I'm tired of beating my head against the wall with my web host. They keep screwing up my log reports so that they don't record where a visitor comes from and what search term they use to get to my site. I think this is vital information for adding content and tweaking pages to increase traffic. I keep explaining to them that I NEED to know where my visitors come from and what search terms they use to get there, but they still can't seem to straighten out the problem.

I've been using Hitbox but it only tracks information about referring domains and search terms for people who enter through my homepage. If they enter through one of my other pages, I don't get this information. I also am not crazy about their ugly boxes on my site.

I know there is stuff you can download and use for tracking, but it all seems a little too technical for me, and would be difficult to implement.

My question is this ... Does anybody use the Frontpage 2002, specifically the Usage Analysis Reports. I'm currently using Frontpage 2000 and before I upgrade, would like to know how good those reports are.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Tracy

Tracy,

You can put your hitbox code in any other page and change the page name in the code.
    It will track every pages coded, where is the entry page and the exit page as well.

Their instructions said to only put the large coding on your main page, and use the subsidiary coding for the other pages. Do you mean I can use the coding I used on my homepage on all my pages? So that it will grab search terms and where the visitors come from?

Tracy

Yes.
    As long as you put the code in and change the page name...

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm tired of beating my head against the wall with my web host. They keep screwing up my log reports so that they don't record where a visitor comes from and what search term they use to get to my site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    FIRE YOUR WEB HOST. You're absolutely right that the info in your logs is critical and any type of page code tracker is not going to be nearly as accurate as your log files. For example, the page code tracker on ABW rarely records my visits, because the d@mn thing stalls on every page, and I just hit the stop button -- it almost NEVER loads.

Don't work around this bozo web host, get another one.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: Cedric ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by XO:
    Yes.
    As long as you put the code in and change the page name...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good grief! Talk about a rule I should have broken a long time ago.

After I read your post I went to the Tech Support page at HitBox. Turns out that there is a new version, which only has one coding box and it tracks everything.

Thank you for putting me on the straight and narrow. If you hadn't said something, I would have continued to be frustrated. I changed the coding on my most important pages last night, and the information I'm now getting from Hitbox is invaluable! It's just going to take me hours to change all the pages on my website.

Thanks again for your help.

Tracy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cedric:

FIRE YOUR WEB HOST.

... because the d@mn thing stalls on every page, and I just hit the stop button -- it almost NEVER loads.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you, Cedric,

I just called my web host and read them the riot act. They have 24 hours to fix this, or I'm looking for another. I'd fire them right off, but I'm so swamped I really don't have time to deal with changing hosts right now. But I will.

Stalling is something that concerns me about the HitBox. I noticed that there new coding takes forever to load, so I know I can't trust that data completely. At least for now it is more than I was getting before.

I'd still like to know anybody's opinion about upgrading to Frontpage 2002. I'm comfortable with 2000, but wonder if there are enough improvements to warrant the change.

Tracy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I've been a FP developer since it first came out but Microsoft has really messed up on FP2002 server extensions. I use FP98 and 2000 and everything on the server side worked fine. Now the new server extensions have lost all my private password protected childweb users names and I nor my clinets can no longer use FrontPage Express ( Free with Win98 or IE5.0 plugin) to save quick page edits. Microsoft is stalling on a fix or response because they know I've been a reseller of theirs since 1984.

Go with the Hitbox or better yet try Webtrends live FREE version for the page stats and keywords.

Let me put in a plug for an alternate to Hitbox. Try www.mycomputer.com and look at their SuperStats feature. This is by far the best search term tracking method I have ever seen.

I've been using hitbox for years, love their stats but this new site update of theirs is the pits!
    You can't access your stats through a bookmark any longer, you have to go through their front door and wait for their site and a pop up to load, ( I can cook dinner by the time it loads!) and the new choice of banners - well it's a 125 or a 468.

I have been looking around for somewhere else that will give me the same great stat features they have, as yet still to find one.
    I'll check out the mycomputer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

MouseJockey, I had that same problem with bookmarking the site. It works for me now! I'm not quite sure what I ended up bookmarking though. Try either the page before you sign in or after you sign in.

Below might work but I'm not sure. Just put your acct# where I have your account number here.
    http://vwr1.hitbox.com/HitboxUI?acct=your account number here&p=1&rf=hc

Ecom and others;
    The latest Webtrends line FREE version does not give keywords. You now have to upgrade to the pay version to get keywords.
    Ken

If you have a big discrepancy in the #hit between hitbox and the server log, then it may mean:
    People are closing their browser after going to your site, a.k.a. you have to change your site design!

That's just one usage of comparing server log and the hitbox.

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: Icicle ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mousejockey:
    I've been using hitbox for years, love their stats but this new site update of theirs is the pits! You can't access your stats through a bookmark any longer, you have to go through their front door<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the same problem too. The next time you get to your stats page, bookmark it (instead of the Hitbox homepage). You can avoid their page from that point on.

I love their stats too. I checked out Webtrends, and discovered you have to pay for keywords too.

Here's the really sad part. My webhost uses WebTrends, and for the $14.95/month I pay, they're supposed to be including the reports in the package. Only there was a crash three months ago and ever since, my stats have been screwed up.

I really like hitbox's realtime stats though. And now that they track every page, I think I'll just stick with them.

Tracy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Icicle:
    If you are planning to change each page by hand - there is a faster way.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you, Icicle. I thought about that, but it's been a long time since I did housecleaing, so althought it's a slow process I'm reviewing each page. It's amazing how much I've learned since I originally created them. I'm doing things like adding links to cooking utensils to recipe-only pages, and stuff like that. Might as well pitch a product while I'm giving away a free recipe.

How did this happen to me anyway? It all started out with a small six-page site to promote my mother's book. Now I'm pushing 200 pages. This is so addicting.

Tracy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    Microsoft has really messed up on FP2002 server extensions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for the heads up! That's $90 you saved me not upgrading. Maybe by the time they come out with FP2004 they'll have all the bugs worked out. But, probably will add a few more for grins.

Tracy

ABW Ambassador
    Tracy,
    I agree with firing your webhost...they should have some decent stats available to you. Although all stats won't tell everything, you should also have access to your log files...however, I could be a little biased [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Tom Pyles

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread