ABW Ambassador
    Just got off the phone with a cousin that has noticed the exact same thing I did just after the Yahoo/Overture partnership.

Same as I , he recieved an abundant flow of traffic for the search terms he had listed on Overture for the first 2 days or so when the listings first went live. He too, was jumping for joy with this new found targeted traffic.

After the first couple of days, just like with me, the traffic basically STOPPED coming from Yahoo, and the rest of the usual traffic seemed to diminish as well.

What else do you suppose they installed or initiated after those first few days that killed the Yahoo traffic that we all know exists, so quickly and abruptly.

Could YAHOO be a victim of scumware, with the pop-ups set to cover up the sponsored listings ?

Could it be the FREE ISP's that utilize Yahoo search engine in a desperate attempt to make a profit by resorting to scumware tactics ? Something really smells bad about his whole deal , just can't figure out where the fould odor is coming from.

It just makes no sense at all that the listings are there, but no one seems to come from the top 3 listings , or, very, very, few visitors.

Lisa

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Lisa,

I am actually getting pretty decent traffic from Yahoo/Overture. It just depends on the day and the keywords.

I still hate Overture for what they are doing.

ABW Ambassador
    Lisa - I noticed a few months ago that yahoo now rotates it's database. Every few weeks it flips it's search results for any given keyword. I have several yahoo listings. I submit to yahoo business express at least twice a month. I had sites on the first page for months and then yahoo flips it's wig and sites get moved around. It sucks. Then as far as top 3 listings. I have several top 3 listings for which I get pretty good traffic from yahoo but it's not the same since Overture added their 3 listings to the results.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not at all talking about actual
    Yahoo listings, so the rotation wouldn't really apply, just refering to the Overture sponsored listings, and how they produced tons of traffic the first few days, then it dropped BIG time.

Before you agree or disagree , why not check your stats for the first few days of the partnership , and see if the same did in fact, happen to you. If you have really high traffic , you may not have even noticed the difference, and just thought you had a few "better" days.

But, if this same pattern applies to all of us for the same few days, you can be sure something is up.

I still say something happened AFTER the first few days this deal went live. I bet if CJ looks at the overall stats, they too will notice that there was a huge peak in sales and leads volume for many affiliates during the time frame I am talking about, which dropped back down after a couple of days.

Lisa

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm kinda lousy at dates, just when DID that Over/Yahoo deal go live, anyway?

From Overture's email:

Details on the Exciting News
    Users who conduct searches at www.yahoo.com will see search results that
    include Overture's top three search listings at the top of the page in
    a section called "Sponsor Matches." Users will also see two Overture
    listings at the bottom of the page in a section called "More Sponsor
    Matches." This agreement will be implemented over the next two weeks,
    beginning on
    Thursday, November 15, 2001.

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, sorry that was November 15th. - 19th /20th ?

If I am correct, your targeted (PPC) traffic and earnings stats from those should have doubled ,or at least been much noticeably higher than normal.

(That's IF you had #1-#3 spot targeted listings with GOTO)

If I'm wrong, I'm very sorry to waste your time. I look at it, and see that "something" has gone wrong ... can't anyone else see this too ?

Lisa

"That's IF you had #1-#3 spot targeted listings with GOTO~Lisa"

I didn't get much coverage, due to that #1-#3 spot preference of theirs. But I do remember seeing some lower ranking listings getting shown on Yahoo by a fluke around then. I guess I just thought they fixed it when the traffic slowed back down because I didn't have one of the top 3!

I can't say I remember the specifics, though...I'll have to take a look at the old log files.

ABW Ambassador
    Leader, at the bottom of the Yahoo! search results, you know they show "More sponsored listings" , right ?

Yours may have appeared down at the bottom of the Yahoo results page during that time frame ???

Lisa

ABW Ambassador
    I didn't notice anything drastic in my stats. However, I have several listings in the top 1-5 from Overture/Yahoo and I'm not overly impressed with the traffic.

I quick-checked my old stats. The old ones show that in December and January, I got more hits from SearchYahoo [as opposed to GoogleYahoo], than in November. If all those hits are coming from Oversure listings then there has been a steady rise in traffic from there--and I would figure they are from Over since the Google listings show up as coming from GoogleYahoo as opposed to SearchYahoo.

ABW Ambassador
    Okay ... whatever .
    Can you delete this thread please ?

No sense in keeping it here, if no one noticed the same thing happening.

Lisa

Lisa,

I will not delete the thread because it is a valid point and I think it will be brought up again.

I have noticed the differance ... I am #1 on yahoo in a very specialized (business) listing, I used to get about 10 sales a day and now hardly any ... lot of cookies though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]!

Haiko

I noticed a difference, but what I noticed was that I was suddenly paying Overture for traffic from Yahoo, that I used to get for free. I come up as number one for "microwave cooking" at Yahoo. When they threw Overture into the mix, then I was Number 3 for them, and Number 1 for Yahoo.

Overture's Number 1 spot was an affiliate selling one product, and Number 2 spot was a builder selling appliances. So, guess who got to pay for people to learn about microwave cooking? I simply deleted the search term from Overture, and I still get the hits. I learned my lesson there ... make your search terms very specific so you don't end up paying for people just looking for general information.

But this is a prime example of how inconsistent Overture is with its new rules. Certainly, the number one listing that comes up when you search "microwave cooking" at Yahoo breaks all of them, but it's still there.

I'll die laughing if they ever finish going through all the search terms and deleting them, and then Yahoo cancels the contract!

Tracy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well something is amiss on SE traffic which I solely rely upon for visitors. I just checked my live stats after many page revisions ( Christmas & New Years is over) and purging some dead merchants only to find thta since last Friday my page views are half their normal amount. I jump over to Yahoo and some how the 300+ listings to EcomCity.com pages I had there since 1997 are gone. Just the sites that link to me show in the descriptions. MSN and AOL search traffic are zip so most of my new traffic comes from some minor keywords and smaller SE's.

Hell if it wasn't for bookmarks and some slow sales activity I wouldn't have noticed I wasn't getting my average 2000+ page views daily. Have I been targeted by the scumware/parasiteware folks for bashing them on the boards and e-mails?? I see my stat program is working since I verified key merchant impressions on the networks are half of normal too.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread