experienced reviewers rate my rating. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Ray

Hi Ms. Mary,

One of my sites is a gardening site, there are huge numbers out there many that have many full time staff running them and with loads of cash to help their rankings.

Result, I can't compete with these sites for the obvious general words. What I learned from a free download of a weblog analyser was that my site was in the top three or at least the first page for several phrases that I'd never thought about.

I then tweaked those pages to increase ranking further and increased content in those directions. I'm now better placed for certain frequent seraches than many of the much bigger but more general sites.

I found this approach more effective for my than finding the keywords first and doing it that way.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Ray...I have the option between a 1breadstore and bread-store Type domain names that are open and think Ill go with the domain name with the 1 in front.

Paul, I have been doing it that way kinda, but this particular theme is becoming sooo saturated for all keywords and phrases -its killer! I have had some good listings in some keyword strings but I guess I just want more,more,more...lol

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Paul,

What web log analyzer do you use? I'm looking for a good, free one. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Hi Kip,

I started off using a 30 day trial from WebTrends - excellent but about $500 after 30 days. I've also tried Sawmill which was good and I almost forked out the $99 until I came across one called Analog which is totally free.

You can download it at http://www.analog.cx/ It's not as pretty or user friendly as the others and you have to delve into the code somewhat to make it work.

I've got it sitting on my desktop at the moment waiting to be unpacked and configured, but that's the way I'm going with it.

Paul

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Paul. It's just what I was looking for. I'm downloading it now. Later this week when I'm feeling adventurous I'll install it. Hopefully getting it up and running won't be too difficult.

All the best,

ABW Ambassador
    Analog is quite good, easy to install and you can easily customise it.

I recommend that you spend some time to read the configuration documentation as I found that if you don’t configure then you can get a lot of irrelevant statistics that just cloud the issue. e.g. For my sites, I don’t need to know how many visitors I have in five-minute increments.

It also has an excellent explanation of what you can or can not get from your statistics.

If you can run PHP on your site you should try ezboo They are what we have been using and very easy to install. They don't offer all the bells and whistles but you will get all the info you need from it.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Hey Ms. Mary,
    If you're looking for google traffic, don't forget to look at your competition closely in the more general keywords that get more traffic.
    <ul><LI>Do all the top listings have google directory listings? You'll need one to compete, most likely (not always)
    <LI>Check the link pop to the top listings and see if you can beat it.
    <LI>It can be worth it, but some more general terms are really hard to break into[/list]

Can't help with the domain name stuff. Haven't ever really done that for the added keywords yet.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread